Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

09-24-2015 08:51 PM
128 12345 ...
tools
    Another HTC One M8 victim here. This has been happening since I got the phone the beginning of April. SMS messages either fail to send or take several minutes to send. Sometimes the phone even sends them more than once, or I receive them more than once. Sometimes I don't get a message at all.

- This happens on WiFi, 3G, and 4G
    - It happens with other people who have both iPhone and Android cell phones.
    - It happens regardless of the other person's carrier (I'm on Verizon).
    - Verizon support has attempted 4 separate times to fix the problem, even having my try different SMS apps to see if they work better.
    - I used to have an iPhone and the first thing they did was have Apple remove me from their iMessage system.
    - A month ago if I rebooted the phone, it would behave normally for a week or so. Now when I reboot the phone it doesn't fix anything.
    - Screen on/off doesn't - doesn't matter.

I'm very close to telling Verizon to trade me out to an iPhone. This is beyond pathetic.
    06-16-2014 08:22 AM
    Update. I've been having an issue. It will tell me it fails to send often. However, the person will still get my text because they respond to it. I've noticed if I retry sending it the other person gets it twice. Not sure why it says failed to send. I've noticed it happens more often when I'm on WiFi. Almost as if it's deciding to send it over WiFi or the network and it's timing out or something. For people getting the message that it failed to send, give it a minute and see if the person your texting actually responds to that text. I'm willing to bet they do.

Posted via Android Central App
    06-17-2014 04:05 PM
    Ddot196 what messaging app are you using?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    06-17-2014 04:22 PM
    Ddot196 what messaging app are you using?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Hangouts.

06-17-2014 04:59 PM
    It might be worth trying the stock app and see if it does the same thing.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    06-17-2014 05:24 PM
    Hangouts.

What build number of Hangouts? I can tell you that Hangouts was the sole creator of the problem for me since it was introduced at Google IO last year. I literally did not get the issue fixed until the update a few weeks ago to the Hangouts app.

I highly recommend you do the following: Update to the latest version of Hangouts, which you can see the build number I am using in the screenshot. Clear the cache and data for the Hangouts App.

This should resolve your problem. This is not an issue with your M8.

I am also on Verizon. I always have WiFi on and I can send all messages and pics without them failing. This only became possible on Hangouts without failure when there was an update a few weeks ago.

Attached Thumbnails HTC One (M8): Texting Issues-17400.jpg  
    dty06 and ddot196 like this.
    06-17-2014 06:00 PM
    Hangouts.

I have had these issues with the hangouts using sms since the day they started supporting sms, that was when I had my M7, and this issue is the same with my m8, which is why I only use the stock messaging app, and I have no issues. It is actually a hangouts issue, not the phone. Or maybe it is the way hangouts runs on the phone, if you try the stock messages app (which I noticed johnmcc0710 mentioned also) I would be willing to bet your issues will be solved.
    ddot196 likes this.
    06-17-2014 08:16 PM
    Thanks for the advice guys. I've got the latest update and just cleared data and cache. I'll see if that helps. I haven't tested stock app as I just always use hangouts. But if it continues after this attempt I'll test out stock and see how that goes. Something tells me that it is hangouts and it's ways of handling text like y'all said.

06-17-2014 08:26 PM
    Well I tried hangouts again and it continued doing it so I just went to the sick messaging app. I'll see how that goes.

06-17-2014 09:21 PM
    Through rigorous testing, I have a binary result. If LTE is on, texting and connections are intermittent. If LTE is off, texting works, I don't miss calls, although my calls are sometimes a bit distorted. I am going to remain on WCDMA Only mode until someone proves this incorrect or finds a fix.
    06-20-2014 07:19 AM
    Mine is on global by default. If I recall that is Verizon recommended.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    06-20-2014 07:25 AM
    Another victim of this issue as well.

After digging around and playing with just about every setting, I have found that uninstalling any downloaded launchers seems to have fixed this issue. I am just running with the stock HTC launcher until a fix comes from HTC.

Not an ideal quick fix, having switched from an iphone 2 weeks ago and looking forward to customizing the bejeebus out of my m8, but it'll do for now. (Yes, I did follow all imessage protocol when switching.)
    06-20-2014 09:20 AM
    I called Verizon again Friday night and got a tier 2 tech who was very good., She reset my sim card and it looks like it fixed it. mine had expired. I didn't know they had an expiration date. Might be worth powering it off and and pulling it out every so often and update the prl.
    06-23-2014 06:23 AM
    Through rigorous testing, I have a binary result. If LTE is on, texting and connections are intermittent. If LTE is off, texting works, I don't miss calls, although my calls are sometimes a bit distorted. I am going to remain on WCDMA Only mode until someone proves this incorrect or finds a fix.
    Yeah, this has been my experience as well. I'll have 4G on for surfing and my texts will fail to upload or send multiple. I turn it off and things work well. It's not just texts either . Any data up on 4G often has issues. Down is usually fine though. I just stay on 3G most times now.
    06-25-2014 06:50 PM
    I was just about to make a new thread until I saw this one. I've been having the same problem on my Verizon m8 lately. The first day it happened, a week ago, I was in a major city watching a baseball game, so I just assumed the amount of people there was the problem. Since then it's happened twice, both times I'm in a normal area with no high amount of people. Today it was taking 15 minutes for texts to send out. Receiving messages seems to be normal. I'm using the stock messaging app (not verizon messages). Both times I was around at least 5 other people with Verizon phones and none of them had any issues.

I just got off the phone with Verizon and he couldn't find any issues with the network in my area. He was stumped until he said he saw a memo from HTC that was just sent a few days ago. Apparently HTC is aware of the issue, and while they don't have a permanent fix yet, he said to put the phone in airplane mode, and then turn it off, and that should help for a while. Apparently just rebooting the phone doesn't do the same thing as the airplane mode trick.
    06-25-2014 07:35 PM
    I was just about to make a new thread until I saw this one. I've been having the same problem on my Verizon m8 lately. The first day it happened, a week ago, I was in a major city watching a baseball game, so I just assumed the amount of people there was the problem. Since then it's happened twice, both times I'm in a normal area with no high amount of people. Today it was taking 15 minutes for texts to send out. Receiving messages seems to be normal. I'm using the stock messaging app (not verizon messages). Both times I was around at least 5 other people with Verizon phones and none of them had any issues.

I just got off the phone with Verizon and he couldn't find any issues with the network in my area. He was stumped until he said he saw a memo from HTC that was just sent a few days ago. Apparently HTC is aware of the issue, and while they don't have a permanent fix yet, he said to put the phone in airplane mode, and then turn it off, and that should help for a while. Apparently just rebooting the phone doesn't do the same thing as the airplane mode trick.
    Where did you see the memo from HTC? I thought Verizon fixed mine but apparently not. I still have empty texts going out and I am not sure all my texts sent are received, I have one person in particular that I am having trouble with.
    06-27-2014 07:29 AM
    No problems on VZW here. I even tried Handcent, Go SMS Pro, all good but MMS is a mess with those so I now use VZ Message plus that came with the phone. Its better than the stock HTC messaging app now that they updated it. You can change the text tones per conversation, colors, etc. Works great.

Did you try turning off the stock app?

06-27-2014 12:38 PM
    I am still having issues after I went to a V store. My phone was somehow in global mode found under the mobile data setting -> preferred network. It was switched to lte/cdma and it started working a lot better, but I am still getting stalled and failed texts.

When I fist got the phone back in march I had no issues and it seems to have slowly gotten worse since they released an update back in april or may.
    06-27-2014 04:27 PM
    Where did you see the memo from HTC? I thought Verizon fixed mine but apparently not. I still have empty texts going out and I am not sure all my texts sent are received, I have one person in particular that I am having trouble with.
    The rep I was talking to said he saw it in his system.
    06-28-2014 10:09 AM
    I say if you are having this issue get your phone warrantied. If we hit HTC in their pocket book they might actually get this fixed faster.
    06-29-2014 12:50 PM
    I had the same issues with Verizon. Couldnt get it to stop so i got them to take a trade in and cancel my agreement and went to ATT, havent had the problem again.
    06-29-2014 10:31 PM
    I am having issues with txt not sending or delayed sending. I receive txt ok but have repeated issues with sending. One out of every 5 to 10 will completely fail to send no matter where I am. Verizon can not figure it out. Is anyone else having any issues with txt.
    You may have text messaging issues if your device is:
    Unable to send or receive text messages
    Displaying error codes or network messages when you try to send a text message
    These steps help identify and resolve the underlying cause. After completing each step, test to see if the issue is fixed. If not, continue to the next step.

Verify your HTC One M8 is connected to the Sprint network using Sprint Zone.

Be sure your HTC One M8 is connected to the Sprint voice network to send or receive text messages.

Access Sprint Zone.
    Tap My Device.
    Tap Dashboard.
    Scroll to and tap Voice Network.
    Your voice connection status displays.
    Tap Network PRL.
    After the PRL update is complete, tap OK.
    Test your device to see if the issue is resolved.
    Perform a soft reset.

A soft reset reconnects your HTC One M8 to the Sprint network.

Press and hold the Power key and Volume Up key for 10 seconds.
    Your HTC One M8 restarts.
    Have you ever been able to send or receive a text message on your HTC One M8?

If your HTC One M8 is active and you've never been able to text, contact Sprint Customer Care for further troubleshooting.
    06-30-2014 01:50 AM
    The rep I was talking to said he saw it in his system.
    Thanks, my issue is very intermittent and seems to be with one user. I am with Verizon. I am not sure if there is an issue or not.
    06-30-2014 07:28 AM
    I've been having this issue for close to 2 months now. It's completely random. I used to think it was my phone. I have been talking to people with different phones and they are having the problem as well. I just talked to someone today with an LG G2, they started having issues the same time I did. I know believe this to be a Verizon network issue.
    07-01-2014 11:19 AM
    I've been having this issue for close to 2 months now. It's completely random. I used to think it was my phone. I have been talking to people with different phones and they are having the problem as well. I just talked to someone today with an LG G2, they started having issues the same time I did. I know believe this to be a Verizon network issue.
    I wonder if this is related to Verizon's upgraded network. I remember them upgrading in certain cities and this may be a side effect. Just a thought.
    07-01-2014 02:36 PM
128 12345 ...