HTC One (M8): Is your volume button loose?

Joseph44

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I got my M8 yesterday and discovered the volume button was very loose. I brought it back the shops, we checked the display model which was also loose. They gave me a new one which was less loose but I don't think I am happy. You can actually hear it rattle!

Does anyone else have this issue? I have seen some others on XDA have it.

Here's a video on youtube showing the issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rr-cDDgSwpo

Last edited by a moderator:

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine will rattle but only a tiny bit, very quietly, and I have to shake the phone in a very specific way that I can't replicate 9/10 times. Holding it up, I can barely wiggle it from side to side, but not up and down. It still feels really solid.

Joseph44

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I do not think this is by design as I contacted HTC directly and had the issue escalated to HQ level.

They told me it should absolutely not be making a rattling noise or be loose. That it should be a firm button that juts out slightly from the side of the phone to allow you find it more easily.

I don't know about anyone else but the looseness drives me mad.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
mine is a tiny bit loose if i move it with my finger but i can't shake the phone and hear anything. The biggest thing i notice is that the top of the button juts out more than the bottom. Not a big deal to me and i don't want to send in my phone just to get that fixed so i think i'm just going to deal with it.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I do not think this is by design as I contacted HTC directly and had the issue escalated to HQ level.

They told me it should absolutely not be making a rattling noise or be loose. That it should be a firm button that juts out slightly from the side of the phone to allow you find it more easily.

I don't know about anyone else but the looseness drives me mad.

So I should contact HTC too? Dang it. I'd rather not. LOL. I didn't even notice it until you brought it up. Think I'll just live with it. :p

Tom Gjonaj

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
ive been through a few M8's because of this and one thing I found out, the glacier silvers all have this issue. The gunmetal M8's do not. Very strange. I tested about 4 silvers and 3 gunmetals. I settled with a little loose, because they all do this. You have a one year warranty from your carrier so no big deal.

Joseph44

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
ive been through a few M8's because of this and one thing I found out, the glacier silvers all have this issue. The gunmetal M8's do not. Very strange. I tested about 4 silvers and 3 gunmetals. I settled with a little loose, because they all do this. You have a one year warranty from your carrier so no big deal.

I haven't gone near any silvers but all the ones I've been through have been grey / gunmetal.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Mine does not move or rattle at all. My volume button is very firm and can't even be wiggled. Mine works great, so it sounds like yours is defective.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
This sounds like a very widespread issue or design flaw. This forum represents a tiny percent of the actual user base, so the fact that so many owners are reporting the same thing is a little worrisome.

I still think I'm gonna give it a try this Friday on T-Mobile. Hopefully this delay by T-Mobile will be a blessing in disguise and give us a batch that has more solid feeling buttons. If not... I'll try and suck it up and live with it.

Posted via Android Central App

djenkins7

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I have had 3 m8s with this issue now!

all gunmetal grey, one I have now its very very loose, worst I have had

getting a 4th in the next couple of days, wont give up until I get a perfect one

robbski300

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Got my gold one in the mail this afternoon from Best Buy. Haven't even used it yet (thanks to Grad School), but just looked at the volume button. Yup. REAL loose. Damn.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01