Is the HTC One (M8) right for me?

V6Hawk

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, in need of a new phone. I broke my Nexus 4 a couple weeks ago. Digitizer on the bottom third doesn't work anymore. Which really sucks, because this phone has been the best phone I've ever had. I'm here because I have a couple concerns with the M8, the first is how do you guys like Sense? The last time I had Sense was on my Evo 4G and well...It was ok. I personally love the pure android experience but I can always root and ROM away on the M8. I'm not concerned with the camera at all, I have a DSLR. I like the on screen buttons, it's the same as my current phone, and I really love the look of the phone. Does the phone feel tall in your hands? I'm a bigger guy so I have big hands, but I've read even people with big hands have trouble holding it. I'm really torn between this, the Nexus 5, and I maybe MAYBE the Note 3, more so because I love the screen and battery life of it. I personally am not a fan of TouchWiz but to each their own. Opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is the M8 right for me?

It's a beautiful phone and the height difference it's not that big really. Took maybe a day to get used to the size just like any new device that you get. Well worth your money.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

khughes6

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

The height of the phone is not a problem for me, I'm 6foot with average sized hands I'd say! The motion gestures on the phone make it easy to turn on with a nice double tap on the screen.

Easy to turn off cause your putting the phone down anyways so you just push the power button on the way down.

Posted via the One successor to the One

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

OK, so I'll give you a different opinion. No, I wouldn't buy this phone again, and yes, I'm waiting for something better to come along. I'm a very picky user, and spend way too much money on phones. Always have, but I can say I'm not happy with this purchase. The speakers do not appeal to me and had nothing to do with my purchasing decision as I usually just use earbuds. However, they should have. They make the phone way taller than it should be and one handed operation is a very difficult process. I have big hands and no, I can't use it easily one handed. The power button alone is waaaaay to far north to be of use and double tapping does not shut the screen off. They only gave us half the feature of double tapping.

The screen size is a lot smaller than the phone size leads you to believe.

Camera sucks IMO, but most fight me on that. You don't care though, so I'll skip it.

Battery life is fine. No issues other than my other phone is a 3000mAh and does last a little longer.

Processor and speed are good, but they should be.

I really think HTC missed on this one. We'll find out in a few months.

I highly recommend that you go to the store and put this in your hands before making a decision. It's not a phone that you can just order over the Internet as I did. Remember, this is just my 2 cents. Take 'em for what they are worth. Everyone can now begin the Scottysize bash.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
OK, so I'll give you a different opinion. No, I wouldn't buy this phone again, and yes, I'm waiting for something better to come along. I'm a very picky user, and spend way too much money on phones. Always have, but I can say I'm not happy with this purchase. The speakers do not appeal to me and had nothing to do with my purchasing decision as I usually just use earbuds. However, they should have. They make the phone way taller than it should be and one handed operation is a very difficult process. I have big hands and no, I can't use it easily one handed. The power button alone is waaaaay to far north to be of use and double tapping does not shut the screen off. They only gave us half the feature of double tapping.

The screen size is a lot smaller than the phone size leads you to believe.

Camera sucks IMO, but most fight me on that. You don't care though, so I'll skip it.

Battery life is fine. No issues other than my other phone is a 3000mAh and does last a little longer.

Processor and speed are good, but they should be.

I really think HTC missed on this one. We'll find out in a few months.

I highly recommend that you go to the store and put this in your hands before making a decision. It's not a phone that you can just order over the Internet as I did. Remember, this is just my 2 cents. Take 'em for what they are worth. Everyone can now begin the Scottysize bash.

No bash, you are definitely entitled to your own opinion. I will clarify a little though on some things you've said, they might help you out

You can download the app screen off and lock, and then when you hold and swipe up from the home button, like you would to get to Google now, you have the option of using Google or screen off and lock. This allows you to turn the screen off from the home button, you can now easily use gestures to wake the phone and to turn the screen off. Much much easier to use one handed. Definitely recommend it, give it a try

Also while the BoomSound might not appeal to you, the output voltage from the audio jack is in a league of it's own. There is no other phone that comes close to the voltage output, it definitely makes a difference. Does that mean every other phone won't sound good with headphones? No, but there will be a noticeable difference when comparing

To the op, I would suggest going to a retail store and checking it out in person. Personally I don't have any difficulties holding or using the phone. I don't think it's too tall or hard to use, but that's my experience. I definitely don't speak for everyone

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

ChrisGonzales90

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

I got a good 11 hours yesterday of battery life. for me, if it lasts all day then its fine in my book.

Camera is ok. here are some sample shots I took. You be the judge.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24778615@N08/sets/72157643607577674/

htc sense 6 isn't like the sense from years past its closer to android while still being a llittle different. I've personally been a fan of htc sense since the EVO 4G in 2010. Now five phones later I have to say I love the way sense 6 looks and fells.

I also have big hands and the phone fells fine to me

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

No bash, you are definitely entitled to your own opinion. I will clarify a little though on some things you've said, they might help you out

You can download the app screen off and lock, and then when you hold and swipe up from the home button, like you would to get to Google now, you have the option of using Google or screen off and lock. This allows you to turn the screen off from the home button, you can now easily use gestures to wake the phone and to turn the screen off. Much much easier to use one handed. Definitely recommend it, give it a try

Also while the BoomSound might not appeal to you, the output voltage from the audio jack is in a league of it's own. There is no other phone that comes close to the voltage output, it definitely makes a difference. Does that mean every other phone won't sound good with headphones? No, but there will be a noticeable difference when comparing

To the op, I would suggest going to a retail store and checking it out in person. Personally I don't have any difficulties holding or using the phone. I don't think it's too tall our hard to use, but that's my experience. I definitely don't speak for everyone

Posted via Android Central App

I'll try out the app. I got my Incipio case today, and I now like the phone size a bit more. It's still really tall and almost impossible to hit the power button, but at least it's thinner. Still holding out for the G3 ;) Don't get me wrong, I'm not sending it back, I'm just not keeping it for the next 2 years. Like I ever do that with any phone.

V6Hawk

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site

Well I've pretty much decided, i'll be heading up to T-Mobil tomorrow to get one. The guy said he only has 5, but not to worry, he said he'll make sure there's one left! I don't care what color, except for the gold one lol. I'll check back in tomorrow night and let you guys know how I like it!

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
The gold looks like the worst color. Then I went and checked it out at BB and you know what, is not to bad. It's not really gold gold but more of am off gold. Anyway it's much better in person.

The phone in general, I really like it. Feels and looks great. My only real complaint is that bezel

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Sweet app. I put the icon on my desktop. tap it, and immediately the screen is off. Thanks!!!

crazyralph90

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I had the M8 used it for about a week.
Returned it and got the S5 today, couldn't be happier.
Just get Nova Launcher because Touchwiz is awful.

V6Hawk

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Update time: Got the phone a few hours ago, i'm in love. The phone is the perfect size for me, it feel's great in my hand, and is lightning fast. Compared to the nexus 4 the camera is way better. I'll give you guys a 24hr update.

V6Hawk

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
And 24 hour update: Guys, this phone is a piece of art. I love everything about it. And dem speakers, wow. Everything is a huge leave from my Nexus 4. I like what HTC has done with Sense. I still prefer stock android, but there's no complaints. This phone is pretty spot on for me. The camera in my opinion is pretty good. It takes all my pictures how I like them, and I love the control you have over it. The screen is amazing, everything is vibrant, and the colors really pop. I'm in love.

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I had the M8 used it for about a week.
Returned it and got the S5 today, couldn't be happier.
Just get Nova Launcher because Touchwiz is awful.

I did the opposite, had S5 for a day, hated every bit of it, returned and for M8 best decision ever. So what's the moral of the story, it's subjective. S5 doesn't feel like it's running Android, it's like completely different and ugly.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech