Anybody Try the Google Now Launcher on their M8?

ironbesterer

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I have not tried it.

But all you have to do is download it and set it to default once. If it doesn't work out, just uninstall it.

Sent from my Verizon HTC One M8

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well you have to side load it on the sense version. It's only officially available for Nexus and GPE devices via play store.

Posted via Android Central App

kdh0324

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Maybe a dumb question, but where can I side load it from? Wanting to make sure I download it from a reputable site. Thanks for the help and guidance.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
works great... hold or swipe up on home button opens google now.

holla!!

This is the case with the Blinkfeed launcher too.
The Google Now launcher works fine on international devices. I live in Germany and my HTC One M8 doesn't have any issues with the Google Now launcher.

kdh0324

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Worked great. Will I be able to update this or have to download new versions when available from a third party site?

drberezin

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Been using it now for a couple of weeks. No problems and smooth as silk. HTC's BlinkFeed Launcher was also good, but I didn't really use the Blink Feed app. I use Flipboard for news/social feed reader (usually at night) and I use Google Now cards more often throughout the day.

The one thing I really did like in HTC's launcher was the ability to create folders in the app drawer.

Screenshot_2014-04-23-12-43-47.jpg

icenija

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
works great... hold or swipe up on home button opens google now.

holla!!

Help me out here, how is this different? I don't have the Google Launcher on my phone but I can still swipe up from the home button and get Google Now. Just wondering what advantage the Google Launcher gives you.

Ice

MartialText

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I like the larger icons in GL, and I like that Google Now is a swipe to the left. Also like that the folders are round with overlapping icons, rather than the "four in a box" folders in the stock launcher. Also like that the app drawer swipes side-to-side (like stock Android), rather than vertically, as with the HTC launcher. It's all pretty subjective. The nice part is Kit Kat give you the option to switch launchers on-the-fly in the personalize --> home settings, so you can try to see if you like it.

neurotico

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I installed the google launcher on to my HTC One M8 (T-mobile) and have issues with my device remembering it as the default launcher. Anytime I open another app and have used it for more than a few seconds, then tap my Home button, it will prompt me to select from Blink Feed or Google Now Launcher. Even though every single time I check the ALWAYS button to always use google launcher. I have tried setting blink feed back as the default launcher and it does remember that one perfectly every time. I then manually go to setting>Personalize>Home Screen and select Google Now Launcher, then click OK and it loads my home screen with google launcher. Then going back to any other app, it will reproduce my issue or not remembering Google launcher as the default home screen.

Any help on this? I have reinstalled Google launcher and no luck.

Thank you!

skeezix1970

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Sooooo.... I just downloaded google now and am using it.
So what's the deal? Absolutely NO customization, I already had google now with a flick up from my home button.
It's the absolute most generic launcher I've ever used! I'm not trying to sound like a ****, but am I missing something?
I was really looking forward to trying it out, and now I'm just disappointed lol
___
Update
OK, so I guess I do kinda like it lol... Very smooth, and I got used to the 3x3 grid (sarcasm) in no time. I do wish you could make the grid layout at least 6x6 though. I'll use it a little more before switching back to Apex.

Last edited:

neurotico

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Update
OK, so I guess I do kinda like it lol... Very smooth, and I got used to the 3x3 grid (sarcasm) in no time. I do wish you could make the grid layout at least 6x6 though. I'll use it a little more before switching back to Apex.

I have a 4x4 grid by default on my HTC One M8 w/ Google Now Launcher.

One huge perk with the launcher that I use a lot, is the voice activated Google Search from any page. If you are looking at any of your home screen pages, you can say "Ok Google" and it will auto-initiate the speech-to-text google search utility.