HTC One (M8): Signal Strength with Sprint

snobrdr2324

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Signal Strength with Sprint

Actually since the 4.3 update the Evo 4G LTE does only show data bars, until on a call and then switches to voice strength. It was a concern for my while testing the build for HTC. I'm assuming the M8 works the same way. I doubt there is an issue with your phone.

True, My second quote addresses 4.3 and up phones in favt. I just assumed the OP hadn't used the RUU to update his phone since 4.3 wasn't released OTA and the RUU wasn't widely advertised before being pulled.

caryds

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

I stand corrected! I received the replacement phone from Sprint today, and it is behaving the same way. I guess I will just have to get used to not knowing whether or not I have a voice signal, while I am connected to LTE or Spark. At least until Sprint realizes that this is assinine (IMHO) and changes it back!

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
This was the same on the M7 and it did take a bit of getting use to.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

juststart

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I just got mine and it's working great except it falls back to 3g a lot. In most areas where I had lte previously, it's not connecting. Kind of a bummer.

Posted via Android Central App

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site

I stand corrected! I received the replacement phone from Sprint today, and it is behaving the same way. I guess I will just have to get used to not knowing whether or not I have a voice signal, while I am connected to LTE or Spark. At least until Sprint realizes that this is assinine (IMHO) and changes it back!

There is nothing to change. With only one data path is not possible to show you voice signal strength while connected to 4G. Don't worry though, LTE is a more fragile signal than 1x voice so if you have LTE you will have voice unless the tower is messed up.

Posted via Android Central App

armil88

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
You guys saved me the trouble of having to exchange my phone. I have exactly the same issue with Cardys and have actually worked on Sprint's LTE build out in Chicago. It is definitely not a robust LTE network, yet. I started noticing the issue when my Pandora account would not lock onto any songs and would time out indicating poor signal issues even when the LTE site is across the street. I will try switching to CDMA only and test the Pandora account.

Thanks guys.

El_Guyo_Loco

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
This will be good news for some and bad news for others. It's not your phone that's messed up(Good news) it's sprints network(bad news). Their network couldn't handle all of the provisioning commands for the M8 and S5 that went through in the same week. So it killed the Network. BUT mainly just those areas that have Spark availble because Spark wasn't properly tested before it was released. Sprint never fully tests product/services before the put them out just so they can be the one to say we had it first.(just like they did with there version of 4G(wimax) yeah they had it first but when everyone else started their 4G(LTE) the speeds were 3-5 times faster an more consistant than Wimax and of course Sprint had to play catch up.

And now due to the "Spark Network" those of us with a M8 or S5 are S.O.L. until this gets resolved. I've had my M8 for 6 days and couldn't make or receive calls for 3 days and since then I can make a call but any and every call that last longer than 1 minute gets dropped. and internet HA! no facebooking for me unless it's on a wifi signal. The only way to get around this is to get a phone other than an M8 or S5.(although there are several other phones on Spark they work a little better because they were provisioned weeks and even months ago).

Now some M8s and S5s may be working because their provisioning commands made it through before everything went crazy but there are 100 of thousands of phones that did not.And this is only happening on Sprints network, other carries phones are working as designed.

For the recotd I'm not hating on Sprint I have had them for 15 years, I just wanted to let you all know what's going on.

vinniemac

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

The only thing asinine is complaining about a phone which is working perfectly and whining to Sprint until they waste resources sending you another phone. Your phone is displaying the signal strength of the network which it is connected to. It can only connect to one network at a time, since it's impossible to make a phone which can do both Spark and SVLTE without sacrificing battery life and production cost.

How precisely do you expect a phone to report a 1x signal strength when it IS NOT connected to a 1x signal? To wish for something impossible is really really stupid.

If you have an irrational need to know 1x signal strength, then turn off LTE.

caryds

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

How precisely do you expect a phone to report a 1x signal strength when it IS NOT connected to a 1x signal? To wish for something impossible is really really stupid.

Very precisely. And the only thing that is really, really stupid, is someone that doesn't realize that they do own a device, that ALREADY IS capable of displaying the signal strength for a network that they are not connected to. Here's an idea. Take a look at your available Wi-Fi networks. Are you connected to all of them? Do you see signal strengths for networks you're not connected too?

Matt121987

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site

I have the same problem and I am from the Chicago area. I have 1-0 bars when I am not actually on the phone with someone and then it bumps up to max bars when on the phone. I am also unable to view any videos as it keep saying "Connection Not Available Please Try Again". However I will probably hold off on replacing the phone since it did not fix the issue.

vinniemac

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

If you don't understand the difference between wifi and CDMA/LTE, you are too intellectually deficient to have rational conversation about this.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I'm going to kind of change things up here. I have my new M8 and it connects to LTE/CDMA no problem. I haven't had a reason to complain. However, I do go to school in an area with virtually no Sprint signal. And I haven't seen the M8 roam once where the M7 would. Instead the phone just shuts off connectivity. Furthermore, there are no roaming settings. uploadfromtaptalk1397585267372.jpg

So are the bands there to roam on Verizon or what?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

vinniemac

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Okay so I'm going to kind of change things up here. I have my new M8 and it connects to LTE/CDMA no problem. I haven't had a reason to complain. However, I do go to school in an area with virtually no Sprint signal. And I haven't seen the M8 roam once where the M7 would. Instead the phone just shuts off connectivity. Furthermore, there are no roaming settings. View attachment 112723

So are the bands there to roam on Verizon or what?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Something is wrong on your phone. Maybe try and update your profile. You are definitely missing some options...

Screenshot_2014-04-15-16-38-43.jpg

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Here's a question, in low reception areas (read: inside a large building) is it common to see 3G dropping out every minute or so? 1x remains constant, but while the 3G signal is apparently about as strong (signal check pro), it goes to no connection for a moment every few minutes.

Sent from my 831C using AC Forums mobile app

Androidaholic

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Here is the breakdown of Sprints different technologies and how they are used !

Frequency band Band number Generation Radio Interface Status Notes
800 MHz ESMR CDMA Band Class 10 3G CDMA 1x Advanced Active/Building out For voice and low-speed data (<150kbps) [5]
800 MHz ESMR LTE Band 26 4G LTE Sprint Spark Active/Building out
1900 MHz PCS CDMA Band Class 1 3G CDMA 1xRTT (1xAdvanced in some markets) Active
1900 MHz PCS CDMA Band Class 1 3G CDMA EVDO Rev. A Active
1900 MHz PCS LTE Band 25 4G LTE Sprint Spark Active/Building out "Primary" LTE band[43]
2.5 GHz BRS/EBS N/A 4G WiMAX Active/Decommissioning by the end of 2015 No longer selling WiMAX devices. 2015-2016 - Tentative date[6]
2.5 GHz BRS/EBS LTE Band 41 4G TDD-LTE Sprint Spark Active/Building out Phase 1 and Phase 2 Deployment Underway [44]

They use 800 mhz CDMA class 1x advanced for voice and text messages which is a form of 3g technology but nothing like 3g HSPA. There are several different types of 3g technology Sprint uses 3 different types on there own CDMA 1x, CDMA 1xrtt, and CDMA EVDO Rev.A Eventually it will be phased out and replaced with LTE and Verizon will be the first one to do so. A carrier can only do it though when they have completely covered there low frequency 3g foot print 700mhz or 800mhz for building penetration and long distance signals with a low frequency LTE technology in the 700 mhz or 800mhz bands to ensure tthe best call quality and signal availabilty inside buildings and other hard to reach places. Then they try to use LTE for Data like video and web surfing but if not available you are kicked down a slower 3g technology or on some carriers even 2g. Sprint desperately needs to get broad coverage with there 800 mhz LTE in order to keep up with and compete with At&T and Verizon and there 700 mhz LTE frequencies. They do of course have all of the old Nextel Network but they also need more towers that are 800 mhz capable in addition to the existing iden ones to make the switch to LTE voice down the road. When that happens we will get simultaneous voice and data again.

Androidaholic

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Here's a question, in low reception areas (read: inside a large building) is it common to see 3G dropping out every minute or so? 1x remains constant, but while the 3G signal is apparently about as strong (signal check pro), it goes to no connection for a moment every few minutes.

Sent from my 831C using AC Forums mobile app

Because 1x is 800mhz 3g and the other 3g is 1900 mhz and worse for building penetration.