HTC One (M8): Does your menu button work?

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I was looking through to see if anyone is having problems with the home button not working while being pressed to call up an application menu? It keeps taking me back to my home screen. Help!??

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Does your menu button work?

I was looking through to see if anyone is having problems with the home button not working while being pressed to call up an application menu? It keeps taking me back to my home screen. Help!??

What exactly do you mean by calling up a menu with the home button? The home button is just a home button. It'll take you to the home screen.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

What exactly do you mean by calling up a menu with the home button? The home button is just a home button. It'll take you to the home screen.

I think he's talking about long pressing the home button to bring up the menu, like in the HTC One M7.

To the OP, since this uses onscreen buttons, on legacy apps that still require a menu button, the 3 dot menu button will appear to the right of the multitasking button. If you don't see one there then that means the menu button will be in the app itself, usually the top right or left.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

I think he's talking about long pressing the home button to bring up the menu, like in the HTC One M7.

To the OP, since this uses onscreen buttons, on legacy apps that still require a menu button, the 3 dot menu button will appear to the right of the multitasking button. If you don't see one there then that means the menu button will be in the app itself, usually the top right or left.

I thought that may be what he was talking about. Wasn't sure.

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site

He's talking about the press and hold for menu option.
2014-04-03 14.45.00.jpg

This doesn't work for me at all in any application that I've tried.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

He's talking about the press and hold for menu option.
View attachment 111081

This doesn't work for me at all in any application that I've tried.

3yge8y2a.jpg

Don't have that option. I know it was an option on the m7 but not the m8. But I see you have motion launcher so I guess you have an m8...and your settings says buttons too. Mine doesn't.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

Looks like you have the Sprint model. Is that right?
The unlocked model doesn't have that setting option. The menu image you posted looks a lot like the updated button options for the M7.

The att model doesn't either.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Looks like you have the Sprint model. Is that right?
The unlocked model doesn't have that setting option. The menu image you posted looks a lot like the updated button options for the M7.

Yes, I have the Sprint version and it doesn't work within any application.... With or without the 3 dot menu. If it's a sprint software issue, then I'll wait for a fix otherwise I'll return the phone. I've already done a factory reset to no avail!

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Yes, I have the Sprint version and it doesn't work within any application.... With or without the 3 dot menu. If it's a sprint software issue, then I'll wait for a fix otherwise I'll return the phone. I've already done a factory reset to no avail!

It looks like Sprint changed the settings software and for whatever reason put the button options for the M7 into the M8 settings. Hopefully they will fix it with an update.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

qu5ebyze.jpg
do you have an m7? Cause this is a screenshot from my m7 running a sense 6 ROM. And it did work for me on that phone.

aquatichedgehog

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

I think the point people are making is that this is an irrelevant setting on the sprint M8. Either way you choose it, it behaves the same, and the home button will never get you to the menu. As stated earlier in this thread, if an app needs a "menu" button, the three dots appear to the right of the multitask button, thusly:
2014-04-07 19.26.37.png
you can effectively pretend that setting doesn't exist.

icenija

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

Maybe I'm not understanding but I have the Sprint version and I tested this and it works. I may be wrong so this is what I did. I was in my email and held the home button down and swiped up and it took me to the Google Now screen. Is that not what the OP was trying to do?

Ice

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Maybe I'm not understanding but I have the Sprint version and I tested this and it works. I may be wrong so this is what I did. I was in my email and held the home button down and swiped up and it took me to the Google Now screen. Is that not what the OP was trying to do?

Ice
No, the OP is trying to use a Long-Press of the Home button as a "Menu" button shortcut (see the screenshot above). Because there is no permanent button for "Menu" in the nav bar, Sprint's software added a setting to have a Long-Press of the Home button act as you pressing "Menu".

He's not trying to access Google Now, but trying to call up the menu options in apps.

I think the point people are making is that this is an irrelevant setting on the sprint M8. Either way you choose it, it behaves the same, and the home button will never get you to the menu.

Do you have a Sprint M8? I'm curious of they some how managed to remove the menu button in legacy/outdated apps because of this setting. I don't imagine that they did, but just curious. I'm sure it wouldn't appear if someone enables their special button shortcut though, just not sure if it's showing up when that option is not checked.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

Severely irritating. Not only do I hate getting the worthless google menu popping up all of the time, but I used to rely heavily on the Menu option on my One X. Not having that is slowing down my productivity since the app I use the most for my business relies on a menu button..

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

Severely irritating. Not only do I hate getting the worthless google menu popping up all of the time, but I used to rely heavily on the Menu option on my One X. Not having that is slowing down my productivity since the app I use the most for my business relies on a menu button..

If the app requires a menu button, its there somewhere. Unless it is there and you're saying you prefer it to be attached to the home button?

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

If the app requires a menu button, its there somewhere. Unless it is there and you're saying you prefer it to be attached to the home button?
It's a real hassle to get to compared to just tapping the right side button, which is all I had to do on the One X. Some things about the M8 are smarter and others are just questionable, at best.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

It's a real hassle to get to compared to just tapping the right side button, which is all I had to do on the One X. Some things about the M8 are smarter and others are just questionable, at best.

I just think that's the progression of how things change. HTC can't satisfy everyone's needs. If that's really a problem for you, I suggest rooting and unlocking and you'll surely find a mod for that somewhere.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

I just think that's the progression of how things change. HTC can't satisfy everyone's needs. If that's really a problem for you, I suggest rooting and unlocking and you'll surely find a mod for that somewhere.
I know what you're saying, but it's a matter of them taking away a non-destructive function. That's what I liked better about Motorola, I had all the options I needed and more. I enjoy the simplicity of an HTC but they'll lose my business by doing things like this. There's multiple threads where people are complaining about nonsensical choices so I know I'm not alone. I don't think I should have to root to avoid a downgrading of functionality. I don't really want to waste any more time debating it so I'll just leave it at that.