HTC One (M8): Is it worth it to upgrade from M7 to M8?

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
The title says it all I want to know is it really worth it to upgrade from the m7 to the m8I'm asking because I am going to buy the unlocked version of the m8 from HTC website. I would like some insight from people who have the phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: is it worth it to upgrade from m7 to m8

I went from One X to M8 and am delighted with the upgrades in multiple areas. Everything's just a step up; smoother, smarter, faster. Yes, the M7 was a step up from the One X, but not enough for me to upgrade. I hate changing phones but it was completely worthwhile for the M8.

antikk

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site

It would be like going from an iPhone 4s to an iPhone 5, but not as big of a jump lol

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

Basically if you want to and have the money and can justify the purchase then it's worth it. You could wait until the M7 gets the update to Sense 6 before you make a decision.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

100% worth it. at least it was for me.... the M8 is everything the M7 tried to be. from the better(finally loud speakers) to the (better camera)....I sold my M7 on fleabay to help offset the retail price on the M8....

good luck.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
The title says it all I want to know is it really worth it to upgrade from the m7 to the m8I'm asking because I am going to buy the unlocked version of the m8 from HTC website. I would like some insight from people who have the phone.

Reasons to do it:
Bettery battery time
Improved camera (not sure how much, but it is)
Gestures (not sure if they will come to M7 with the Sense update)
Bigger screen

Reasons not to do it:
Size-Weight
Money
Design (this is of course subjective, I just like the M7 more)

antikk

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
If one of your main reasons for upgrading is for the bigger screen like it was for me, be warned. You can only ever take advantage of the extra 0.3" when watching videos in landscape or playing games. In everyday applications you won't get any extra screen compared to the M7 because the home buttons take up roughly 0.3" of the phone lol. Everyday applications are where I want to be able to utilize the full screen; browsing websites, texting etc. How good would it have been if we had another row for apps!

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

But the speakers are virtually the same, very hard to tell the difference unless you have both phones

Your either trolling or have never heard both phones. It's NOT EVEN DEBATABLE. The M8 is much louder then the m7 period....

ahutchga1972

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
It was worth it to me. M8 feels even nicer in the hand, Blinkfeed is more detailed, and battery life is amazing!

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Basically if you want to and have the money and can justify the purchase then it's worth it. You could wait until the M7 gets the update to Sense 6 before you make a decision.

Spot on. I have both and, based on my first day with the M8, it outclasses the M7 in every way. But the M7 is a great device, and only a year old. If money were a concern or desire was minimum, I'd be happy sticking with the M7 for a while longer.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

remember the longer you hold the m7 the less you can sell it for to offset the m8....

just a thought.

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Reasons to do it:
Bettery battery time
Improved camera (not sure how much, but it is)
Gestures (not sure if they will come to M7 with the Sense update)
Bigger screen

Reasons not to do it:
Size-Weight
Money
Design (this is of course subjective, I just like the M7 more)

Re gestures, I've installed an app called Auto Screen On on my M7, so that's the Gestures taken care of.

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion yes. But keep in mind this is coming from a person that upgrades a couple of times a year. I got bored with the M7 and got an iPhone 5s in the meantime waiting for the next android heavyweights to release. But like others have said, there are incremental improvements to just about everything.
Battery life and charging times being just about the biggest improvement.
They also improved the design and build quite a bit.
Speakers are even better.
If you are into "selfies" the front cam in pretty dang good.
Also they added the co-processor tech that allows the phone to act as a pedometer and track motion for fitness apps w/o draining the battery. ironically Apples motion processor is called the M7 lol

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I too have both, and even though I think the M7 is a great device, the M8 is even better.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Re gestures, I've installed an app called Auto Screen On on my M7, so that's the Gestures taken care of.

I haven't used that particular app, but I do know that the gestures built into the m8 work really well. I just went to the play store and read what that app does. The m8 gestures are a million times better than that. You don't have to tap the proximity sensor (located at the top of the m7 and m8), you can tap directly on the screen. Is that a reason to buy it? Maybe not, but it is definitely a better implemented feature on the m8

Just figure I'd clarify a little bit

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney