Unrooting HTC One M8

AndyRoss18

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm still new to the whole rooting and flashing side of Android and even newer to these forums, I recently bought a HTC M8 and flashed Google Play Edition ROM to it which worked flawlessly. Looking for a more HTC stock way of life I flashed the Android Revolution 3.0 ROM and then found I could not use a few apps due to my phone being rooted so I'm looking to completely unroot my phone and go back to factory settings and start fresh, however I have no idea how and I unfortunately do not have a stock backup on hand through TWRP.

How do I go about doing this? I have SuperSU installed but when I click "Fully Unroot" and reboot my phone is still rooted and I'm still unable to use the few apps I need. I would very appreciative of any help you guys could offer!

Thank you very much for your time.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm still new to the whole rooting and flashing side of Android and even newer to these forums, I recently bought a HTC M8 and flashed Google Play Edition ROM to it which worked flawlessly. Looking for a more HTC stock way of life I flashed the Android Revolution 3.0 ROM and then found I could not use a few apps due to my phone being rooted so I'm looking to completely unroot my phone and go back to factory settings and start fresh, however I have no idea how and I unfortunately do not have a stock backup on hand through TWRP.

How do I go about doing this? I have SuperSU installed but when I click "Fully Unroot" and reboot my phone is still rooted and I'm still unable to use the few apps I need. I would very appreciative of any help you guys could offer!

Welcome to Android Central :)
What version of the M8 do you have?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

You may have to reflash a stock ROM. This would get you back on stock Sense and fully unroot you.

AndyRoss18

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for the late replies, I love in the UK and I posted at about 1 in morning :') I've got a version locked to my provider Vodafone.

I can't use my banking app, Barclays' mobile banking does not support rooted phones and won't even let me get past the first screen.

Where would I find a stock ROM? I've been looking everywhere I can and still can't find one and, unfortunately, I forgot to make a backup before flashing (edited by Moderator). Is there anywhere I could download one or do I need to wait for one to be uploaded somewhere?

Thank you for all your answers and help, I really appreciate it.

danmaytee

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi mate, I'm also having the same problem with my M8 but I'm on o2. I have rooted my phone but still have the stock rom but for the life of me I cannot unroot. I've found this link here that has a lot of stock roms but I'm having trouble trying to flash them. If you have any luck could you post up once you've done it and help me out too? :). Hope you get it sorted.

Edit - I've just done this

Boot your phone to TWRP recovery mode by turn off your phone then presses Vol up + Power to boot into bootloader then choose RECOVERY. There is a more simple way, by using “adb reboot recovery”.
Once came into TWRP main menu, now tap Mount -> Mount system then taps Home.
Tap Advanced -> File Manager, browse to “/system/xbin” folder. From there delete su, daemonsu or busybox if it exists. Also browse to “/system/app” the get rid of Superuser.apk.

Now Supersu doesn't come back when I reboot and root checker tells me my phone isn't rooted. Ive tried the barcleys app and I can use it ok although I can't log in as I'm not a customer of them. I'm just hoping I can now use OTA updates when they come available. I just need to remove the tampered tag and lock the bootloader etc so it all looks stock again.

Last edited:

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi mate, I'm also having the same problem with my M8 but I'm on o2. I have rooted my phone but still have the stock rom but for the life of me I cannot unroot. I've found this link here that has a lot of stock roms but I'm having trouble trying to flash them. If you have any luck could you post up once you've done it and help me out too? :). Hope you get it sorted.

Edit - I've just done this

Boot your phone to TWRP recovery mode by turn off your phone then presses Vol up + Power to boot into bootloader then choose RECOVERY. There is a more simple way, by using ?adb reboot recovery?.
Once came into TWRP main menu, now tap Mount -> Mount system then taps Home.
Tap Advanced -> File Manager, browse to ?/system/xbin? folder. From there delete su, daemonsu or busybox if it exists. Also browse to ?/system/app? the get rid of Superuser.apk.

Now Supersu doesn't come back when I reboot and root checker tells me my phone isn't rooted. Ive tried the barcleys app and I can use it ok although I can't log in as I'm not a customer of them. I'm just hoping I can now use OTA updates when they come available. I just need to remove the tampered tag and lock the bootloader etc so it all looks stock again.

As far as I know, you cannot remove the tampered tag. I could be wrong though so someone feel free to correct me if I am

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Another very easy fix...xposed modules. There is one that will hide root from certain apps and used to work well, though I have not used it recently. It is available on XDA and is ver simple with step by step instructions.

rr3mix

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Currently in a similar position as OP (with an AT&T HTC M8) - but I didn't get all the way through to flashing a custom ROM. I'm stuck in Bootloader (no access to TWRP as far as I know). I want to get back to the stock ROM. In Bootloader I see, ***TAMPERED*** ***UNLOCKED***

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

danmaytee

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Currently in a similar position as OP (with an AT&T HTC M8) - but I didn't get all the way through to flashing a custom ROM. I'm stuck in Bootloader (no access to TWRP as far as I know). I want to get back to the stock ROM. In Bootloader I see, ***TAMPERED*** ***UNLOCKED***

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Try using this program posted here. Once you've got it open connect your phone to your computer via usb and then make sure you're in bootloader, highlight "fastboot" and press the power button. Once you've done that on the program you've downloaded click TWRP (Top right) and click "Flash Recovery". It will open a CMD window, close it and another one will appear and should write the Recovery to the phone. Once it has done test it by pressing the VOL DOWN key until "RECOVERY" is highlight and press the power button Hopefully if all done right you will now be in TWRP Recovery.

Now for the next part... Grab a copy of a stock rom from here (make sure you choose the right one). Once downloaded put it into these folders on the phone memory (or sd card just make sure you change it in recovery if you do) "TWRP\Backups\". Once done click "RESTORE" In TWRP Recovery and it should write the rom for you.

Hope all goes well and I hope all this works ok for you :). Let me know how you get on.

Iman AshBurn

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
hey anyone have any idea how to get rid of twrp recovery? now that there's a system update for the m8, everytime i try to install it the device keeps rebooting to recovery mode voiding the update. how do i solve this? any help will be much appreciated thanks!

danmaytee

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
hey anyone have any idea how to get rid of twrp recovery? now that there's a system update for the m8, everytime i try to install it the device keeps rebooting to recovery mode voiding the update. how do i solve this? any help will be much appreciated thanks!

Grab the stock recovery from here mate. Then flash it using the HTC One M8 Tool kit.

Click "Your own recovery" and then flash recovery at the top right hand of the program.
wspc9t.jpg

Or if you know how to use the commands through fastboot/ADB (not sure what it's called) then you can do it through that using the commands shown on the 1st link I sent you.

If you need anymore help feel free to drop me a message. I was in the same boat as you and spent hours figuring it all out. I'm not an expert but I will be able to help you sort it :)

Iman AshBurn

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Grab the stock recovery from here mate. Then flash it using the HTC One M8 Tool kit.

Click "Your own recovery" and then flash recovery at the top right hand of the program.
View attachment 115367

Or if you know how to use the commands through fastboot/ADB (not sure what it's called) then you can do it through that using the commands shown on the 1st link I sent you.

If you need anymore help feel free to drop me a message. I was in the same boat as you and spent hours figuring it all out. I'm not an expert but I will be able to help you sort it :)

hey mate thanks for the help! i have one problem though haha. how the heck do i know which version of recovery to use?

danmaytee

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
hey mate thanks for the help! i have one problem though haha. how the heck do i know which version of recovery to use?

No worries mate. Go into Settings>About>Software Infomation and look at your software number.

Mine is 1.54.206.5 so I'd need to choose the one I've highlighted in the photo below.

Untitled.jpg

Let me know if you need anymore help :)

Also once you've flashed the recovery try and boot up into it and if you get an exclamation mark on the screen it all should be good. Just press VOL UP + POWER while you have the exclamation mark up and it will put you into the normal recovery. That's the only bit that fooled me as I thought the Exclamation mark meant it wasn't seeing any recovery program but it's actually the stock recovery lol.