04-21-2014 09:18 PM
68 123
tools
    I'm currently using Google Hangouts as my text messaging app because most of the people I regularly message use Hangouts. So taking that into account it's easier for me to just do it all from one app.

Posted via Android Central App
    04-04-2014 08:37 PM
    Verizon has it's own messaging app which is quite good, never used it until this phone came out.
    That's a sign of a great phone...using the vzw app...GREAT PURCHASE!!! *two thumbs up and grin* ...enjoy
    04-04-2014 10:01 PM
    That's a sign of a great phone...using the vzw app...GREAT PURCHASE!!! *two thumbs up and grin* ...enjoy
    Um..Ok, thanks?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    04-04-2014 10:05 PM
    I've been using Chomp SMS for ages.. am I the only one?
    04-04-2014 10:22 PM
    EvolveSMS is my preferred text app... Loved handcent. But went with Evolve and haven't looked back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    04-04-2014 10:22 PM
    Using GoSMS I installed their plug in for emoji. But how do I get emoji using SwiftKey on the stock messaging App?
    04-04-2014 10:55 PM
    I'm using Hangouts as my default messaging app. I find it to have a cleaner and more friendly UI than the stock app.

Posted via my HTC One_M8 using the Android Central App
    04-04-2014 10:57 PM
    I used to use Handcent, then textra, then hangouts over the past year but I can honestly say the stock HTC messaging app is the friendliest and cleanest messaging app I have ever used. It really makes this phone...chat bubbles are 2007 folks!!
    04-04-2014 11:11 PM
    I used to use Handcent, then textra, then hangouts over the past year but I can honestly say the stock HTC messaging app is the friendliest and cleanest messaging app I have ever used. It really makes this phone...chat bubbles are 2007 folks!!
    kinda agree....+ missed notifications numbers never seem to work with Handcent. with the stock it's never a problem.
    04-05-2014 04:22 AM
    Another vote for Hangouts.

04-05-2014 08:12 AM
    I'm using the stock HTC app, but the contact pics aren't showing up, I've tried changing them, and a reset of the phone, but still nothing. It's a little thing, but irritates me anyway, anyone else?

04-05-2014 08:58 AM
    Hangouts

04-05-2014 10:10 AM
    I used Chomp SMS for the longest time but I have just downloaded Hello SMS and I love it! So clean and easy to use! Also, does anyone have a pic of the HTC messaging app? I'm curious as to what it will look like when I get this phone on Monday.
    04-05-2014 10:13 AM
    Thanks everyone.
    04-05-2014 11:17 AM
    Thank you for the good info people.
    So if you type a text that goes over 160 characters, the app will flip to MMS or will it get broken into two SS?
    Very old texting apps will break more than 160 characters up into 2 or more messages if required. Modern texting apps will display messages longer than 160 characters as one continuing message. Both on the sender's as well as on the recipient's device.
    MMS is invoked if you attach graphic and/or media files (i.o.w. pictures, audio and video files). But those are (very) limited in size!

SMS and MMS messages use mobile networks always! Even if you're on WiFi! So they 'eat' into your monthly dataplan if you have one. Not a problem with SMS as those are tiny, tiny 'files' (which is why many providers can afford to offer 'free SMS'). But with MMS messages it's a different ballgame altogether. Those are up to thousands of times the size of SMS messages. And eat into monthly dataplans real quick! Which can get expensive! Best to avoid MMS when possible.

However, with a smartphone you can also use internet (when you're in a WiFi hotspot like at home, at work, in hotels, bars, restaurants, cafés, airports, train stations, etc. etc.; the number of WiFi hotspots is exploding). This means you can also use 'IM', 'Instant Messaging' as an m.o. Looks a lot like SMS/MMS on your phone but the main difference is that sending and receiving messages are completely free. Whatever the size of the messages.

IM requires IM apps on both devices.
    My favorites are Telegram and Viber. Both free and in the Play Store. Both work on Android and on iOS (iPhones and iPads).
    Telegram is very fast and secure, and allows really big or many files to be attached (e.g. videos up to 1GB). Viber has got a very nice User Interface and also enables 'VoIP' ('Voice over IP', or audio calling via the internet) and video calling (via the internet). Attached video files are limited to 90 seconds or 10MB, whichever comes first, however.

Hangouts requires yet another registration. At Google+. Which is Google, obviously. And Google is (more than) big enough already, imo. So I recommend you avoid Hangouts.
    Rose4uKY likes this.
    04-05-2014 11:59 AM
    I noticed something that came with the phone messaging plus but I deleted it. I just decided to use and keep Handcent and not use Google Hangouts for texting but if I can use it for IM than I'll use it instead of Yahoo Messenger. I also use Tikl for walkie talkie and sometimes messaging. But Handcent has always been my go to for texting. There's a setting I can't remember where it is though for when I send out a group message it goes individually so if one replies not everyone sees replies from people they don't know. Anyway really loving this phone.

I just recently tried CM messaging. It has a great interface and feels similar to stock offerings.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ten.slidingmms

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    04-05-2014 02:08 PM
    There's a setting I can't remember where it is though for when I send out a group message it goes individually so if one replies not everyone sees replies from people they don't know. Anyway really loving this phone.
    Handcent Settings>Send message settings>Send as split threads

Toggle this on and it splits the thread for each person when sending a group SMS.
    Rose4uKY likes this.
    04-05-2014 02:37 PM
    Stock for me!! Very clean. Didn't care for the Verizon app

04-05-2014 03:00 PM
    I'm using the stock HTC app, but the contact pics aren't showing up, I've tried changing them, and a reset of the phone, but still nothing. It's a little thing, but irritates me anyway, anyone else?

thats why i switched to the stock app-. easy contact set up-

open app
    press blank face
    press little card on right next to name
    then press little camera
    gallery or camera add picture
    virobono likes this.
    04-05-2014 03:20 PM
    I've tried this, but they still go away. Only in the messaging app, the pics from my Google account are there in phone, people and other lists, but not in messaging. I've tried changing the pic to one that is actually in the gallery on the phone with the same results.

04-05-2014 05:25 PM
    I am currently using the stock texting application that comes with the device. This is the only one I have used in my history of Android.
    I am using the stock texting app on my M7 as well.
    04-05-2014 05:42 PM
    Does Google hangouts have the pop-up that go pro and handcent have? The ability to read and reply without leaving my current task is a must.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    04-05-2014 06:51 PM
    I've been using Handcent for years. I have it customized just the way I like it

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    Rose4uKY likes this.
    04-05-2014 07:15 PM
    I'm using it, but have been giving some thought to switching over to Hangouts. After reading this thread, though, I think I'll probably stick with Chomp. I use Hangouts for IM, and I know it doesn't have the pop-up notification that lets me reply without leaving my current application. I use that feature of Chomp all the time.
    04-06-2014 07:00 AM
    I love chomp SMS and have used it for years.
    04-06-2014 07:14 AM
68 123