HTC One (M8): Can you download to the microSD card?

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I know with KK 4.4 that there are major revisions as to how apps can relate to the sd card. But, on the phone, can you dl data, jpegs, mp3. files, etc to the card directly? ...and, can you move files from internal to sd using ES Explorer or similar?
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Can you DL to the microSD card?

I've never tried to download directly to the sd card, but I do know you can move apps to sd in the settings menu. Also you can have your pictures and video stored directly to the sd card when you take them

Posted via Android Central App

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site

On my old phone I would frequently copy photos from Dropbox to the SD card on the phone but can't to it with the M8. I can connect the phone to a computer and copy the photos to the SD card that way. Kind of a pain. Have had some other trouble moving things around with Astro or ES Explorer. I assume it's all due to the security feature of KK.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site

Hmm I've been able to download my ringtone from Google drive and then move it to the ringtones folder using root explorer. I'm not rooted.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

On my old phone I would frequently copy photos from Dropbox to the SD card on the phone but can't to it with the M8. I can connect the phone to a computer and copy the photos to the SD card that way. Kind of a pain. Have had some other trouble moving things around with Astro or ES Explorer. I assume it's all due to the security feature of KK.

It is because of the API's in Kit Kat, so you are correct. On the M8 you can set the camera to automatically save on the SD card. Google Play Music has a setting for this also.

Any other app will be dependent on the developer to get the proper support built in. I'm sure they will, since this change is across the board for any device with an SD card slot that's also on KK.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Wow. That completely sucks! You have to go onto a PC to move files?!
Even my four-year old gingerbread device lets ES move files back and forth.
Say, you get Amazon.mp3 downloads...they go to a folder on the internal drive. I want all my media files on the external...so I just move all the downloaded files. Or you pull stuff from DropBox to your SD card...
Now I can't do this on KitKAt??? Even with Root Explorer? (question: do you have to root to use Root Explorer?)

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
That TOTALLY sucks! Wow. This feels like something apple would do.. "We're sorry. We refuse to allow you access to the directory structure because only we know what's best for you."

And, if you root and go Cyanogenmod?

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I read that. One section of the article is entitled "Do you want it easy or do you want it secure? "

Hey Google, you know what? I WANT BOTH!

Why is that too much to ask?
Set default parameters to not allow write to folders that the app didn't create and allow manual toggle of those which you allow to... namely, something like ES Explorer.

If you're using this MOBILE device as a PORTABLE computer it's insane to require a hookup to a PC for data management
Damm!

B0oH0o

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I've moved tv shows from internal storage gallery to sd card (HTC m8) press and hold on video file within gallery - select move to - then up in the top right corner press the add new folder icon - then you can add the name of the folder and below there's a option to make the new folder on the sd card . I guess this will work for any file within the gallery

I'm able to play the files from within the gallery

So I download to my internal the move to sd

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Just found out how to save to sd card. Go to settings - storage - and then down at the bottom there is a storage settings option. You can change where different apps save to where. Internet, voice recorder, messages, Bluetooth, and camera.

So apparently yes, you can download directly to the sd card. Hope this helps you!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood