HTC One (M8): My battery life sucks what's wrong?

ZacD22

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I have read all great reviews on the battery life but mine only makes it about 9 hours then I have 20% left that's with playing no games about 15 mins of calls a few texts and a little YouTube it just keeps draining it is new so I don't know if batterys have to run threw a few cycles before it gets better but if some could help me out I would appreciate it greatly.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Re: My battery life sucks what's wrong ?

I get great battery life with my M8, I would check to see what apps might be running in the background. It could be you have apps running that you don't even know about that is contributing to your battery drain.

jboy001

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I found my culprit to be trying to maintain the 4g connection in the house even though it was on WiFi, once I switched my phone to CDMA only my battery life improved dramatically. I'm on sprint so YMMV

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

I would check your Advanced WIFI settings and make sure you have "WiFi Optimization" and "Auto-switch to mobile network" selected also.

ZacD22

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site

I have 19% left after 9 hours that's with turning off sync and closing out every app once I used them this sucks ***

cagool

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

My phone had similar battery life until I found that it had NFC on by default - when I turned it off the battery life went up considerably.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

After almost 12 hours of light use, I still have 80%

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site

I have 19% left after 9 hours that's with turning off sync and closing out every app once I used them this sucks ***

There is a real problem with your device. Sounds like a rogue app killing the battery. The absolute best way to solve it is to factory reset and see if the problem stops. Once you do the reset keep the phone free from any additional apps. If it works fine then go ahead and reinstall your apps. If not, get it replaced ASAP. NFC uses very little power. If you are in a very weak area for coverage it would kill your battery pretty quick, but that would have been the same on your old device.

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

How did you upload a image

You can't upload an image using the official Android Central app. But, you can use Tapatalk, the Mobile Nations app, or the Android Central Forums app (the one that is based off of Tapatalk. It looks exactly like the old Tapatalk.)

little09

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

Do not use sync for their services, could drain this battery performances, when you use something, just push the sync you want to sent a sync then that it.
Or go setting in option and uncheck sync bluetooth nfc. All of threes can drain the battery that you don't need them.

Posted via HTC M7

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Can someone with SystemPannel run a test for me. I want to get a 2nd set of data points to check something with.

I use SystemPannel to check my CPU usage. I normally set it for a 2 hour window, and during stand by my CPU is in the 3-5% range.
However i have run across something interesting.
The other night i left my device connected to WiFi and found it was in the 30% range the entire time.
I normally dont use WiFi as my TMO coverage is strong, LTE is strong and very fast.
With other devices i have noticed slight increase in CPU usage when in stand by and on WiFi, which is normal as its running another radio / connection so yeah more things to process. My note 3 for example uses 4-6% more. This is all per the app, SystemPannel. So trying to keep things the same.
IF someone has the app, and has TMO (using ATT should get similar results but Sprint/VER might get different since they are CDMA) please set it for 2 or 8 hours and let it sit on the charger over night and report what your device is like in the morning.
I will continue to run a few more tests with NFC off and also toy with a few other options.
EDIT added pics.
The first pic shows 8 hour window. I also rebooted the phone in the middle of the 8 hour window to make sure it wasnt a rogue app. You will see WiFi on then off then back on. Second pic shows 2 hour window and it started with WiFi off then on. Notice the CPU jump.
2014-04-13 15.36.30.jpgand
2014-04-13 15.36.24.jpg

Last edited:

Jun Alcanites

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site

I have a 5 day old One M8 and is experiencing the same battery issue. I was on a chat with a VZ tech and my battery drop from 41% to 36% in a 30 minute chat. I had wifi off, gps off, nfc off, bluetooth off. I am going to try a factory hard reset. If this doesn't work, I'll just exchange it with another unit tomorrow.

digitard

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

You can try loading an app like GSAM (not sure if it needs ROOT, honestly) which will take a pretty deep look at battery usage and give you some ideas of key items taking up use.

It's like the built in battery app but a bit more comprehensive.

I'm leaning towards a rogue app as well.

Also go into apps like Facebook, and so forth, into their app settings and make sure they don't have crazy sync settings.

Generally I tend to set almost all my apps (Except weather) to manual sync just because there's no point for it to cache it. I'll wait the 1/2 a second to refresh the few times a day I use it.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Another thing to consider that I am not reading about is to check your screen's brightness level and screen timeout setting.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

ZacD22

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok I did a factory reset and and charged my phone over night turned off all the Google crap also uninstalled Yahoo email app I read it was a battery drainer I also turned off sync and today I'm at 35% after 13 hours 25 min so seems good so far thanks guys for the help

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phlyx