HTC One (M8): Disable dot view?

BlueBeetle

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to disable the dot view feature? I use a magnetic car holder (Mountek nGroove Snap) and when I try and use it the phone thinks I have the dot view case on. Is there any way to disable this? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Disable dot view?

Not that I know of. Since its a magnet in the phone and on the case that triggers this, it is a hardware feature. I tried to show my girlfriend what it looks like with an iPad case magnet and couldn't trigger it

Posted via Android Central App

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

Under applications / all there's something called dotmatrix. Maybe that's it. I don't think you can disable it though.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Fotoav8r

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site

What is dot view anyway. I know there's a case coming out that looks great, but it sounds like you're talking about something on the phone

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
What is dot view anyway. I know there's a case coming out that looks great, but it sounds like you're talking about something on the phone

It is a case. They made the functionality into an app on the phone and in the play store. Hopefully to add more features later on

Also, it's already out. You can purchase it from Verizon, either online or in store, and HTC themselves depending on availability

Posted via Android Central App

gooroo_dougie

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to disable the dot view feature? I use a magnetic car holder (Mountek nGroove Snap) and when I try and use it the phone thinks I have the dot view case on. Is there any way to disable this? Thanks!

I have the same mount (which I love, and used for a long time with my HTC Droid DNA) and whenever I put the phone on the mount, Dot View mode would turn on, overriding car mode or anything else I had on the screen (like music, maps, etc). I just got off of customer support with HTC, and it looks like there's no way to turn this off. Any strong magnet will activate Dot View mode; it's a hardware feature with no software settings. Bummer - I love that mount. But I really like my new M8 as well, so I'll be looking around for other options, including the HTC-brand dash/window mount.

GregIsARadDude

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I have the same mount (which I love, and used for a long time with my HTC Droid DNA) and whenever I put the phone on the mount, Dot View mode would turn on, overriding car mode or anything else I had on the screen (like music, maps, etc). I just got off of customer support with HTC, and it looks like there's no way to turn this off. Any strong magnet will activate Dot View mode; it's a hardware feature with no software settings. Bummer - I love that mount. But I really like my new M8 as well, so I'll be looking around for other options, including the HTC-brand dash/window mount.

I have a similar magnetic mount, and i found that usually i can keep the dot view from popping up if i have the magnet more to the left of the phone (When looking at the screen, so right side of the back) The sensor that turns on dot view is on the right middle of the phone (while loping at the screen) i think. Ive gotten pretty good at placing the phone so it doesn't pop up.

Duke7

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if it's a fluke or if it'll even keep working but I took some aluminum foil (aluminium if you're across the pond ;) ), folded it up to just a bit bigger than the magnet, slid it in between the phone and the case and the DotView is no longer activating. It's not the prettiest solution since I have a clear back case but for now I'm happy because it works!! Here's to hoping it keeps working and isn't just a fluke! :D

BlueBeetle

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

hhead

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I second this... Followed the instructions and it WORKED! I am rapt. Thanks BlueBeetle. I can use my magnetic car mount now without the phone becoming unusable in "Dot View" (without the dot view case). Yay for you!

On another note... HTC - how about a software update to give a switch to turn the Dot View feature off. Not everyone is going to buy the Dot View case and a proportion of people are going to use magnetic mounts... just sayin...

tnstra

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
In the past I've been able to very carefully separate the holder and remove the magnet. Stops the problem. However, keep the little magnet in a safe place in case you decide to use it.....
Cheers
Tom

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The Dot View often shows up on my phone for no rhyme nor reason. It's nowhere near a magnet, and I usually have to press the power button twice to get it to go away.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk.

KenReels

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I've found that the only way is to place it so that the center of the phone is not touching any of the mount since I've found that the magnet is in the dead center of the phone. It's kinda crazy that you can't just disable that feature but that's the solution I've found.

sytheii

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it was a fluke. i put a double folded amount of aluminum foil between my case and phone, covering the entire back of phone that was invisible, and tried slapping my phone on a couple of metal surfaces ( I use NITEIZE's STEELIE magnetic mount) and it works like a charm. Definately a jury-rigged solution, but if you use a case, this is the way to go. I would root my device but untill someone finds a way to permanently root the M8. I'm not futzing with it.

Thanks brother! And thank you google!

I don't know if it's a fluke or if it'll even keep working but I took some aluminum foil (aluminium if you're across the pond ;) ), folded it up to just a bit bigger than the magnet, slid it in between the phone and the case and the DotView is no longer activating. It's not the prettiest solution since I have a clear back case but for now I'm happy because it works!! Here's to hoping it keeps working and isn't just a fluke! :D

fyfe73

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I placed a UK 5 pence coin between the case and phone. It's pretty much the same size as the magnet so it's hidden (it's a clear case I'm using) Seems to work and an easy solution for now.

Mortaneus

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Maybe things have changed since this thread started, but my M8 came with an app called HTC Dot View. Open that and there is a check box to turn Dot View off.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Maybe things have changed since this thread started, but my M8 came with an app called HTC Dot View. Open that and there is a check box to turn Dot View off.

Unfortunately, unchecking turn on Dot View does not stop the services from running, and your system may recheck the app after you restart your phone. Restart your phone and go into running apps, and you'll probably see Dot View running there. If you then reopen the Dot View app you'll probably see it has rechecked the turn Dot View on option. In previous versions of android the service could be stopped (at least briefly), but if you go into App Manager -> All -> HTC Dot View you'll probably find that Force stop doesn't work. :mad:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc