HTC One (M8): My battery life sucks what's wrong?

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Is 20% after 9 hours really that bad???
Are you saying you've used 20% (out of the starting 100%) leaving you 80% remaining after 9 hours, or are you saying you only have 20% (out of the starting 100%) after 9 hours have passed? Are you talking about overall time (use and sleep combined), screen-on time (use), or mainly time with the phone sleeping?
How long your battery lasts is also relative to what you've been doing during the time its on. If you've spent most of your time watching videos on it, or taking videos and/or pictures with the camera then it wouldn't be surprising to see it consumed quickly. On the other hand if all you're doing is texting, making calls, and maybe some lite web browsing (reading text on websites as opposed to watching videos, or playing games) then battery should be consumed slower.

henryfool3

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
So I'm gonna go this route and post a shot from gsamm and ask for some feedback. I can't for the life of me figure out how people go past 4 hours of screen time wirhout shutting off all functionality.

I keep wifi on all the time. On it most of the day at work. Bluetooth is on. GPS off. Screen is not auto and cut down. Synching 3 Gmail accounts. Facebook doesn't update. Trying to think of settings.

But check out the screen shot. Isn't that a bit of battery used for little usage. Signal is 4glte most of the time. Fairly good reception.

Anyway, feedback is appreciated.

Posted via Android Central App

One more thing. Look at my awake time. How do I determine what is causing it to be so high? I can't determine it from gsamm.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I keep wifi on all the time. On it most of the day at work. Bluetooth is on. GPS off. Screen is not auto and cut down. Synching 3 Gmail accounts. Facebook doesn't update. Trying to think of settings.
Do you need bluetooth on all the time? (Including at work?) Unless there is a reason for you to keep bluetooth on all the time I recommend having it disabled by default. Granted it only accounts for 0.8% of your battery drain (according to GSam) if there is not a reason to keep it on 24/7 (which I also think goes for most people with GPS) you might as well shut it off, and only turn it on when you need it.
According to that GSam report your apps are sucking up the vast majority of your battery (65%). (On my phone apps only account for 24% of my battery drain. 7.4% of that being the OS itself). Click the > next to the 65.5% to see what apps are using up most of your battery. From there click on any of those apps you don't use (or don't plan to use), then click the manage button, and then force stop the ones you don't need running all the time, and disable the ones you never use (and have no plans to ever use).

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
So I'm gonna go this route and post a shot from gsamm and ask for some feedback. I can't for the life of me figure out how people go past 4 hours of screen time wirhout shutting off all functionality.

But check out the screen shot. Isn't that a bit of battery used for little usage. Signal is 4glte most of the time. Fairly good reception.

Anyway, feedback is appreciated.

Try turning WiFi off for a few days, if you can live with out using wifi that is. Im not sure what type of data plan you have. But back on page 1 post #16 i mentioned seeing higher CPU usage when i left WiFi on.

Afeef Ek

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
How long have you been using the phone...i mean were you getting less battery first time use got the phone? its only been 1 week i bought my m8 and i'm little worried

Afeef Ek

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: My battery life sucks what's wrong ?

After almost 12 hours of light use, I still have 80%

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

How long have you been using the phone...i mean were you getting less battery first time use got the phone? its only been 1 week i bought my m8 and i'm little worried

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I have had my Verizon HTC One M8 since release. I am Unlocked, S-off, and rooted and running a custom rom called CleanROM. And I get excellent battery life. Often with 75% remaining after an average day of use.

tigerNamedtony07

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Same issue with my one. Something Is keeping it awake when screen is off. It says under screen on gsam that screen in 42 minutes. Discharge while on. 12 and off 19

andy079

May 5, 2015
Visit site
To HTC.....

Please increase the battery life or your company will be in total failure... you're giving just 2600 mah battery in a 5.5 inch phablet which is ridiculous, either you increase the battery life or decrease the screen size to say 5 inch, that would be great but don't you dare to decrease the battery size as it will again be the same problem.
Why the company is acting so strangely while specifying a battery life... your software tricks and tips won't be able to satisfy the volume of battery which is "already less" you have put in.. don't talk about saving the battery in any other ways.. just damn "increase" it...
you must be aware of the rule of nature that the size of the phone is directly proportional to the battery life....if you increase the size you have to increase the battery life......is that simple? Thousands of customers have rejected your product due to mediocre to bad batteries inside your product.... so its just a wisdom of knowledge from a well wisher and make sure to follow it...

andy079

May 5, 2015
Visit site
To The Head and Staffs of HTC

Please increase the battery life or your company will be in total failure... you're giving just 2600 mah battery in a 5.5 inch phablet which is ridiculous, either you increase the battery life or decrease the screen size to say 5 inch, that would be great but don't you dare to decrease the battery size as it will again be the same problem.
Why the company is acting so strangely while specifying a battery life... your software tricks and tips won't be able to satisfy the volume of battery which is less you have put in.. don't talk about saving the battery in any other ways.. just damn increase it...
you must be aware of the rule of nature that the size of the phone is directly proportional to the battery life....if you increase the size you have to increase the battery life......is that simple? Thousands of customers have rejected your product due to mediocre to bad batteries inside your product.... so it's just a wisdom of knowledge from a well wisher and make sure to follow it...

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
People, believe or not, there are two things you should know about battery monitoring apps.

First thing, they don't give accurate readings, as their results varies and changes based on the user daily device usage. So unless you do exactly the same things every day on your device, the app results will be (random, average, .... etc)

Second, battery monitoring apps must be running on the background full time, meaning they can cause your battery to drain faster. The irony is strong with this one.

Sent from my HTC One M8

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Why the company is acting so strangely while specifying a battery life... your software tricks and tips won't be able to satisfy the volume of battery which is less you have put in.. don't talk about saving the battery in any other ways.. just damn increase it...
you must be aware of the rule of nature that the size of the phone is directly proportional to the battery life....if you increase the size you have to increase the battery life......is that simple? Thousands of customers have rejected your product due to mediocre to bad batteries inside your product.... so it's just a wisdom of knowledge from a well wisher and make sure to follow it...

Not to be nit picky, but you do realize you ask them to reduce the size from 5.5 inch to 5 inch. The M8 already has a 5 inch display. NOT 5.5 inch. So i guess you got your wish and didnt even know. :)

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site

Er...okay...where to start?

1. My battery life is fantastic. I can go through a 15 hour day and have 50% or more remaining each and every day with moderate use.

2. The HTC One M8 has a 5" screen, not 5.5" screen, and it is most certainly not a "phablet" as you suggest.

3. You're talking about a phone that came out a year ago as though it came out yesterday. Why?

4. You speak of HTC being a "failure" and yet the HTC One M8 was (in my opinion and the opinion of many others as well) the best phone of the year.

5. I don't mean to offend you, but HTC is more than capable of surviving without your "advice" regardless of how much you demand they follow it - if you have an issue with battery life, either your expectations are unrealistic or you're not taking the necessary steps to ensure your battery lasts the whole day. If you are having issues, there are many people here willing and able to assist you with your phone's battery life, but instead of criticizing the manufacturer, you'll have to start a new thread and request help.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
battery monitoring apps must be running on the background full time, meaning they can cause your battery to drain faster. The irony is strong with this one.

This has to be doubly true for monitoring apps that push pop-up ads and recommend other BS apps & downloads. My battery usage improved dramatically the day I uninstalled Battery Doctor, Clean Master and CM Security.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20