HTC One (M8): SD card issues

android jack

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I had a HTC Rezound and with it came a 16gb sd card. So I moved it to my new HTC One but since then I've been having issues. All photos, videos, music and others are read correctly.
The problem is moving files to the sd card or within it. Happened when using a file explorer app, backing up sms/calls to sd card and all had some kind of error.

Any suggestions or thoughts of what is going on?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: SD card issues

I'm wandering if HTC is doing some workarounds to that limitation like Samsung is. I'm having no problems moving files around with ES File Explorer and none of my apps seem to have any problems with accessing them. Using a 64gb Sandisk Ultra in mine. For instance all of my music is in a generic music folder on mine and all of my various music programs seem to be able to use them. Same thing with my videos. I have a mileage app that writes a text file to the root of the card and it works also though under the new rules nothing is supposed to be able to write to root.

You may want to back up your card and try formatting it in your new phone. If my theory is right that may fix your problem and if I'm wrong no harm no foul.

Armadillo, the other white meat.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

I'm wandering if HTC is doing some workarounds to that limitation like Samsung is. I'm having no problems moving files around with ES File Explorer and none of my apps seem to have any problems with accessing them. Using a 64gb Sandisk Ultra in mine.

My new M8 is being delivered today and I also routinely use ES File Explorer. I hope that HTC does have a workaround for this KitKat limitation as I routinely move files around from internal memory to the sd card on previous phones. I'll be sure to give it a try when mine arrives later today. Thanks for the heads up with your experience.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

It's bloody annoying, I'll say that.
Can't move pictures from local storage to SD.
Can't change my torrents directory to SD.
Grrr....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

I've managed to move my photos from internal to external by copying to the PC first, then from the PC to the SD.
Same for torrents.
Bit of a nause but not the end of the world.

android jack

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

Check out this article, it may help explain what's going on. KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central
If I understand correctly, moving/writing files to the sd card is limited to apps and the folders that they create on the sd card because of security protocols implemented in KitKat.

Well that sucks, thought having a sd card slot solved my worries until this.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Well that sucks, thought having a sd card slot solved my worries until this.

Honestly there are enough apps that you can move to the sd card to make it viable. Not all can though so be aware of that. You can also store all your pics and videos on the sd as soon as you take them, which really helps out. You might want to get a class 10 sd card for faster read/write speeds. I have like 10gb of pics and videos so it really makes a difference having them on the sd card

Posted via Android Central App

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

My new M8 is being delivered today and I also routinely use ES File Explorer. I hope that HTC does have a workaround for this KitKat limitation as I routinely move files around from internal memory to the sd card on previous phones. I'll be sure to give it a try when mine arrives later today. Thanks for the heads up with your experience.

I do the same thing and it's not going to work on the M8. Even if ES updates its app, it won't work. 3rd party apps can only modify one directory on the external card.

this is by far the most frustrating thing on this phone.

Fotoav8r

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site

I don't understand. I moved a boatload of photos, and music from my old Galaxy s4, and am not having any problems at all. I did format the card in the M8 before doing anything, so maybe that's why; or just haven't noticed any issues yet;)

Analyss14

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

Viewing media stored on the card works fine. The problem some people are having is allowing apps write access to the card.

Fotoav8r

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site

I gather some people have so many apps they have to use the SD card? I had problems just storing media on my Galaxy s4 with SD cards. Never worked correctly, so I was glad to see it working fine on this phone. I have a 32gb, but might need a 64. Again, on the Galaxy 64 had more problems than 32.

Actually, I spoke/wrote too soon. I thought this issue with apps on SD cards has not been my problem. Haven't others had the same basic problems getting their SD cards to simply copy files to them? Even on my last Galaxy I had a lot of trouble getting all my photos, and videos copied over to the SD card. The M8 started out fine, but now I'm having the same problems. I tried to copy a bunch of folders with personal photos, and it simply doesn't work. I see the usual progress bar on my pc, but when I look in the M8, there's nothing there. Maybe it's the same issue talked about here, and I just don't see the connection.

Last edited:

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

I gather some people have so many apps they have to use the SD card? I had problems just storing media on my Galaxy s4 with SD cards. Never worked correctly, so I was glad to see it working fine on this phone. I have a 32gb, but might need a 64. Again, on the Galaxy 64 had more problems than 32.

Actually, I spoke/wrote too soon. I thought this issue with apps on SD cards has not been my problem. Haven't others had the same basic problems getting their SD cards to simply copy files to them? Even on my last Galaxy I had a lot of trouble getting all my photos, and videos copied over to the SD card. The M8 started out fine, but now I'm having the same problems. I tried to copy a bunch of folders with personal photos, and it simply doesn't work. I see the usual progress bar on my pc, but when I look in the M8, there's nothing there. Maybe it's the same issue talked about here, and I just don't see the connection.

I found the SD got a bit flubbery at times.
Sometimes I could copy to it just fine, then sometimes it would just sit there and throw up errors.
Recently it's been better so I've stopped worrying about it for now, but yes, long and short, I've had some problems copying to the SD from the PC.
A quick reconnection of the USB cable has sorted it sometimes.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Every device that gets Kit Kat will behave this way. There are no more workarounds being implemented by any manufacturers.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

Every device that gets Kit Kat will behave this way. There are no more workarounds being implemented by any manufacturers.

^This. People can stop crediting it to the M8 as it's the future of Android. I think it was a necessary step, security-wise.

android jack

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

So basically any app like es file explorer are uselless when dealing with the sd card. Can't move stuff around just store photos video etc

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

It's bloody annoying, I'll say that.
Can't move pictures from local storage to SD.
Can't change my torrents directory to SD.
Grrr....

KitKat is annoying in this respect, but don't use a 3rd party File Manager. Use the native file manager, it should work fine for all those functions. Some 3rd party apps are adjusting a bit---MX Player Pro, for instance, can at least delete files.

I think it was a necessary step, security-wise.

Why is modifying the sd card such an amazingly important issue, but the 3rd party apps are allowed to modify the actual phone, and that's not? How is that any less a security issue?

In any event, I think this security fix was badly implemented, overbroad and incredibly annoying. If they insist on going down this path, there are other ways to do it. The Microsoft model would be a good one. A box pops up: "Do you want to authorize this program to modify your xyz file?" Yes or no. It would also be fine to have an option to turn this off universally, leave it as a question, or prevent all modifications. I.e, choice.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

KitKat is annoying in this respect, but don't use a 3rd party File Manager. Use the native file manager, it should work fine for all those functions. Some 3rd party apps are adjusting a bit---MX Player Pro, for instance, can at least delete files.

Why is modifying the sd card such an amazingly important issue, but the 3rd party apps are allowed to modify the actual phone, and that's not? How is that any less a security issue?

In any event, I think this security fix was badly implemented, overbroad and incredibly annoying. If they insist on going down this path, there are other ways to do it. The Microsoft model would be a good one. A box pops up: "Do you want to authorize this program to modify your xyz file?" Yes or no. It would also be fine to have an option to turn this off universally, leave it as a question, or prevent all modifications. I.e, choice.

Thanks, does the M8 have a native file manager?

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, does the M8 have a native file manager?

It is native to Android overall, so all Android phones have it. It is called "MY FILES" in the app drawer.

=- just noticed your comment about the Torrents directory. If that's something you don't create manually but is actually a question of allowing the app to run from the Card---that's a different issue. In recent (Jelly Bean?) versions of Android, Google also created new restrictions about running apps from the card that didn't exist previously.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

It is native to Android overall, so all Android phones have it. It is called "MY FILES" in the app drawer.

=- just noticed your comment about the Torrents directory. If that's something you don't create manually but is actually a question of allowing the app to run from the Card---that's a different issue. In recent (Jelly Bean?) versions of Android, Google also created new restrictions about running apps from the card that didn't exist previously.

I haven't got a My files app on my phone that I can see.
The torrent client creates folders as far as I know although you can specify where they are.
If I try pointing it to the SD it comes back with an error.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance