HTC One (M8) vs Droid Maxx

doogan123

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello
I recently dropped my droid maxx and cracked screen. I have a repair quote for $150.
Looking at this phone I am tempted to just buy It. But I have been a moto guy for years am an hesitant to change.
Would love if someone could help with a few questions. Let me say first that I use this for business only ...while the camera would be nice to be good it's not a priority.

how is the battery life?. My droid Maxx lasts from 6 a.m. In the morning till about 10 p.m. at night with very frequent email text calendar and internet usage. Throw in a couple of navigation tasks and it will die earlier in the evening. do you guys think the M8 would be equivalent

Will it roam in Europe?
I read somewhere that you had to pay to make it a hotspot. Is this accurate?

How is multitasking. it's not unusual to be on the phone and also working on other items on the phone. Will the M8 handle items like this well.

Not being familiar with HTC ... Does it come with a lot of bloatware. This is the single reason I have never went with Samsung. I just want a clean phone that I can use for my business the way I want to use it.

Thanks for your time folks.. These groups are invaluable.

Vm

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: M8 vs Droid Maxx

From a performance standpoint, it's going to handle things very well. The one concern I would note is with battery life. If you're currently burning through a Maxx in under a day (it appears you're saying normal for you is 16 hours, less with heavier usage), unless you have a portable charger (anker, etc) or change charging habits (ie, plug in much more often), the M8 isn't going to it. We don't have a lot of data on what "average" users are getting on the M8, but it might not matter given that you're clearly a pretty heavy user as average on the Maxx is well over 30 hours. That'd lead me to believe that your battery with the M8 would be spent by around 1 or 2 PM.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

From what I've seen, the battery life is on par with the note 3. The note has the best battery life of any device on the market, allegedly

I know everybody's use will vary, so take it how you will

If I'm wrong though, someone feel free correct me

Posted via Android Central App

Justin Stepp

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

I ditched my max for the m8. The max was slow and the battery started draining rapidly. My m8 blows it out of the water in terms of speed, software, and hardware and I would say the battery life is on par.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

From what I've seen, the battery life is on par with the note 3. The note has the best battery life of any device on the market, allegedly

I know everybody's use will vary, so take it how you will

If I'm wrong though, someone feel free correct me

As far as I know, without counting swapping batteries, the current leaders are (for most users) Droid Maxx > LG G2 >= Note 3 > HTC One Max. If the M8 is in the Note 3 space, then only the G2 and Droid Maxx would be better, but this guy is draining the Maxx in <= 16 hours (it's a 1.5-2 day phone for many users). Even a conservative average of the use of the Maxx at 40 hours, he's going through it about 2.5 faster than that value - meaning even if the M8 were a 24 hour device (it's close to 20-24 in total usage from screenshots I've seen from members that bought it on this site and from reviews), that means he could easily blow through it in 8-10 hours. From screenshots of battery life in a hangout, the M8 gets battery life on par with the Moto X. The Maxx is about 1.5-2 times the X.

doogan123

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site

Thanks everyone for the candid replies. I am OK to have to charge it during the day. That's not the end of the world. the droid maxx is def a leader in battery but I am just not in love with it like past phones.....

Justin Stepp

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
And just a heads up my max was getting similar battery life to yours so I was only getting through the day on it and I am getting roughly the same on my M8.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Hello
I recently dropped my droid maxx and cracked screen. I have a repair quote for $150.
Looking at this phone I am tempted to just buy It. But I have been a moto guy for years am an hesitant to change.
Would love if someone could help with a few questions. Let me say first that I use this for business only ...while the camera would be nice to be good it's not a priority.

how is the battery life?. My droid Maxx lasts from 6 a.m. In the morning till about 10 p.m. at night with very frequent email text calendar and internet usage. Throw in a couple of navigation tasks and it will die earlier in the evening. do you guys think the M8 would be equivalent

Will it roam in Europe?
I read somewhere that you had to pay to make it a hotspot. Is this accurate?

How is multitasking. it's not unusual to be on the phone and also working on other items on the phone. Will the M8 handle items like this well.

Not being familiar with HTC ... Does it come with a lot of bloatware. This is the single reason I have never went with Samsung. I just want a clean phone that I can use for my business the way I want to use it.

Thanks for your time folks.. These groups are invaluable.

Vm
Let's take these one at a time:
1. I was an HTC guy before becoming a Moto guy. I love the ability to change the Moto phones without having to go through S this and Lock that crap. It's much more difficult to root an HTC phone than a Moto phone, so keep that in mind, but if it's just a business phone, you probably don't want to root it, so you won't find that annoying. I came from the Maxx HD and one thing I noticed off the bat is that the lagging is not there with the M8. My Maxx HD was laggy and froze constantly. I had to reboot it daily to get rid of the freezing. It hasn't been a problem with the M8.
2. Battery Life is sub Razr Maxx. As I said, I had the Maxx HD, but I'm assuming that you could go all-day and then some with the Droid Maxx. I'm finding that I can just squeeze out a day before the phone battery reaches the magical 15%. That's where I stop using it and plug it in. With the Maxx HD, I'd normally have 25-30% left over after a days use.
3. It'll roam anywhere your current phone roams.
4. As for Hotspot, are you still on unlimited data? If so, you'll have to pony up $30 per month for hotspot, or look for a way around it by hacking the M8. If you're not unlimited and you're on a tiered plan, then no, you don't pay extra for the hotspot in the states.
5. I routinely move from one open app to another with 0 issues. It's ready for whatever multitasking you put it through, but then again, so are most of the newer phones. Remember the Maxx is an older phone and the newer phones have the newer processors, so multitasking hurts the Maxx.
6. More Bloatware? Yes. YES!! By far, way more bloatware. There's now a Verizon and HTC apps that are preloaded on the M8. Your Maxx only had some of the VZW crud, but the M8 has a lot of it. One thing that works to HTC's advantage is they let you hide that stuff and it doesn't impact the performance any. So, this isn't a deal breaker, but be advised, there's a lot of setup time getting all the bloatware hidden.
7. Samsung sucks. Stay away from all things Samsung ;)

I had the HTC Droid Incredible years ago. It's still my number 1 favorite phone of all time. I love that phone. The HTC One M8 is a nice phone, but I'm not in love. I really enjoyed the Maxx HD until they went to 4.1. Then it became a piece of poo. Laggy, constant rebooting trying to fix freezing etc.

I had a G2 since last year and I have to say, it's a really great phone. So much of a great phone, that I was almost in love with it as I was with the Dinc. Why don't I still use it? Because the hotspot is so great that it's now our house phone and we run our Home Internet off it. And wifey said it stays home. I liked that phone so much, I almost got another one to replace my Maxx HD. However, I just couldn't see dropping $550 for a new LG G2, when I could have a M8 for $600. But, I'll be taking a really hard look at the G3 when it comes out in a few months. I might just have to make another change then.

So, from one Moto guy to another, do I tell you to get the M8? Probably not. I'd tell you to hold off until the G3 comes out, then make a call. You're problem is that you have to have a phone now. For that reason, I'd say the M8 is better than your Droid Maxx. I can assure you of that. But, don't count the G2 out. It's a great little phone and comparable to your Maxx. And it has great battery life too. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably move to the G2, just because I have a lust for that phone and not so much for my M8.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois