09-27-2014 01:24 PM
49 12
tools
    I tried it. Everything works great except for one issue. It made it so I couldn't record video?! Made me not trust it yet so I'm not using it until that's fixed.
    08-01-2014 07:40 PM
    I have tried it but I don't find it beneficial if you are using sense for most everything. I already can say ok Google from anywhere on my M8 so that's no longer a caveat for the GNL. It's fast but so is Blinkfeed launcher.

Posted via Android Central App
    kct1975 likes this.
    08-01-2014 07:42 PM
    What's the benefit to using Google now?
    08-01-2014 08:57 PM
    Tried it today, but now that the "OK Google" command is available without the launcher, it doesn't really serve a purpose for me
    I use Blinkfeed pretty often and that's more useful to me than a vanilla Android experience
    I think that's what makes Sense such a good skin...it takes the best elements of the vanilla Android experience
    then it just adds HTC's subtle features to make it stronger
    Sense adds on to the vanilla feel, but doesn't overpower the phone like Samsung's TouchWiz
    while the Google Now Launcher just doesn't have enough for me to feel satisfied
    so yeah...the GN Launcher got uninstalled
    kct1975 and puch96 like this.
    08-01-2014 10:15 PM
    I have tried it but I don't find it beneficial if you are using sense for most everything. I already can say ok Google from anywhere on my M8 so that's no longer a caveat for the GNL. It's fast but so is Blinkfeed launcher.

Tried it today, but now that the "OK Google" command is available without the launcher, it doesn't really serve a purpose for me
    I use Blinkfeed pretty often and that's more useful to me than a vanilla Android experience
    I think that's what makes Sense such a good skin...it takes the best elements of the vanilla Android experience
    then it just adds HTC's subtle features to make it stronger
    Sense adds on to the vanilla feel, but doesn't overpower the phone like Samsung's TouchWiz
    while the Google Now Launcher just doesn't have enough for me to feel satisfied
    so yeah...the GN Launcher got uninstalled
    I Completely Agree! I couldn't have said it better myself!
    08-02-2014 09:21 AM
    So explain how you got the "OK GOOGLE" working in HTC Blink Feed launcher, without installing a 3rd party addon to recognize this? I just set mine back to Blink Feed Laucher and at the home page said "Ok Google" and to my surprise...no wait...same results...NOTHING! The only way to get google now to detect you saying "Ok Google" is if you first launch google now, then say the words. If you are on any other page with the blink feed launcher, nothing happens when you say the words. This is why GNL is superb. Besides blink feed hogs background servicing like the obama administration with tax dollars...just kills it!!
    08-04-2014 09:27 AM
    go to the app "Google Settings". Select "Search & Now", then "Voice", then "Ok Google Detection". Select "From any screen."

So explain how you got the "OK GOOGLE" working in HTC Blink Feed launcher, without installing a 3rd party addon to recognize this? I just set mine back to Blink Feed Laucher and at the home page said "Ok Google" and to my surprise...no wait...same results...NOTHING! The only way to get google now to detect you saying "Ok Google" is if you first launch google now, then say the words. If you are on any other page with the blink feed launcher, nothing happens when you say the words. This is why GNL is superb. Besides blink feed hogs background servicing like the obama administration with tax dollars...just kills it!!
    wase4711 and jean15paul like this.
    08-04-2014 09:48 AM
    Oh...I did not know they added those two settings "From any screen" and "From Lock Screen". Works great!! Nice!! Thank you dyphx! That was my #1 reason that I wanted to use the GNL, plug I prefer the rounded button to get to my apps, vs. the square basic one that mimics the epic launcher and touchwiz launcher. The scrolling through the apps with the sense 6 launcher (vertically) is going to be annoying getting used to...spent a few seconds swiping my finger horizontally to get to the next page before realizing they were down, not across. But I hope the blink feed has ample controls to set the frequency of updating itself and connected components (social media sites, etc.) and to bar it from auto-updating while connected to mobile data, but only when connected to Wi-Fi.
    Good looking out! Thank you!!

go to the app "Google Settings". Select "Search & Now", then "Voice", then "Ok Google Detection". Select "From any screen."
    08-04-2014 11:04 AM
    google settings is not downloadable on my M8. I'm running 4.42
    08-04-2014 04:53 PM
    It's not a separate download. If you have 4.4.2, you already have it installed. Just look through your app drawer to locate it "Google+ Settings" is the name.
    google settings is not downloadable on my M8. I'm running 4.42
    08-04-2014 04:57 PM
    I feel like GN is pretty limited. Only 2 available screens for widgets? I am gonna give it a try but my initial reaction is "Meh"...

08-04-2014 07:08 PM
    Try dragging an icon to the right, off the screen. Does it create a new screen?

I feel like GN is pretty limited. Only 2 available screens for widgets? I am gonna give it a try but my initial reaction is "Meh"...

08-04-2014 09:27 PM
    Yes, I have over 6 screens on my GNL side, and 5 on my BFL (blink feed). Just drag something to the right, or fill up your current page, enable the option to auto-add the app to the homes creen and download an app, it will automatically create the new necessary screen.
    Try dragging an icon to the right, off the screen. Does it create a new screen?
    08-05-2014 07:57 AM
    I'm currently using gnl after figuring out how to get more home screens and must say I'm really liking it so far the OK google on any screen is fairly useful and quite fun to have (I cant get it on any screen on blinkfeed without having language set to English US) and kinda solves my problem I had before I bought the phone as I was considering the nexus 5 but the memory was a big issue plus I loved the design of the m8 so now I have the best of both worlds ...may change it back as sense is still the best manufacturer OS I've used easily but am liking the vanilla android feel of it

08-11-2014 05:32 AM
    The only reason I'd want GNL is to be able to launch "Ok Google" from any screen, but now that you guys have shown me how to do that in my Google Now settings, I'm just loving this Android experience. That is so cool to be able to launch from any screen or application for that matter! Wonderful! Thank you Android Forum Family! !
    kct1975 likes this.
    08-11-2014 08:45 AM
    Just put Google Now launcher on now, as had been missing the UI from the Nexus5 my wife decided was gonna be hers!

Camera issues now fixed, as stated above. Just move it off your homescreen and put it back on again. This will enable the Duo Camera again, which is infinitely preferable to the stock Google camera app. There were a couple issues with the SD card, but was able to format and mount again, and working great now. Fortunately nothing on there I hadn't backed up already.

Its a lot of trouble to go to, but the little things matter. Stupid things that I know shouldn't, liking left to right scrolling in the App drawer!! Who at HTC thought to change that, just for the sake of it? For the love of God, man, why? Yes, I admit I have issues, and should go out more...

What I will say about Sense is that setting up folders on homescreen is far better than stock android. I love using the + button in the folder and just selecting apps from a list to import to folders, rather than doing it manually. If I'm missing an easy way to do it on the Google Now launcher, someone please let me know.
    08-14-2014 09:53 AM
    Haha yeah that's one thing I was missing kept going to swipe right to left but am really enjoying the stock android for now will give it a month or so n will probably have a play with nova or something but am liking gnl right now

08-14-2014 03:38 PM
    I loaded it on my M8, and it seems to create issues with my camera, only allowing basic camera & selfie modes. Anyone else have this problem?
    08-19-2014 03:13 PM
    Just saw the above post - simple fix- Thanks!
    08-19-2014 03:17 PM
    Just put Google Now launcher on now, as had been missing the UI from the Nexus5 my wife decided was gonna be hers!

Camera issues now fixed, as stated above. Just move it off your homescreen and put it back on again. This will enable the Duo Camera again, which is infinitely preferable to the stock Google camera app. There were a couple issues with the SD card, but was able to format and mount again, and working great now. Fortunately nothing on there I hadn't backed up already.

Its a lot of trouble to go to, but the little things matter. Stupid things that I know shouldn't, liking left to right scrolling in the App drawer!! Who at HTC thought to change that, just for the sake of it? For the love of God, man, why? Yes, I admit I have issues, and should go out more...

What I will say about Sense is that setting up folders on homescreen is far better than stock android. I love using the + button in the folder and just selecting apps from a list to import to folders, rather than doing it manually. If I'm missing an easy way to do it on the Google Now launcher, someone please let me know.
    Out if interest, what were your SD issues? NY google play music has been playing up, keeps saying my SD card has been disconnected when it hasn't. Not sure if there's a link but it was fine until I started using the google now launcher. Have tried reformatting the card to see if that helps

08-20-2014 07:00 AM
    Awesome. Thanks!
    08-30-2014 10:10 PM
    Anyone who downloads this and losses the option to video record on their camera just remove the camera from the homescreen and put it back on and the video option will appear again! ☺ 📷
    09-22-2014 12:22 PM
    Been using it now for a couple of weeks. No problems and smooth as silk. HTC's BlinkFeed Launcher was also good, but I didn't really use the Blink Feed app. I use Flipboard for news/social feed reader (usually at night) and I use Google Now cards more often throughout the day.

The one thing I really did like in HTC's launcher was the ability to create folders in the app drawer.

Attachment 114367
    Does anybody know what weather widget that is? That is exactly what I have been looking for.
    09-25-2014 01:34 PM
    Didn't care for it cause the search bar is always up top and with Google everywhere you don't need it.
    09-27-2014 01:24 PM
49 12