HTC One (M8): Hate and Love

SeanBlader

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Post the one thing you hate and the one thing you love about your M8, Bad news first. Your welcome to comment as well. I will because I'm rather verbose in my writing. If you can't post something you hate or love that hasn't already been in the thread, by all means duplicate people above you.

TL;DR
Hate the logo bezel.
Love the camera.

Hate:
The Logo bezel since it adds so much height to the phone. I'm sure that space is put to good use behind it, and maybe it's fine as a tool to make the M8 appear more like a normal old-timey telephone where the mouthpiece was actually near your mouth, but... I just can't help think about the portability, weight savings, and the cool factor without it being there. I'd be curious what the battery estimates were pegged out to be with and without that space. HTC, what's the story? Surely someone there did the math? Can we next time look at a design without a front logo, or with the logo in a speaker area?

Love:
People, those that are uninformed and not properly analytical think there's not enough pixels. I think they're seeking approval for their worldview where bigger is always better. There are seriously placed where there are outstanding reasons for things to be small. Pixels are not one of them. Each generation of pixels should be bigger than the last, but because of historical lack of precision manufacturing there has been this trend where more is better instead of big is better. Thank you HTC for choosing correctly. Also, it should be faster than the prior camera, adding number of pixels doesn't help with that, it means more data to move off the sensor, and more space to save that data. HTC has still chosen correctly in this regard too, by using a 4mp sensor they can have it save images at a ridiculously fast rate, making possible the rapid fire camera and the fun Zoe's which show up on Google+ very nicely. Coming from the Nexus 5, the camera is such a massive improvement in performance that since I got the Nexus, I don't think I've actually gotten a shot I wanted because the lighting performance of the camera was terrible, or because the startup, focus, and capture time took *SO* long. I mean compared to the M7 it's much longer than 0.68 seconds, which for an android is nearly an eternity. Also I picked the camera, in the hopes that others will list features that I also love.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Hate and Love

Hate that they didn't include a gesture to turn the screen off. Thankfully though there is an app to fill that need, and it works very well.

Love how fast this thing charges

Posted via Android Central App

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

The closest thing to hate (not really hate, more like dislike) is the size. I've held my m7 next to my m8 and the screen of the m8 would easily fit on the m7, in fact you could probably fit a 5.1 or 5.2 screen on there if you go edge to edge. If they could have shrunk the m8 to the size of the m7 while keeping the same design and screen size it would've been close to perfect. After that I would say the camera, wish it still had OIS and had a higher megapixel count, 8 would've been fine. And then battery, not because battery life is bad, its actually quite decent, but because the Z2 and G2 have bigger batteries while being either the same size or smaller, so if HTC had been able to put one of those batteries in the battery life would have gone from good to great.

I love the design. It looks and feels great in the hand. In fact, it actually feels more premium than my iPhone 5S, and that's saying a lot. I guess after that is the screen, performance, speaker quality, phone quality, then sense in order.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site

Hate that I can't added custom RSS feeds to blinkfeed on the Verizon model.

Love everything else.

Sent from my HTC One (M8).

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site

Hate is too strong but the blue tooth is a bit wonky in mine. It doesn't connect automatically at times. Sometimes I do it manually and it takes three attempts. I'm sure a software update can fix this.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

omgitsjoe

May 1, 2013
Visit site

Hate that they didn't include a gesture to turn the screen off. Thankfully though there is an app to fill that need, and it works very well.

Check the Play Store for " Screen Off and Lock " app. Place it on your home page right near where your thumb can easily hit and it goes to sleep. It works great with the double tap when waking the device up !!

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

HATE: Size
LOVE: No Android Lag

The size is horrible. I HATE the size of the phone. I understand that people want external speakers, but there's no need for them on a phone. Use your earbuds like a normal person. I can't get over how big the phone is, and how small the screen is. It's amazing that the screen is actually smaller than the G2's screen, but the phone is waaay bigger.

Love the fact that there's no Android Lag/jank. It's a smooth running phone and system. Coming from a phone that constantly froze (Razr Max HD), I'm very happy that it doesn't freeze and hang.

I know you said 1, but the camera is also a close second of my hate of this phone. The camera is unpredictable. Sometimes the pictures are bad and sometimes they are good. Most of my pictures have a fog over them. It's not a good camera. Camera and size are two reasons why I am getting a G3 when it comes out and putting this phone up for sale at that time.

ChrisGonzales90

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

I can't really think of a single logical reason to hate the phone. Sure the size is diferent but I've gotten used to it and the whole bezel thing has been blown way out of proportion.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site

Hate is too strong but the blue tooth is a bit wonky in mine. It doesn't connect automatically at times. Sometimes I do it manually and it takes three attempts. I'm sure a software update can fix this.

Mine is a tad wonky also . it will connect and then disconnect and then reconnect constantly.

mcox1124

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

Hate that I can't added custom RSS feeds to blinkfeed on the Verizon model.

Love everything else.

If you open an RSS feed in the Internet app, it should give you the option to add the feed to BlinkFeed.

To the original point:

Hate - the uFocus isn't nearly as good as it could be.
Love - how easy it is to unlock, root, and s-off.

haevolution

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Hate: Headphone connector on the bottom

Love: External speaker sound quality

All the other hates I had for this phone are now gone since S-off/root/clockwork recovery have been installed. Hated Chrome because it's laggy and slow but love HTC browser. Hate that Verizon/Google blocked tethering for unlimited plan folk, love that I can now use the built in mobile hotspot without any app store workarounds. Not happy that Google removed screen time stats from the battery/power app - got that back now also.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Check the Play Store for " Screen Off and Lock " app. Place it on your home page right near where your thumb can easily hit and it goes to sleep. It works great with the double tap when waking the device up !!

That's the app I'm referring to, I already have it lol

Mine is setup to be used when swiping up from the home screen, like you would do to get to Google now. It works way better than having a shortcut on the homescreen because I can shut off the screen from any app

haevolution

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

That's the app I'm referring to, I already have it lol

Mine is setup to be used when swiping up from the home screen, like you would do to get to Google now. It works way better than having a shortcut on the homescreen because I can shut off the screen from any app

The double tap notification bar Xposed mod works awesome too. Keep forgetting I have it installed though lol.

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

What's the name of that app, duo you mind sharing

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

Hate how slippery the phone can be. I have pretty dry hands, so it's almost uncomfortable to hold. This was solved by throwing a case on it though.

Love the motion gestures and the speakers. Also love the build quality, even though it may be slippery haha.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci