Honestly, I could deal with the size of the HTC One (M8) if only....

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
You know, I was always wondering why you would do that... But it is actually more convenient for those who do not use Google Now, or are okay with setting Google Now to another gesture with Nova, as you can then shut off the screen no matter where you are in the phone.

With Nova Launcher/third party launcher gestures, you have to be on a homescreen to activate the gesture.

I think I'll try this out for a while and then see how it is... I don't use Google Now that much, but we'll see.

I've been using this for a couple days now. And I do use Google now a lot. But damn is this convenient. So far I've been good with just using the search widget to access Google now.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been using this for a couple days now. And I do use Google now a lot. But damn is this convenient. So far I've been good with just using the search widget to access Google now.

Oy, I hate that search widget haha. Now I have to just get used to swiping to turn off the screen versus Home-->Double Tap.

---

I can kind of understand not putting in double-tap-to-sleep, as a way to avoid having people accidentally turning off the screen, perhaps. I just feel like the power button is incredibly fragile (even if it may not be) so I want to avoid using it =\

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Oy, I hate that search widget haha. Now I have to just get used to swiping to turn off the screen versus Home-->Double Tap.

---

I can kind of understand not putting in double-tap-to-sleep, as a way to avoid having people accidentally turning off the screen, perhaps. I just feel like the power button is incredibly fragile (even if it may not be) so I want to avoid using it =\

I don't really like it either but I compromised... for now. Lol you were able to double tap home to sleep?

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
To the OP: DEAR GOD NO!

I came from the Note II with power button on the side and the amount of times I accidentally hit it while holding was far too numerous! So annoying when reading something on the screen and it goes black because I hit it by accident.

Or watching a film on it in landscape and resting it on its side would sometimes catch the power button.

Grr! Glad M8 has it on top.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't really like it either but I compromised... for now. Lol you were able to double tap home to sleep?

With Nova I could actually double tap home to sleep.... Gosh, you're giving me so many options now haha

I meant that I would usually have to hit Home to go to a home screen, then double tap a space to turn it off. I could change the settings so that hitting the home button on a home screen will shut off the screen... but in practice it's a bit slower than swiping the home button.

If you have animation on in the developer settings, then you have to wait for the phone to fade to the home screen, then tap Home again to turn off.

If you disable animations in dev settings then it's a tad faster but still need to do a slow-ish double tap.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
With Nova I could actually double tap home to sleep.... Gosh, you're giving me so many options now haha

I meant that I would usually have to hit Home to go to a home screen, then double tap a space to turn it off. I could change the settings so that hitting the home button on a home screen will shut off the screen... but in practice it's a bit slower than swiping the home button.

If you have animation on in the developer settings, then you have to wait for the phone to fade to the home screen, then tap Home again to turn off.

If you disable animations in dev settings then it's a tad faster but still need to do a slow-ish double tap.

Ah I see. Also with the swipe up to sleep, you can stay in an app if you wanted to so you can unlock right back into that app. I like doing that a lot, especially for texting.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
To the OP: DEAR GOD NO!

I came from the Note II with power button on the side and the amount of times I accidentally hit it while holding was far too numerous! So annoying when reading something on the screen and it goes black because I hit it by accident.

Or watching a film on it in landscape and resting it on its side would sometimes catch the power button.

Grr! Glad M8 has it on top.

Hmmm, you must have been holding it wrong. ;) Never had that problem with my Note 2. The power and volume buttons are far enough up on the sides that there is still plenty of room at the middle of the phone to hold it while still being able to easily reach the buttons if needed. For the same reason, it's also pretty easy to put the phone on its side in something like the Samsung Note 2 Stand and Spare Battery Charger (pic below) where the button(s) hang off the edge.

It's all personal preference though. I never liked the power button on the top of my old Thunderbolt (always felt like a pain to have to reach up to the top of the phone), a much smaller device than the One. :)

EB-H1J9VMAGSTA_1_400_wbattery_1.jpg

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm, you must have been holding it wrong. ;) Never had that problem with my Note 2. The power and volume buttons are far enough up on the sides that there is still plenty of room at the middle of the phone to hold it while still being able to easily reach the buttons if needed. For the same reason, it's also pretty easy to put the phone on its side in something like the Samsung Note 2 Stand and Spare Battery Charger (pic below) where the button(s) hang off the edge.

It's all personal preference though. I never liked the power button on the top of my old Thunderbolt (always felt like a pain to have to reach up to the top of the phone), a much smaller device than the One. :)

View attachment 111265

Ooh couldn't find the part in the manual that detailed how to hold your phone correctly :p

Button height largely depends on how you hold it I guess. But I'm certainly not lying! Had my Note II for a year and on the whole have nothing but good things to say about it. But the power button issue happened too often for my liking. I also had issue with the volume keys. You could quite easily inadvertently adjust the volume, especially when using a flip case.

I see your point about the charger desktop holder but to be honest I'm unlikely to carry that around on my commute by train just to hold the Note II!

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Ooh couldn't find the part in the manual that detailed how to hold your phone correctly :p

Button height largely depends on how you hold it I guess. But I'm certainly not lying! Had my Note II for a year and on the whole have nothing but good things to say about it. But the power button issue happened too often for my liking. I also had issue with the volume keys. You could quite easily inadvertently adjust the volume, especially when using a flip case.

I see your point about the charger desktop holder but to be honest I'm unlikely to carry that around on my commute by train just to hold the Note II!

Guess I was just a little surprised it could be an issue considering the size of the Note 2, where about 2/3rds of its sides don't have buttons of any kind. IMO, that makes it very easy to hold portrait or landscape without even getting close to the buttons. :) However, I could see how it may be an issue if you hold a phone more toward the top. Doing so would also make it easier to reach a power button on the top. But myself, I tend to hold a phone in the middle/lower middle (below any buttons), so trying to reach a power button on the top feels very awkward. I'd have to slide my hold further up the phone which also doesn't feel right. That's what appears to be the case for some with the HTC One (M8). So I think it's understandable why they don't like it.

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Guess I was just a little surprised it could be an issue considering the size of the Note 2, where about 2/3rds of its sides don't have buttons of any kind. IMO, that makes it very easy to hold portrait or landscape without even getting close to the buttons. :) However, I could see how it may be an issue if you hold a phone more toward the top. Doing so would also make it easier to reach a power button on the top. But myself, I tend to hold a phone in the middle/lower middle (below any buttons), so trying to reach a power button on the top feels very awkward. I'd have to slide my hold further up the phone which also doesn't feel right. That's what appears to be the case for some with the HTC One (M8). So I think it's understandable why they don't like it.

I too tend to hold a phone middle-to-lower. However rotating to landscape in your hands could knock the power button sitting quite proud of the body. Things like that used to happen.

Honestly don't see the issue with power button on top. Its not a hardship just tap the button to with your left (assuming you're holding it with your right - or vice~versa) index finger!?

Although, I confess that before I jumped on the Android ship with the Note II, I went through four generations of iPhone where the power button is on top :p So its kind of homely feeling lol :D

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
This is going to sound stupid but how does one disable Google Now?

Go to the bottom of Google now and hit the menu button, click settings and then it off.
u5ugy4u5.jpg
dusu7usa.jpg

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
That was my post.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.katecca.screenofflock&token=6yDuYYit

Download that app and you'll be able to swipe up from home and select that.

Wow, I just downloaded it and it works great! I don't use Google now or Google search so for me it is absolutely perfect. I set the preference to always use screen lock and this is exactly what I've needed. Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca