12-02-2014 10:07 PM
66 123
tools
    Just played with one at an AT&T store a few minutes ago and the button was pretty sturdy. Optimistic that mine from Tmobile will be like that tomorrow morning!

Posted via Android Central App
    04-10-2014 09:55 PM
    Why did I open this thread/video? LOL

I guess this will be the first thing I check tomorrow.
    04-10-2014 10:05 PM
    i received my second phone yesterday.
    This time a silver one...and this one is just perfect.
    I had a very loose and rattling volume button this one is just right. So, no scratches or anything on this phone, even all the speaker grill holes are punched through.
    So there are some phones out there with no issues at all : )
    04-11-2014 01:17 AM
    I can tell you guys, that your volume buttons are fine. They might have a bit of wiggle room for easier adjustment, and it IS plastic. However, they are firmly seated. Unless your buttons stops working, I would keep what you have, or buy them in store at the start. Remember that HTC is trying to sell new phones. For some who buy them new, and then return them one after the other, is nonsense. All because a piece of plastic, not broken, moves slighty more than what you were expecting. Remember, that piece is just a rocker, and the actual hardware is underneath.
    Lastly, with aluminum material for build, this "phenomenon" is also seen on the Apple products. For example, my iPad Air has a looser power button than the M8 volume. The volume keys are also loose, but firmer then the M8 volume. Lol, I just grabbed a Samsung Note III, and... Yup, it moves too. Well then, there you go.
    04-11-2014 02:33 AM
    What gets me is HTC want to supply a premium device, like the iPhone, mine has just gone back, the glass wasn't flush with the speaker grills, quite sharp edges. My carrier sent me a silver one by mistake, the volume button is really loose, this all seem like last year gaps in the injection moulding, quality issues, you think with the financial problems they are facing they would try too get things right if they want to compete with the likes of Apple, mines going back for the right colour gunmetal grey, see what this one's like.
    aimfire72 and wafcarl like this.
    04-12-2014 08:00 AM
    I would be returning the phone, I watched the video and that is a significant defect. Mine is nothing like that - in fact it really doesn't move much at all.

Wishing you good luck, it is important we are happy with our phones - we invest a lot into them

I got my M8 yesterday and discovered the volume button was very loose. I brought it back the shops, we checked the display model which was also loose. They gave me a new one which was less loose but I don't think I am happy. You can actually hear it rattle!

Does anyone else have this issue? I have seen some others on XDA have it.

Here's a video on youtube showing the issue:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=rr-cDDgSwpo
    04-12-2014 09:02 AM
    I noticed my volume rocker rattled right out of the box. It's not a bad as that video, but it does rattle. And no - this is NOT fine. HTC didn't intend for this. However, if it doesn't bother you, then keep the phone. I'm on my 2nd one right now (the first one had speaker grill bulging off and gaps). Went through hell to get a replacement from T-Mobile. I plan to use the phone in a case anyways, if that stops the rattle, then I'll probably just keep it...
    aandrew610, Joseph44 and clborden like this.
    04-17-2014 01:02 AM
    FWIW, mine are all solid and the two I tested in the stores were perfect as well.
    04-17-2014 01:05 AM
    Mine does slightly rock side to side but other than that the volume rocker is rock solid, a definite improvement over the original One volume rocker

04-17-2014 01:29 AM
    Mine is loose and rattles, but it works just fine and doesn't interfere with the use of the phone at all. If it stops working, or starts interfering with things I'll bring get it fixed/replaced. It's not really an issue now since I don't shake my phone.

I definitely see why this would bother people though.
    04-17-2014 09:45 AM
    I guess I got lucky. My gunmetal M8's screen is flush with the speakers, and the volume rocker is secure and doesn't rattle.
    04-17-2014 09:52 AM
    Mine rocks att said they would doa it out and get me a replacement but what if the new one is worse?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    04-17-2014 09:53 AM
    No problems with my M8, volume button is fine
    04-17-2014 09:56 AM
    Everyone with rattles...are you sure it's not the power button? My volume key doesn't rattle, but my power button does...gunmetal grey, by the way...
    04-17-2014 01:33 PM
    my rattle is 100% the volume

o2 just got stock of the gold colour, so I've requested one final exchange..if it's the same I will keep the grey and move on from this issue

had a few greys all the same after a days use so no point swapping yet again

will find out early next week when it arrives
    aandrew610 likes this.
    04-17-2014 04:50 PM
    I went to the att store to swap mine out all the m8 that they were going to replace it with all had really bad machining marks on the bezels of the phone I decided to keep the one I had for now I still have 7 more days to decide I'm hoping they get a new shipment in between now and then. The machine marks were bad on the replacements they offered it would have bothered me more then a wiggly volume rocker

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    04-17-2014 08:17 PM
    Am I the only one around here that has a nearly perfect M8? My power button and volume rocker only have the slightest bit of play, almost imperceptible.
    I would expect there to be some QC inconsistencies with the first batch or two of a device like this. The price of being an early adopter I guess.
    Those with less than acceptable M8's should certainly return them until you get one that you are satisfied with. That way HTC will get a clear message on the things they need to improve on for subsequent production runs.
    04-17-2014 09:11 PM
    Nope, mine is just fine. So is the rest of my phone.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    04-17-2014 10:16 PM
    I have no rattles, both power and volume buttons are fine.

04-17-2014 10:37 PM
    Man you are all lucky. I've seen about 15 total between demo units, the two I owned, and the ones we opened in store... and all but one had terribly loose volume buttons (unfortunately it was a demo unit).

aandrew610, Joseph44 and wafcarl like this.
    04-17-2014 10:39 PM
    I am totally happy with the build quality of my M8. Buttons are fine, screen is pretty much flush, notification light works, good battery life, happy with the camera, smooth OS. And so much more.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    04-17-2014 10:45 PM
    Just to add my name to the list, I have a Gunmetal M8 with rattling Volume and Power Buttons. It aggravates the hell out of me and is going back, for replacement, if the next is the same, I'm done and will wait for my Z2 order.
    04-20-2014 06:08 PM
    Is this issue mostly affecting the carrier versions or are the unlocked versions from HTC.com affected as well?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    04-22-2014 02:10 AM
    Is this issue mostly affecting the carrier versions or are the unlocked versions from HTC.com affected as well?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    I have an unlocked version purchased directly through Htc, no issues with volume button. I don't know if it's really a carrier version issue or just production runs that may be affected.
    04-22-2014 07:21 AM
    I have a Dev Ed and my first one had an issue with the plate at the top right side of the screen, but the volume rocker was fine. Now I'm on my second and the volume rocker is very loose. So it's not just the carrier versions.

I do think that if we are spending over $700 on a device, and looking for attention to detail, it isn't asking too much. With major competition like the GS5, I would think that the company would want to know if there were any production issues, big or small, that could sway the average consumer. Honestly, the minute I took it out of the box, it was the first thing I noticed. And I had no idea that this was as common as it is. I know that complaints can get outrageous with people looking for anything to complain about, but this rocker arm issue I think is legitimate. And I know AshtonVibe says his iPad Air has an issue with a loose power button, but I I'd bet Apple would swap it out immediately...if he wanted.

(Just my $0.02)
    04-22-2014 08:54 AM
66 123