AT&T HTC One (M8): Removing Bloatware?

sparker781

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking of switching to the HTC One M8 on Att....I've countless reviews about the bloatware that comes packaged with the device on the carrier versions....Aside from rooting it (Which I don't think you can do just yet) there really is no other way to get rid of it right?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

mcox1124

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: HTC M8 Att

You have to root and/or go the custom ROM route. Good news is root, unlocked bootloader, and s-off are all released. I've done all this and I have the AT&T variant.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

Could you please provide links on the methods used to achieve these items listed?

Thanks

You have to root and/or go the custom ROM route. Good news is root, unlocked bootloader, and s-off are all released. I've done all this and I have the AT&T variant.

mcox1124

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

Guide for unlocking bootloader : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2265618

Recommended ROM (Android Revolution HD - Sense): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2694917

S-off (guide says Verizon variant, but it works on AT&T version): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2697240

Don't do s-off unless you know what you are doing. You don't really NEED it, unless you plan on updating radios/formware/modified hboot.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site

I bought the unlocked version and it has no bloat. You can buy directly from HTC or Amazon.

Posted via Android Central App

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site

I am thinking of switching to the HTC One M8 on Att....I've countless reviews about the bloatware that comes packaged with the device on the carrier versions....Aside from rooting it (Which I don't think you can do just yet) there really is no other way to get rid of it right?

Thanks

Buy a developer edition or unlocked M8 get on the ATT Next plan and save yourself a ton of money that is if you have more than one line. No bloatware on developer or unlocked devices and you don't need to worry about rooting.

sparker781

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

Buy a developer edition or unlocked M8 get on the ATT Next plan and save yourself a ton of money that is if you have more than one line. No bloatware on developer or unlocked devices and you don't need to worry about rooting.

Okay how much are we talking for either one? Preferrably the unlocked version as i am not a developer. i am already on the ATT next plan too

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

I got my m8 yesterday from att there is quite a bit of bloatware however there is still about 25gb of available space

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Okay how much are we talking for either one? Preferrably the unlocked version as i am not a developer. i am already on the ATT next plan too

The unlocked phone is $649.99 and the AT&T 32 gig model is $32 a month for 20 months or $640...a $10 savings.

I have the AT&T One and don't mind the bloat. But AT&T removed a setting regarding the on screen buttons and I'm thinking of returning it as a result... I just can't have that black bar for "all" of my games and apps. Making the screen smaller than my S4.

I just don't know if I want to drop that much money all at once. I shouldn't have to, and at least I'm not on Verizon and have the stock browser and radio disabled.

Posted via Android Central App on my all new One

sparker781

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

"But AT&T removed a setting regarding the on screen buttons and I'm thinking of returning it as a result." What are you reffering to?

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

"But AT&T removed a setting regarding the on screen buttons and I'm thinking of returning it as a result." What are you reffering to?

On the unlocked one there is a setting that allows the on screen buttons to have a black background or clear. It also work like how the AT&T model does in the camera app (just try it in the store). But sadly on the AT&T model it is always with a black background instead of clear like in the camera app and blinkfeed. Nor can they ever go away like in the camera app. They are stuck on, and thus take up screen real estate on everything including all my games.

Can I please have a US carrier that has good to great service and refuses to mess up what HTC worked hard at?

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Just tested Riptide 2, and have the buttons go away. I'm hoping that apps like the AC app gives an update to make this work.

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

Good thing about being on at&t is our development is quick. I easily changed my carrier m8 to a Google play edition. I couldn't stand all the bloat and extra nonsense they force us to have on our phones. I wish manufacturers would take a stand like apple.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

Good thing about being on at&t is our development is quick. I easily changed my carrier m8 to a Google play edition. I couldn't stand all the bloat and extra nonsense they force us to have on our phones. I wish manufacturers would take a stand like apple.

How where you able to achieve this? Please give details. Thanks.:)

sparker781

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

On the unlocked one there is a setting that allows the on screen buttons to have a black background or clear. It also work like how the AT&T model does in the camera app (just try it in the store). But sadly on the AT&T model it is always with a black background instead of clear like in the camera app and blinkfeed. Nor can they ever go away like in the camera app. They are stuck on, and thus take up screen real estate on everything including all my games.

Can I please have a US carrier that has good to great service and refuses to mess up what HTC worked hard at?

with the Google play ROM does this fix that issue?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using The Android Central App

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

with the Google play ROM does this fix that issue?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using The Android Central App

I don't see why not. It will be the full Google experience.

Just to give an idea of what I'm talking about...

uploadfromtaptalk1397234441586.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1397234497867.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1397234523247.jpg

Because of the lack of setting on the AT&T model, the black bar can't go away if I want it to, and I would prefer a clear bar (buttons).

On Riptide 2 it has an update that has the buttons hid for full screen use, that only comes on if you swipe the screen.

uploadfromtaptalk1397234791509.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1397234810787.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge