Thinking of Upgrading to HTC One (M8). Is the camera THAT bad?

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have been using silver htc one (m8) for almost 9 months. In the beginning , the camera was really great , loved the phone. But after a while there will be a purple hue for all pic taking under low light . Really irritating . Read from some forum that it is the camera lens problem and it is quite common for most htc owner. My friend own a black htc one. Perfectly good . It's really depend on the luck of a person . Like me , now I have to back up all my stuffs , photo and everything just to get my phone repair . And I feel that it is really troublesome as htc one don't have an external memory card. If u really wan to know what purple hue I referring when I taking photo in low light using htc . You can google it. It's a very common problem for htc one phone .

You're talking about the M7. The M8 doesn't have the purple tint issue. And it also, hasnt been out for 9 months.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I have been using silver htc one (m8) for almost 9 months. In the beginning , the camera was really great , loved the phone. But after a while there will be a purple hue for all pic taking under low light . Really irritating . Read from some forum that it is the camera lens problem and it is quite common for most htc owner. My friend own a black htc one. Perfectly good . It's really depend on the luck of a person . Like me , now I have to back up all my stuffs , photo and everything just to get my phone repair . And I feel that it is really troublesome as htc one don't have an external memory card. If u really wan to know what purple hue I referring when I taking photo in low light using htc . You can google it. It's a very common problem for htc one phone .

You're in the wrong forum..Lol!

Posted via Android Central App

Steve G3

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
You can clearly see that it's a different time of day, the pile of papers in the corner are gone.

The M8 takes extremely vibrant shots, the colours aren't washed out like that, not unless you had your finger too close to the lens creating the cloudiness you are showing.

BockBock

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
As a photographer I find the camera perfect for what I use it for which is social media sharing with friends/family. Really it's all about expectations and examining your normal photo use patterns which usually puts you into one of two categories:

1. Social Media Camera: Do you find you only shoot images and share them on Instagram/Facebook/Twitter? The M8 is more than enough camera for these purposes. I have other gear I use for photos I know I'l want to print at anything larger than 4x6 (if ever) outside of my professional work.
  2. Primary Camera: Do you only use the phone as a primary camera for making prints/photo albums/books? Then the M8 is probably not your best choice. Get something like an S5, G3 or the new Moto X when it lands. It won't take amazingly sharper images but you will be able to make prints larger than 4x6 without starting to lose clarity. Also as a side note no phone will be as good as the cheapest point-and-shoot cameras from Canon, Sony or Panasonic so it's always best to have a real camera for events you know you want to print keepers.

Hope this helps.

sumkindofnobody

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
YES its THAT bad. I'm furious. I was duped into this horrific excuse for a phone by VERIZON! I dropped my wonderful old phone (a Rezound) and Verizon said they couldnt replace it that I HAD to get this piece of crap HTC One but they said it was the best and I actually paid 100 extra for this as a replacement/upgrade. NINE out of TEN pics and vidoes are blurred. It RARELY is ABLE to focus irregardless of the light source. Sometimes it will take a really great pic IF the environment is 100% (I mean a HUNDRED%) optimal. I have NEVER been able to take ONE DAMNED PICTURE inside. Not one. NOT ONE. I hate this camera and today, after TWO MONTHS of trying) I am going into that store to talk to their ***** manager and if I dont get a new rezound back I'm suing their asses. PATHETIC phone. STAY AWAY unless all you want to do is text.

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
YES its THAT bad. I'm furious. I was duped into this horrific excuse for a phone by VERIZON! I dropped my wonderful old phone (a Rezound) and Verizon said they couldnt replace it that I HAD to get this piece of crap HTC One but they said it was the best and I actually paid 100 extra for this as a replacement/upgrade. NINE out of TEN pics and vidoes are blurred. It RARELY is ABLE to focus irregardless of the light source. Sometimes it will take a really great pic IF the environment is 100% (I mean a HUNDRED%) optimal. I have NEVER been able to take ONE DAMNED PICTURE inside. Not one. NOT ONE. I hate this camera and today, after TWO MONTHS of trying) I am going into that store to talk to their ***** manager and if I dont get a new rezound back I'm suing their asses. PATHETIC phone. STAY AWAY unless all you want to do is text.

You may just have a defective device. The M8 DOES take nice pictures, but it does have a learning curve. If youre pictures are coming out consistently blurred you have a bad device.It shouldnt take blurry pictures. You may also be out of luck trying to get a brand new Rezound. That device came out 3 years ago and is probably EOL. I'd take the M8 back and ask for a replacement. The device is really great once you learn to use it. I'm not saying you didnt try. But it seems a lot of your frustration is because of a defective one, because most M8s dont take blurry pictures. But you probably will not get a brand new Rezound. A refurb maybe if you're lucky if they still even have them. Its a 3yr old device. Let us know how it goes for you. Sorry you're so disappointed with your M8 though. Sometimes defective devices slip through and sounds as if you may have received one. Try to get it replaced. A good one shouldnt ever take blurry pictures.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Really? Don't hold back and tell us how you really feel! :) Sorry you've had such a horrible experience with this phone. Consider the fact that you might have a defective unit and they should at least give you a replacement. Most of us love this device and it capabilities, including the camera. I take great pictures inside and out, with minimal effort and understanding. We also know the one drawback to this camera is not being able to zoom. The phones other capabilities and speed as well as superior build make it one of the best smartphones available today. The difference between the Rezound and the M8 is about the same difference between a Chevy and a Corvette. Saying the 'Vette is pathetic because you got a lemon is a little over the top. Saying Verizon is pathetic, for not taking care of the problem, and making their customer happy, is way more appropriate.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I found the iPhone 5 camera terrible at taking low-light pictures (indoors). The M8 is just great! Don't know why those reviewers have to find something wrong with any phone that is not Apple or Samsung.

I agree, I think the phone takes excellent in-door pictures with low lighting. The picture below was of part of my lunch today, and I think it has good color representation, good contrast, good brightness, and good focus. The picture was with all the defaults without me touching the screen to focus on any particular thing in the image.

IMAG0141.jpg

Other people have posted pictures of flowers, buildings, and other things with their m8 cameras all of which look good to me. Some of the people who have blurry pictures probably aren't holding the phone as steady as they think they are. Its like when people use golf laser range finders for the first time, and try to zap a flag stick if they don't hold it steady they're not going to get a good result.

Charles Hinkle

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
IMAG0037.jpgHTC ONE M8 takes very good pictures. Like any camera you have to know how to use it to get the best and play to it's strengths. Overall it's a very too. It does very good in low light too. Please see attached. Hope the pic went through....
IMAG0134.jpg