HTC One (M8): New to Android and looking for some help

Coughs

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I just bought a HTC One M8 after using a iPhone for 5 years so it's massive step for me. I am enjoying Android so far but would love to ask a few questions. Please give me some tips and some of yourexperiences when coming from iOS. I have already noticed applications are not as polished, animations are not as smooth as iOS but the added functionality and less restrictions are welcome :)

1) What must have Applications do you recommend?
2) What Games do you recommend?
3) Unfortunately I bought the sense version is it possible to hack it to become a official google edition with prompt updates?
4) What SD card do you recommend I buy?

Thanks a lot!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: HTC One m8 (New) (help)

Hello, I just bought a HTC One M8 after using a iPhone for 5 years so it's massive step for me. I am enjoying Android so far but would love to ask a few questions. Please give me some tips and some of yourexperiences when coming from iOS. I have already noticed applications are not as polished, animations are not as smooth as iOS but the added functionality and less restrictions are welcome :)

3) Unfortunately I bought the sense version is it possible to hack it to become a official google edition with prompt updates?

Thanks a lot!!!

hello and welcome aboard.

all those questions can be answered by searching google and this forum. posting such a general question as such will result in not to many responses... if problems arise on something specific post it and you'll get some help. take it slow and learn Android. while it maybe not as smooth as Apple it is a hell of a lot more fun....

enjoy!

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

Thanks a lot!!!

Welcome to the forums! And congrats on the new phone!

1) Must have apps!
-mSecure (great password manager)
-Lookout Mobile Security (app threat detector and phone locator)
-SwiftKey (AMAZING must-have keyboard)
-CamScanner (awesome document scanner using the phone's camera)
-SoundHound (song identifier)
-Speed Test (good for judging speed performance)
-Trigger (automation and NFC tagging system)

There are a lot more, but those are some of the top apps I'd recommend any day.

2) Games
-Dots
-7X7
-Spirit
-Papa Pear Saga (warning: addicting)

These are some good one's for passing time.

3) Not sure on this one :/

4) I bought a 32GB Micro SD card (from Best Buy) on top of the 32GB of on-board storage.

micro sd - Best Buy

Hope you find this useful! :)

robbski300

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

If you're into the ability to customize your phone in ways that are completely impossible to do on an iPhone, I highly recommend Nova Launcher to replace your stock Home app!

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

Thanks a lot!!!

Welcome to AC!
Several questions but here are a few general answers.

1) your preference
2)minion rush for me
3)honestly try the sense version. HTC adds lots of goodies that you would lose by going the GE route. HTC has a public commitment to push out updates quickly so you do not have to worry there. If you want to change up the look, try Nova launcher like suggested above.
4)go for speed, class 10. Size depends on what you plan on storing on it.

sent from my Goooold HTC M8

elshagon

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

I'd second staying with sense and see if you like it. It will take a while to learn, but first reaction to anything new usually takes a while to come to like it or not. A good fast micro sd will work, class 6 or class 10 can be had for cheap on sale. Check Slickdeals for good deals, but sometimes Amazon, best buy, radio shack etc have good deals. Go with 32gb or more depending how much you want to put on it. You should be able to get a good one for $20-$30 on sale. There's plenty of websites which will point you to apps. Just type in best android apps and check out the various articles. That's what I did when I first got an android. And keep coming here and read up and ask questions.

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Long time iOS user here too. SwiftKey is amazing and probably the best thing about android.

I am still searching for good replacement apps for things like tweetbot and alien blue (for reddit) but so far I've settled on plume and reddit is fun. I'm also digging utilities like clipper and andmade share

Lots more to discover but many of the big names are here such as Evernote and Dropbox. I'm I'll be able to add to this post in the coming weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol