HTC One (M8): Wireless Charging?

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Wireless Charging?

If you're sleeping, why does it matter if your phone is on a wire or not? I just find wireless charger kind of pointless. It's a cool idea, but not really practical.

Sent from my Verizon HTC One M8

After a year or so the micro USB "jack" in the phone get's loose from plugging and unplugging every night/morning.
Then, sometimes just a s light jiggle on the cord (when it's charging on the nightstand) means charging stops- and you have a 40% battery in the morning.
To me, wireless would be very cool, as long as it doesn't affect other parameters of the device.

nestafaria

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

If you think it's a gimmick you haven't used it. We have 4 wireless chargers in our house, it's a total deal breaker FOR ME.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

After a year or so the micro USB "jack" in the phone get's loose from plugging and unplugging every night/morning.
Then, sometimes just a s light jiggle on the cord (when it's charging on the nightstand) means charging stops- and you have a 40% battery in the morning.
To me, wireless would be very cool, as long as it doesn't affect other parameters of the device.

Wireless charging ONLY effect charging rate (slower) and if you have the Note 3 (idk if the note 2 had wireless charging since the note 3 is my first one in the series) it will prevent you from using the S-pen

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

Meh metal bodies... Scratched up easily and can't replace, isn't light weight and NO wireless charging which is now a must.... Hopefully Samsung and everybody else includes it on the phone or include the back cover :)

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
I have to say that the "scratched easily" comment is not true in my experience with the M8. I didn't use the wireless option on my last phone, ever, so I'm fine without. Would rather have the beauty of metal.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I have to say that the "scratched easily" comment is not true in my experience with the M8. I didn't use the wireless option on my last phone, ever, so I'm fine without. Would rather have the beauty of metal.

"beauty of metal"? Meh to metal ill stick with my Samsung phones since i love wireless charging

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

If you think it's a gimmick you haven't used it. We have 4 wireless chargers in our house, it's a total deal breaker FOR ME.
I have and still think it's a gimmick. The only wireless device I own that is helpful is my toothbrush. I use my phone while it's charging and the wireless option on my last one was a gimmick. If you like it, that's cool. But you can't speak for everyone.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I have and still think it's a gimmick. The only wireless device I own that is helpful is my toothbrush. I use my phone while it's charging and the wireless option on my last one was a gimmick. If you like it, that's cool. But you can't speak for everyone.

Doesn't make it a Gimmick ... If you want to call that a Gimmick you can make a reason naked android is a "gimmick" then ... or anything other countless things

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Just got me thinking about my wireless toothbrush... Then my wireless speakers in the house, wireless Internet for tv's, computers, tablets, outside phones and speakers, car sync system that picks up my phone media and calling wireless capabilities, wireless shaver and I know I have forgot a bunch... But my wife loves the Tylt vu wireless charger for her Maxx. I am an old guy... It will catch on, give it time.
Oh, one more. In the hospital with wireless heart monitors so I can cruise around and watch TV on my Note 2 with my wireless connection to the slingbox attached to my wireless cable receiver in my bedroom.
Gimmick? Don't think so... I am sure I still missed something.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

I just bought a wireless charging receiver on Amazon to enable it. You do have a tiny bit of cabling coming out of the USB port, but if you really want wireless charging, and you have a case on the phone, then you can just get something like that and it'll work.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I just bought a wireless charging receiver on Amazon to enable it. You do have a tiny bit of cabling coming out of the USB port, but if you really want wireless charging, and you have a case on the phone, then you can just get something like that and it'll work.

But that disables regular usb charging... Unless you unplug the cable of course.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

But that disables regular usb charging... Unless you unplug the cable of course.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Yes, and that is actually a very big "but" because it, at least mine, is very difficult to remove because of its tight fit. So if one uses the USB port to connect to the PC often, or only wants wireless charging under certain circumstances, then I wouldn't recommend it.

SeanBlader

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

I'm trading out the Nexus 5 for the M8, and while I use wireless charging at the office, I'll either use that for my Nexus 7, or I'll sell it to a co-worker who has the Nexus 5. Overall, worthwhile trade especially for the improved battery life reported by Alex.

MsRottn

May 20, 2014
Visit site

Not really "pointless" for me. I don't change phones very often, so I usually deal with the inconvenience of the charger plug becoming worn or on the phone end it becomes "loose" after 6 months or so. I'm actually ready for my 2 year replacement (old fashion, I know) and am torn on what phone to purchase.

I LOVE my Qi charger because I no longer have to deal with buying new cords or stopping by the phone repair shop to get the charger port "tightened up". I place my phone on the charging pad before bed and I wake up to a charged phone and I no longer deal with worn charger problems.

I LOVE HTC but I really wish they had included this feature as I love the features on the new M8 but am not happy with the so called "fix" for Qi charging (gottabemobile.com/2014/05/11/how-to-add-qi-wireless-charging-to-the-htc-one-m8-2/) :cool:

zpwls

May 22, 2014
Visit site

I LOVE my Qi charger because I no longer have to deal with buying new cords or stopping by the phone repair shop to get the charger port "tightened up".

My pre-M8 phone got four years of heavy use and I still used the original cord with no problems. Maybe you were doing something wrong.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site

If you're sleeping, why does it matter if your phone is on a wire or not? I just find wireless charger kind of pointless. It's a cool idea, but not really practical.

Sent from my Verizon HTC One M8

Disagree. Easy to put my phone on it at my desk, where I don't need to look at my phone. Essential, no. Pointless, no.

Posted via Android Central App

justanothermom

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
Wireless charging is not pointless to those millions of people who have run into the issue of their charging port going on the outs. I have had the phone for 2 years and warranty is expired. 100 bucks to fix the phone. Just looking for other options until I can upgrade phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance