HTC One (M8): Premium is an understatement

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have been the biggest evangelist of Apple products for years and there are generally no OEM competitors that can hold a candle to them but the one is a premium device. It feels great and was clearly well thought out. I wish they hadn't skimped in the camera because side from it, I have no problems with it at all.

My complaint with the camera is that I can't seem to get a good exposure from it. The corners are always blown out on a sunny day. Maybe it'll take some getting used to and adjusting but after years of no second thoughts about having the best available camera or among the best on my iPhone, this one is just middling. Really too bad.

And if developers can effectively use the dot view notifications, that could be the sleeper feature. I love the case.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I have been the biggest evangelist of Apple products for years and there are generally no OEM competitors that can hold a candle to them but the one is a premium device. It feels great and was clearly well thought out. I wish they hadn't skimped in the camera because side from it, I have no problems with it at all.

My complaint with the camera is that I can't seem to get a good exposure from it. The corners are always blown out on a sunny day. Maybe it'll take some getting used to and adjusting but after years of no second thoughts about having the best available camera or among the best on my iPhone, this one is just middling. Really too bad.

And if developers can effectively use the dot view notifications, that could be the sleeper feature. I love the case.

Try using HDR mode on a bright sunny day. I've had really good success with it. Also you can switch to HDR mode and then save the camera and you'll have an HDR preset that you can switch to quickly

Posted via Android Central App

blackhawksfan75

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Premium is an understatement

I am waiting for the dot view cases to come to Canada, but I also didn't want scratches on the back so I needed some sort of inexpensive case. I chose this one as well. Still shows off the beauty of the device while providing protection.

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

I am Canadian and the Dot View cases are here at some Telus stores. My local Telus store has it however I opted out of it due to the following reasons:

1. Love the front cover and the Dot View however wish it had been built differently. Versus all gray, I would have preferred a black cover and clear back so the back of the phone was exposed. I don't like how the back is all gray and hides the phone like it does.
2. It doesn't protect the top and side bezels.

So, I went with a thin clear back case with black sides. It shows the phone off yet still protects all angles (side and back) for me.

I am waiting for the dot view cases to come to Canada, but I also didn't want scratches on the back so I needed some sort of inexpensive case. I chose this one as well. Still shows off the beauty of the device while providing protection.

blackhawksfan75

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

The Bell stores won't officially launch the One M8 until Tuesday, so I may check with them then. When I asked about the dot view case the CSR didn't have a clue what I was talking about. If nothing I will wait until the Android Central store has all the colors available.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
The One M8 is the first Android to me that feels equal to - or better than - an Apple device. Both hardware and software. HTC did an absolutely amazing job with this device!

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
The One M8 is the first Android to me that feels equal to - or better than - an Apple device. Both hardware and software. HTC did an absolutely amazing job with this device!

I feel the same way right now too, I have barely touched my iPhone 5S since I got the M8, I'll see if it has the longevity to hold my attention, as I felt the same way way with my M7, but the battery life and stutteriness bugged me after a while and I got rid of it.

Unless camera or removable battery are a top priority, I don't understand why someone would get the S5 over this phone for the same price.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

The Note 4 will also be huuuuuuuuuuuuge.
That there is limiting it's appeal to the masses.

Not saying the Note 4 won't be a great phablet/phone/tablet but roughly 6" screen is too big for a lot of people to consider it the best phone of the year.
Also Nexus 6, G3 and Z2 still not released yet.
Also the new iPhone (you never know they may knock it out of the park this year... maybe)

I really hope the M8 does well and reverses HTC's fortunes, they deserve it.
They've done well to be first out of the gate with a great product but they are the first and there's a lot of competition every year.

quanitc

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I've owned the iphone 1, 3g, 3gs, 4, 4s and finally 5. You could say I quite like apple phones... the HTC one M8 is the first phone which was able to break that streak for me. I work in IT so we order phones all the time for testing so have tried them all and very quickly noticed little annoyances with all of the none apple alternatives, enter the HTC one m8, don't get me wrong - it does have a few things that annoy me, but I sideloaded the Google Now Launcher and that solved most of them.

What a phone, I know the camera is dissapointing for some but I suggest you do something strange - actually try it and ignore the specs for once. I find that its absolutely fantastic at what most people use their phone camera for... I swear sometimes people want their tech to be able to do stuff in theory when in reality its never used for that, such as prints etc.

I am a avid photographer and have tonnes of photography kit, I really don't see the point in phones having 20MP cameras etc, for one they are not usable at full size as the sensor is not good enough to create a high MP photo which can be used at 100%, secondly, almost everyone either uploads photos to social media or leaves them on their phones. In which case anything more than 4MP makes no sense. I know everyones not the same but personally I don't need my camera phone to be 20MP as I have a proper camera that does that for me (Sony A6000).

I think that HTC have created a phone and camera which works extremely well in actual life, which is why people seem to get one and absolutely love it, its similar to what attracted me to the iphones, on paper all the android alternatives were "better" when in reality and real use they were not. Until now. The build quality is second to none, I have a work iPhone 5s still and it just doesnt compare, plus that screen - damn I just couldn't use another phone now. I dare say its probably the best screen I've ever used, of any device not just a phone.

Last edited:

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I've owned the iphone 1, 3g, 3gs, 4, 4s and finally 5. You could say I quite like apple phones... the HTC one M8 is the first phone which was able to break that streak for me. I work in IT so we order phones all the time for testing so have tried them all and very quickly noticed little annoyances with all of the none apple alternatives, enter the HTC one m8, don't get me wrong - it does have a few things that annoy me, but I sideloaded the Google Now Launcher and that solved most of them.

What a phone, I know the camera is dissapointing for some but I suggest you do something strange - actually try it and ignore the specs for once. I find that its absolutely fantastic at what most people use their phone camera for... I swear sometimes people want their tech to be able to do stuff in theory when in reality its never used for that, such as prints etc.

I am a avid photographer and have tonnes of photography kit, I really don't see the point in phones having 20MP cameras etc, for one they are not usable at full size as the sensor is not good enough to create a high MP photo which can be used at 100%, secondly, almost everyone either uploads photos to social media or leaves them on their phones. In which case anything more than 4MP makes no sense. I know everyones not the same but personally I don't need my camera phone to be 20MP as I have a proper camera that does that for me (Sony A6000).

I think that HTC have created a phone and camera which works extremely well in actual life, which is why people seem to get one and absolutely love it, its similar to what attracted me to the iphones, on paper all the android alternatives were "better" when in reality and real use they were not. Until now. The build quality is second to none, I have a work iPhone 5s still and it just doesnt compare, plus that screen - damn I just couldn't use another phone now. I dare say its probably the best screen I've ever used, of any device not just a phone.

And there is HTC's target audience! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I tried the iPhone 4 & 5 in between Android phones because of lag. This phone is miles above those two phones IMO. The camera on the M8 is as good as the iPhone 5. The screen is way bigger than an iPhone's screen. So, someone using an iPhone is going to be amazed at this phone, because there's no Android lag. It's buttery smooth and gives you a good Android experience that Apple users have long since desired from Android. Apple needs to watch out as Android is catching it. Phones like the M8 are proof that Android is becoming a better experience. Now, am I happy with the M8? It's ok...

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I, too, have been a long-time Apple user. As in: iPhone 1, iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5 and 5S. Yes, every single iPhone ever released has been mine. I have been frustrated at times with the software but usually not the hardware. The 5S is a spectacular device. BUT it's just too small these days. And iOS is really showing it's age and limitations. (And I say this as the developer of 2 iOS apps - one of them is quite successful. I'm not going to retire as an iOS developer but it'll pay my mortgage on a monthly basis.)

I've also tried a number of Android devices going all the way back to the G1. I've lost count of how many I've tried - maybe 10? And every single one has made me run back to my iPhone. Except the M8. It's well made and Android is pretty solid these days. I still miss the polish of my favorite 3rd party apps (I would kill for a decent twitter app!) but I have not been encumbered in my work with the device. In fact, I'm more productive with the M8 than I ever could have been with my iPhone. Battery life gets me through the day, I can customize my sharing menu as needed and SwiftKey makes typing on the device easy.

I've been working a lot lately so I *know* I'm going to miss the features of my iPhone that make life easy when I'm playing. Better games, MUCH better camera, for example (no, please don't even start with the M8's camera being good. It's passable but not good.) and getting legit video is still not easy on Android. But as a work device, I have to say, I'm very happy.

All of this starts with it's build quality for me. I like my gadgets to feel well constructed and thought out. Keep the plastic junk with removable batteries away from me. I had many of those back in the day and hated the substandard feel of those devices. Samsung has it wrong - I, and many others, have no desire for removable batteries. Seal the thing up and make it feel premium. I have a feeling the M8 is going to be a pretty big hit. The S5 might underperform this quarter. We'll see but the M8 is the Android phone to beat.

arisenfury

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site

Does it feel premium? Well, I think that it does because it's metal and not plastic. Do I feel like its a premium device? No. Not in my opinion. A premium phone has a premium screen and a premium camera to go with the premium feel. This phone doesn't for me. While I love metal phones and love the feel of them, this one isn't doing it for me. It'll be my short term phone until something better comes along. However, I rarely keep a phone longer than 9 months, it'll just be 2 or 3 for this one.

What's your gripe with the screen?

The Courier

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I absolutely agree with the OP, the M8 is a beautiful device. I upgraded from a Nokia Lumia 920 to the M8 a week ago. The Lumia 920 is hard to beat, and even now after a week with the M8 I still miss my 920. Having said that though, my shiny new gunmetal M8 is a sexy piece of kit. It's going to be hard for any of the others to match the shear beauty of the M8.