HTC One (M8): Camera Lens Issue

Josiah Shoemaker

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: HTC One (M8): Camera lens cover issue

I made an account just to thank sillyphillie and Skyway for recommending trying to scratch off the coating, you saved me and alot of other people money.

My m8 lense was scratching horribly, and I didn't understand why. I baby the living hell out of this phone. It is in a commuter case I make sure that it is the only thing in my right pocket (no keys, no change, ect), but it was getting these horrible scratches. I was trying to take a picture of a room in my house today and it was so blurry (its below) that the light from a window was just hazing the whole photo.
ahi4GA3.jpg

So I gave up and started searching and I found this thread, and read all of it. I didn't see any before and after pictures to confirm the scratching off the film theory, so I am making them. IT WORKS To all the people paying, don't. All I did was take my fingernail and scratch it off. I didn't have time to do all of it, I just did the area where the lense actually uses, but if I had time I'd do the rest. Here are the before and after pics.

The lense, scratched to all hell for no reason.
wHOMK7l.jpg

after scratching the coating off. You can see the color of the lense has actually changed.
Ew3bS17.jpg
432UTBv.jpg

and a picture of the room after the fix.
5JELtxQ.jpg

blink1me82

May 27, 2013
Visit site

I made an account just to thank sillyphillie and Skyway for recommending trying to scratch off the coating, you saved me and alot of other people money.

My m8 lense was scratching horribly, and I didn't understand why. I baby the living hell out of this phone. It is in a commuter case I make sure that it is the only thing in my right pocket (no keys, no change, ect), but it was getting these horrible scratches. I was trying to take a picture of a room in my house today and it was so blurry (its below) that the light from a window was just hazing the whole photo.
View attachment 118799

So I gave up and started searching and I found this thread, and read all of it. I didn't see any before and after pictures to confirm the scratching off the film theory, so I am making them. IT WORKS To all the people paying, don't. All I did was take my fingernail and scratch it off. I didn't have time to do all of it, I just did the area where the lense actually uses, but if I had time I'd do the rest. Here are the before and after pics.

View attachment 118801

after scratching the coating off. You can see the color of the lense has actually changed.
View attachment 118802
View attachment 118803

View attachment 118804

Wow... what a difference! Thanks for sharing.

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

Looks good, if my replacement lens starts doing it again I will surely get it off myself. I sent mine in knowing full well it was a manufacture problem and I did not want them to see anything that looked like I was messing with it. Fortunately after talking to the right people it got taken care of using the phones manufacture warranty and not Advantage.

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

Did you use your HTC Advantage coverage? Or are they doing this free and acknowledging they have a problem?

While they are doing it for "free" (I only have to pay the shipping charge), I asked the customer representative and he stated that if I were to hypothetically crack the screen on the replacement phone they are sending me a week after receiving it, I would not be covered, because I would have already received a manufacturers phone as per the HTC's device swap. It is only a one-time thing, and after this, I would not be covered under HTC's Advantage plan.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

View attachment 118799

View attachment 118801

View attachment 118802
View attachment 118803

View attachment 118804

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help and everything worked for you! I would recommend getting a camera lens protector (just like a screen protector except it covers your camera lens) to help protect it.

Posted via Android Central App

artofdesign

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site

I've updated my first post(thread creator) in effort mainly to save future searchers time.
Thanks to everyone who shared their findings and also to those who shared about interactions with HTC regarding this issue.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

clborden

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

While they are doing it for "free" (I only have to pay the shipping charge), I asked the customer representative and he stated that if I were to hypothetically crack the screen on the replacement phone they are sending me a week after receiving it, I would not be covered, because I would have already received a manufacturers phone as per the HTC's device swap. It is only a one-time thing, and after this, I would not be covered under HTC's Advantage plan.

Gotcha...could you keep us updated on how you make out with the replacement device? If the new one scratches or not?...especially if it doesn't. It'll seem more like a batch had the issue instead of all of them.

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

Gotcha...could you keep us updated on how you make out with the replacement device? If the new one scratches or not?...especially if it doesn't. It'll seem more like a batch had the issue instead of all of them.

I will.

I actually switched the device swap plan from them sending me a new device (and sending mine back when I get the new one) to me sending my device in (and them sending me a new one once they get it), so it may take a couple days.

There's also been confusion as to whether or not this device will be brand new from the manufacturer or whether it will be a manufacturer's refurbished. I've received different answers from the few customer service representatives I've talked to, so it'll be interesting to see what I actually get.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Just got off the phone with a very informative HTC customer representative.

He gave me three options (for which all are free of charge, phone covered under warranty)...

1) Send the phone in for repairs (leaves me phone-less)
2) Send the phone in, receive a brand spankin' new one...NOT a refurbished one...get charged $20 for shipping (leaves me phone-less)
3) HTC sends a brand spankin' new phone to my house, places hold for cost of phone on my credit card, get charged $30 for shipping (hey...I'm not phone-less!)

I'm thinking option 3.

I'm just glad this is covered. I learned my lesson!

Option 3 is certainly the way to go

Samsung can learn a lot from option 3
-Sent from Tapatalk

Josiah Shoemaker

May 18, 2014
Visit site

I have figured out what causes the lense hazing. The phone getting hot, weakens the protective coating causing it to be easily scratched or haze. I was looking through my gallery and saw that friday, my phone was taking perfectly clear photos, I didn't notice the hazing till Saturday night, the only thing I did Saturday was go on a long car ride. I was playing alot of games and listening to music for a couple hours straight and my phone got really hot, I didnt think anything of it, since i had owned a m7 before the m8, which got really hot too.

So to test my theory, i took a heat gun and heated the front facing camera, which at the time was perfectly clear. Using a infrared thermometer, i measured the lens to be 115-120F. At which point the hazing started to happen. Proving my theory.

I have another theory, part of the reason why almost only people with cases are getting this, is because the case provides insulation, not allowing the phone to properly cool. Idk how to prove that one though.

TLDR: Heat causes the coating on the lens to weaken/haze

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

Did someone here write that Cult of Android article? They used my photo, my scratches are copywritten.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Did someone here write that Cult of Android article? They used my photo, my scratches are copywritten.

i believe once you post a photo to this site, and any forum really, the site gains access to your copyrighted photo....in the TOS

Kathryn Miranda

May 20, 2014
Visit site

Why in the world would you pay anything when you just spent $700 to buy the product, and it has a 1yr warranty, right? Issues like this is just unacceptable for a brand new device! I don't care if it's only $30 for shipping, that's not cool, they should cover the costs 100%. I see lots of people complaining these days about customer service & quality issues, we need to complain louder. My husband and I are getting our M8's tomorrow, I can't wait to grill t-mobile about the lens problem before I even turn on my device. I wish I would have seen this post a few days ago when I was in the store ordering my phone, the guy who came in with a scratched lens would have been informed by me.Thank you everyone on this post for sharing!
Just got off the phone with a very informative HTC customer representative.

He gave me three options (for which all are free of charge, phone covered under warranty)...

1) Send the phone in for repairs (leaves me phone-less)
2) Send the phone in, receive a brand spankin' new one...NOT a refurbished one...get charged $20 for shipping (leaves me phone-less)
3) HTC sends a brand spankin' new phone to my house, places hold for cost of phone on my credit card, get charged $30 for shipping (hey...I'm not phone-less!)

I'm thinking option 3.

I'm just glad this is covered. I learned my lesson!

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

Just to be clear, in my case I didn't pay a dime. HTC paid shipping both ways and covered the lens under warranty. Luckily, or sadly, I had my old Thunderbolt to use in the meantime.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Just to be clear, in my case I didn't pay a dime. HTC paid shipping both ways and covered the lens under warranty. Luckily, or sadly, I had my old Thunderbolt to use in the meantime.

But, you had the power of Twitter?

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

Yes, but hopefully might plight may have changed the way they look at other phones that come in with the same problem.