HTC One (M8): WIFI connection issues?

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
It's not my router either
What about your modem? Do you have the two combined? Is your modem old? (Having a DOCSIS 3.0 modem can make a huge difference when it comes to staying connected to the Internet). Older modems can drop connections without you even knowing it. Your router may make everything look fine on its end, but if your modem is dropping the connection your router may not even know it. As far as your home connection goes: What type of service do you have for your wifi, what model router and modem are you using, how far are you away from your router when using your phone for wifi, if you run a speed test on some where like speedguide.net, speedtest,net, or Speed Test | Time Warner Cable (if you're on TWC) what does it say. (Test it using both your phone and a computer).

Since not everyone with an m8 on Verizon is having the problem (myself being one person who has an m8 on Verizon, and has no problem) I don't think you can blame it on HTC.
Post your wifi and mobile data settings, those of us without the problem can tell you where our settings differ, and then maybe you can alter your settings to get it working.

Lok52

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Spent the next to the last week here at home on WiFi the entire time, no problems. Gone for a week when the only thing I did to my phone was get the 4.4.4 update from Verizon, now it won't connect to my home WiFi. It just keeps cycling through "Connecting..." and "Saved,secured with WPA"

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Spent the next to the last week here at home on WiFi the entire time, no problems. Gone for a week when the only thing I did to my phone was get the 4.4.4 update from Verizon, now it won't connect to my home WiFi. It just keeps cycling through "Connecting..." and "Saved,secured with WPA"
I've heard of some people having that issue fixed it by:
Telling the phone to forget the network
Unplug the router for a few minutes. (If you have a separate modem you might as well unplug that at the same time).
Plug the router back in after a few minutes unplugged (and the modem if you unplugged that too)
Have your phone create a fresh connection to that network

If that doesn't work a system clear cache might do something for you. (If you haven't already tried that).

Lok52

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I've heard of some people having that issue fixed it by:
Telling the phone to forget the network
Unplug the router for a few minutes. (If you have a separate modem you might as well unplug that at the same time).
Plug the router back in after a few minutes unplugged (and the modem if you unplugged that too)
Have your phone create a fresh connection to that network

If that doesn't work a system clear cache might do something for you. (If you haven't already tried that).

I tried clearing the system cache already, no good. I will try unplugging stuff when I get gone this weekend.

Posted via Android Central App

turner75

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
ATT M8 4.4.2. changed my passcode to less than 9 characters like thesuperjmart said. Stays connected now.

Last edited:

cushy1863

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Had a similar problem on home network with HTC one m8 and sky hub connection intermittently dropping off, switch off WiFi on phone then back on then it would be ok for a while, so went into sky hub router settings and checked connected devices, HTC showing but Mac address different than showing in phone settings so deleted phone from router connected devices then
manually entered phone Mac address as found in advanced settings in phone WiFi settings, into router
this seems to have fixed problem so far, fingers crossed

Jerouk

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm having this problem over in the UK :)
To qualify:
phone: HTC One m8 running 4.44.
Symptoms: wireless connection dropping (on work and home network). Unable to reconnect without a restart on phone.
Wireless Router: British Telecoms home hub.
What I've done so far: renamed device, tweaked advanced wireless settings, primarily turning off battery saving optimisation on wireless.
I'm not rooting my phone in a hurry as I'm on a good insurance package that will be voided if I do that :p
The MAC address issue sounds promising as it would explain the symptoms somewhat, though why the router would lose/misread the correct address for the phone is beyond me.
I'll look at this if the problem reoccurs and report back either way.
Cheers all,
J

johnny--2k

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I think I have figured out what is going on with this wifi problem.

It seems to be interference with the bluetooth raido and i spent over an hour on the phone with HTC to confirm this.

If you have wifi and BT radios both on, but BT is NOT paired to anything, it seems to be scanning constantly and interfering with the wifi signal, causing it to slow down significantly or drop completely. I was able to duplicate this without fail multiple times using speedtests.

If you do try this, and get similar results, please call HTC support and report it. Since I was the only one that HTC has heard from, they can't do much yet until more people report and they can look further into it.

Rashid Mohamed

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi every one, I've been using HTC M8 for a while. I'am happy with the phone except the WiFi issue I'am facing in my Office.
The WiFi over here is a WPA-Personal with TKIP Encryption with 10 character password.
After saving this connection when I select it,it shows Signal strength: Excellent and security: WPA PSK.
When I try clicking Connect it shows: saved, secured with WPA. After some time it disconnects automatically.
I have tried everything I've seen in the blog .

Every one else in my office is getting the WiFi connection except me. And I'am able to connect my WiFi at home where there is WPA2-Personnal With AES encryption and 10 Character password.

Can any one help please?

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi every one, I've been using HTC M8 for a while. I'am happy with the phone except the WiFi issue I'am facing in my Office.
The WiFi over here is a WPA-Personal with TKIP Encryption with 10 character password.
After saving this connection when I select it,it shows Signal strength: Excellent and security: WPA PSK.
When I try clicking Connect it shows: saved, secured with WPA. After some time it disconnects automatically.
I have tried everything I've seen in the blog .

Every one else in my office is getting the WiFi connection except me. And I'am able to connect my WiFi at home where there is WPA2-Personnal With AES encryption and 10 Character password.

Can any one help please?
Just thought I'd mention it...If your HTC M8 is a Sprint device, I would highly recommend that you completely disable the Sprint Connections Optimizer.

When I first got my M8, that stupid app was what was screwing up my WiFi connectivity.

anhanh

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I having the same problem as you guys too. i tried to do everything you guys mentioned but the wifi still cannot connect to the phone. My phone is AT&T HTC One M8 not Sprint

Last edited:

nawb84

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I having the same problem as you guys too. i tried to do everything you guys mentioned but the wifi still cannot connect to the phone. My phone is AT&T HTC One M8 not Sprint

This is the only issue I have had with the device. My HTC one is unlocked and non branded running : android 4.4.4
The only fix that worked for me was disabling the "do not disturb" feature and setting the following :

Under wifi setting - advanced - keep wifi on during sleep - set to never
Under power saving setting - uncheck data connection
Under power setting - sleep mode set to off

With this configuration my wifi connection still goes to sleep during screen off however I do not get the issue of wifi failing to reconnect after sleep.

Previously the only thing I could do was restart the device. Something in the data connection power settings are surely conflicting which htc should remedy immediately!

Vladimir Sitnik

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
hello everyone, if you recently reassambly your phone in my case is HTC One M7 and after you have a very low signal. You need to switch inside your phone 2 short connectors blue and black (don't intersect position) from mainboard to smallest one on top of the phone. After this procedure i keep my signal again.

Tomatic123

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
I see this is quite an old thread, but still high on searches.
I had this problem too and did a couple of things which seem to have sorted it out (so could be either of them):
1. Freed some space (my phone's internal memory was low).
2. Disabled "Ok Google" command availability from any screen: Launch the Google app => Click the menu bars (top left) => Click Settings and go to "Voice" => "Ok Google detection" => Switch off the "From any screen" option.
Sorted!

bobbyhung1

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much! Disabling "from any screen" did the trick for my T-mobile m8.
I was going crazy trying to figure out why it was at half speed on WiFi. Much appreciated, thanks again.

Troy Richey

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I fixed mine by disabling my Bluetooth radio like Johnny had mentioned. Finally, got mine to work after a month of messing with it and getting a replacement phone! Guess I will just have to toggle my Bluetooth radio.... HTC / all the carriers need to resolve this ASAP! Its quite ridiculous their tech support can't figure it out!

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma