HTC One (M8): Texting Issues

aramos87

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
But have you had issues with MMS messages? I have found SMS works fine but the second I add a picture or make it a group text - it converts to MMS and is unreliable. The messages will not always send and take multiple attempts.

The other problem is you might not know if you aren't receiving them because .... well... you wouldn't be receiving them. I only figured it out when I was in a group chat and saw one of the other guys phones also in that group chat. I then realized I was missing a whole bunch of messages coming my way.

I had those issues, not receiving messages, before on my M7. All I had to do was get a new SIM card, which are free from an At&t store. Once I put in a new SIM, I had zero issues.

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I had those issues, not receiving messages, before on my M7. All I had to do was get a new SIM card, which are free from an At&t store. Once I put in a new SIM, I had zero issues.

I'm already on my 2nd HTC M8 and my 2nd sim card... problem isn't as bad on the 2nd phone but still there. (I'm Verizon btw)

aramos87

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm already on my 2nd HTC M8 and my 2nd sim card... problem isn't as bad on the 2nd phone but still there. (I'm Verizon btw)

I'm pretty sure Verizon only uses their SIM cards for LTE, where as At&t use it for voice, sms/mms, and data. My issue was while using AT&T, which is probably getting a new SIM fixed it.

youeatlard

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I am having issues with txt not sending or delayed sending. I receive txt ok but have repeated issues with sending. One out of every 5 to 10 will completely fail to send no matter where I am. Verizon can not figure it out. Is anyone else having any issues with txt.

As far as I can tell it's an HTC specific software issue. It only seems to happen to me when multiple networks are present. My guess is that for me it's probably the Sprint Connection Optimizer. I can only guess that Verison has something doing the same under a different name. (Probably the same HTC program rebranded by the carriers.). Whatever it or it's gateway's issue is, I get delayed or double text messages sent often with my M8 and MMS pictures fail about 50% of the time.

I believe it has to do with the way the phone handles data when the screen is off, but I'm not sure.

I'll try deleting the optimizer program and update later.

4cdndctn

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
As far as I can tell it's an HTC specific software issue. It only seems to happen to me when multiple networks are present. My guess is that for me it's probably the Sprint Connection Optimizer. I can only guess that Verison has something doing the same under a different name. (Probably the same HTC program rebranded by the carriers.). Whatever it or it's gateway's issue is, I get delayed or double text messages sent often with my M8 and MMS pictures fail about 50% of the time.

I believe it has to do with the way the phone handles data when the screen is off, but I'm not sure.

I'll try deleting the optimizer program and update later.

I too noticed the majority of my issues occur when I send a quick text then the screen is turned off, usually by my dot matrix case closing. ATT claims they are not having these issues with other HTC One's, meanwhile I'm on my 3rd (3rd SIM too), and I've had issues with all 3. My account has been re-provisioned multiple times so I'd like to think it's not an account setup issue which has occurred multiple times.

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I have had a texting issue with Verizon and my M8 also. It is sporadic. I have sent messages and it is reported it is empty when received and at times I send a text and was told it was never received. I use the Verizon messaging app but it has also happened with Textra and the stock messaging app.

I spoke with Verizon and we tested all seemed fine. Weird!!

Dizfunctions

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I've had texting issues with my LG G2, but it resolved itself somehow and I have no idea how it happened...

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

youeatlard

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I have had a texting issue with Verizon and my M8 also. It is sporadic. I have sent messages and it is reported it is empty when received and at times I send a text and was told it was never received. I use the Verizon messaging app but it has also happened with Textra and the stock messaging app.

I spoke with Verizon and we tested all seemed fine. Weird!!

Has it happened on 3G and 4G or only on 4G? Has it happened only while connected to a WiFi network? Happen more with the screen off?

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
One thing I've noticed with HTC phones in regards to text is this: when I send a text and I immediately lock the phone, it will not send. It's almost as if the data cuts off for a split second when you lock the phone. This used to happen on my old HTC one x. I totally forgot about the problem until I started texting on this and noticed I'd pull my phone out and saw that my text failed to send. I had the moto x prior to the m8 and never had this sort of problem. But with HTC phones they always fail to send when I lock my phone as it is sending the text. Now I just send it and wait a second or so to make sure it sends before I lock it.

Posted via Android Central App

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Has it happened on 3G and 4G or only on 4G? Has it happened only while connected to a WiFi network? Happen more with the screen off?

Hi has happened on 4G and at home a network extender which runs 3G and also on WiFi. I haven't payed attention as far as screen off. I suspect it may be an issue with the Verizon messaging app. I found out last night my messages were delayed to someone. I disabled the VZ messaging app and will run with the stock one. I do make sure that it says sent and the screen is on. I may change the timeout in the display higher too.

DobeWeim

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Another HTC One M8 victim here. This has been happening since I got the phone the beginning of April. SMS messages either fail to send or take several minutes to send. Sometimes the phone even sends them more than once, or I receive them more than once. Sometimes I don't get a message at all.

- This happens on WiFi, 3G, and 4G
- It happens with other people who have both iPhone and Android cell phones.
- It happens regardless of the other person's carrier (I'm on Verizon).
- Verizon support has attempted 4 separate times to fix the problem, even having my try different SMS apps to see if they work better.
- I used to have an iPhone and the first thing they did was have Apple remove me from their iMessage system.
- A month ago if I rebooted the phone, it would behave normally for a week or so. Now when I reboot the phone it doesn't fix anything.
- Screen on/off doesn't - doesn't matter.

I'm very close to telling Verizon to trade me out to an iPhone. This is beyond pathetic.

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Update. I've been having an issue. It will tell me it fails to send often. However, the person will still get my text because they respond to it. I've noticed if I retry sending it the other person gets it twice. Not sure why it says failed to send. I've noticed it happens more often when I'm on WiFi. Almost as if it's deciding to send it over WiFi or the network and it's timing out or something. For people getting the message that it failed to send, give it a minute and see if the person your texting actually responds to that text. I'm willing to bet they do.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Hangouts.

What build number of Hangouts? I can tell you that Hangouts was the sole creator of the problem for me since it was introduced at Google IO last year. I literally did not get the issue fixed until the update a few weeks ago to the Hangouts app.

I highly recommend you do the following: Update to the latest version of Hangouts, which you can see the build number I am using in the screenshot. Clear the cache and data for the Hangouts App.

This should resolve your problem. This is not an issue with your M8.

I am also on Verizon. I always have WiFi on and I can send all messages and pics without them failing. This only became possible on Hangouts without failure when there was an update a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• 17400.jpg
    17400.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 50

aramos87

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Hangouts.

I have had these issues with the hangouts using sms since the day they started supporting sms, that was when I had my M7, and this issue is the same with my m8, which is why I only use the stock messaging app, and I have no issues. It is actually a hangouts issue, not the phone. Or maybe it is the way hangouts runs on the phone, if you try the stock messages app (which I noticed johnmcc0710 mentioned also) I would be willing to bet your issues will be solved.

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys. I've got the latest update and just cleared data and cache. I'll see if that helps. I haven't tested stock app as I just always use hangouts. But if it continues after this attempt I'll test out stock and see how that goes. Something tells me that it is hangouts and it's ways of handling text like y'all said.

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Well I tried hangouts again and it continued doing it so I just went to the sick messaging app. I'll see how that goes.

4cdndctn

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Through rigorous testing, I have a binary result. If LTE is on, texting and connections are intermittent. If LTE is off, texting works, I don't miss calls, although my calls are sometimes a bit distorted. I am going to remain on WCDMA Only mode until someone proves this incorrect or finds a fix.