What are HTC One (M8) users using for text?

robbski300

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: What are M8 users using for text?

I've got the GPE, I'm using Handcent. Still trying to get used to the limited colors of the notification light after coming from a galaxy nexus.

Limited colors? Oh no! What are they limited to? I'm still waiting for Best Buy to get me my phone. Ugh.

robbski300

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

Green and a yellowish/orange color. Killing me without blue

Oh man, that sucks. I've grown accustomed to using blue, red, green, pink, and cyan for easy identification purposes. Only 2 colors?!! Not cool. :(

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

I am currently using the stock texting application that comes with the device. This is the only one I have used in my history of Android.

Kryptonal

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

I'm currently using Google Hangouts as my text messaging app because most of the people I regularly message use Hangouts. So taking that into account it's easier for me to just do it all from one app.

Posted via Android Central App

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Verizon has it's own messaging app which is quite good, never used it until this phone came out.

That's a sign of a great phone...using the vzw app...GREAT PURCHASE!!! *two thumbs up and grin* ...enjoy

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site

EvolveSMS is my preferred text app... Loved handcent. But went with Evolve and haven't looked back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

LocationDudeNYC

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

Using GoSMS I installed their plug in for emoji. But how do I get emoji using SwiftKey on the stock messaging App?

SeanJamesWright

May 8, 2013
Visit site

I'm using Hangouts as my default messaging app. I find it to have a cleaner and more friendly UI than the stock app.

Posted via my HTC One_M8 using the Android Central App

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

I used to use Handcent, then textra, then hangouts over the past year but I can honestly say the stock HTC messaging app is the friendliest and cleanest messaging app I have ever used. It really makes this phone...chat bubbles are 2007 folks!!

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I used to use Handcent, then textra, then hangouts over the past year but I can honestly say the stock HTC messaging app is the friendliest and cleanest messaging app I have ever used. It really makes this phone...chat bubbles are 2007 folks!!

kinda agree....+ missed notifications numbers never seem to work with Handcent. with the stock it's never a problem.

Ultrapale

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I'm using the stock HTC app, but the contact pics aren't showing up, I've tried changing them, and a reset of the phone, but still nothing. It's a little thing, but irritates me anyway, anyone else?

Posted via Android Central App

ptom13

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I used Chomp SMS for the longest time but I have just downloaded Hello SMS and I love it! So clean and easy to use! Also, does anyone have a pic of the HTC messaging app? I'm curious as to what it will look like when I get this phone on Monday.

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

Thank you for the good info people.
So if you type a text that goes over 160 characters, the app will flip to MMS or will it get broken into two SS?

Very old texting apps will break more than 160 characters up into 2 or more messages if required. Modern texting apps will display messages longer than 160 characters as one continuing message. Both on the sender's as well as on the recipient's device.
MMS is invoked if you attach graphic and/or media files (i.o.w. pictures, audio and video files). But those are (very) limited in size!

SMS and MMS messages use mobile networks always! Even if you're on WiFi! So they 'eat' into your monthly dataplan if you have one. Not a problem with SMS as those are tiny, tiny 'files' (which is why many providers can afford to offer 'free SMS'). But with MMS messages it's a different ballgame altogether. Those are up to thousands of times the size of SMS messages. And eat into monthly dataplans real quick! Which can get expensive! Best to avoid MMS when possible.

However, with a smartphone you can also use internet (when you're in a WiFi hotspot like at home, at work, in hotels, bars, restaurants, caf?s, airports, train stations, etc. etc.; the number of WiFi hotspots is exploding). This means you can also use 'IM', 'Instant Messaging' as an m.o. Looks a lot like SMS/MMS on your phone but the main difference is that sending and receiving messages are completely free. Whatever the size of the messages.

IM requires IM apps on both devices.
My favorites are Telegram and Viber. Both free and in the Play Store. Both work on Android and on iOS (iPhones and iPads).
Telegram is very fast and secure, and allows really big or many files to be attached (e.g. videos up to 1GB). Viber has got a very nice User Interface and also enables 'VoIP' ('Voice over IP', or audio calling via the internet) and video calling (via the internet). Attached video files are limited to 90 seconds or 10MB, whichever comes first, however.

Hangouts requires yet another registration. At Google+. Which is Google, obviously. And Google is (more than) big enough already, imo. So I recommend you avoid Hangouts.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance