HTC One (M8): Camera Lens Issue

worsy

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: HTC One (M8): Camera lens cover issue

I live in the UK and I'm on my 2nd phone as they have both done the smeary camera lens , anyway I tried the wife's nail varnish remover on a cotton bud and just rubbed it on and then used a clean bud and with a bit of effort it cleared the lens and now I have better pictures than when I 1st got it , think it needs to be issued with HTC cos I bet theres a lot of HTC m8 owners with this problem .

Posted via Android Central App

worsy

May 12, 2014
Visit site

Not sure it's just a film... the lens was great for the first 1.5 months. Pictures looked fantastic... then the hazy effect started. If it was part of the manufacturing process, wouldn't it have been bad from the get go?

Read my post ,my 1st phone lasted 2wks before it went hazy and my 2nd about 3 wks , but now it's back to normal 😃

worsy

May 12, 2014
Visit site

Nail varnish remover is the answer there's a film on the lens

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site

I wonder if this film was supposed to be on there and it was just bad quality, or they forgot to take it off in the manufacturing process

-Sent from Tapatalk

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

I wonder if this film was supposed to be on there and it was just bad quality, or they forgot to take it off in the manufacturing process

-Sent from Tapatalk

I think it was to protect the lens during manufacturing and was never washed off.

anon(67796)

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

Yeah after reading this thread and posting yesterday about my discovery of the scracthes on the lens, I went home and took a micro fiber cloth and my meguairs wax for my car and put some work in with is and now its back to normal. Just a slight ring around the outside but i will finish that off when I get back home today. Left some very fine sracthes but im not worried about that. The image quality is back to normal.

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

For all you guys that cleaned your lenses.. could you post pictures of your after cleaning lens results so we can get an idea of the best things to use that don't leave any residual marks?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

StarfishP

May 30, 2012
Visit site

For those of you with the problem and sent your phone in. Was it rooted and did you revert back to stock or anything? Also for those with the lens scratch issue, does your lens flex?

corandog

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I purchased the htc one M8 in early April and as of the middle of May the quality of photos has degraded to a point that photos are bad. I compared it to a brand new one at the store and using the same settings, there is a big difference. The lens or lens cover has many pit marks or fine scratches that has interfered with the quality of photos. I am including a photo taken at a quality control lab for Lens_001.jpga review.
also did some chemical analysis in consultation with several material engineers that I work with and it does look like it is a coating that is the problem.

I have talked to Sprint and the insurance will not cover it but, I was advised to file a claim and pay an extra 100 dollars to get the phone replaced. I talked to HTC and was advised that I can send the phone in for repair and be without a phone for some time or I can pay 20 dollars and have a 600 hold charge on my credit card to have a phone sent to me and then send the damaged phone in. Neither proposal is acceptable. I am asking for a fair resolution to this issue.

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

For those of you with the problem and sent your phone in. Was it rooted and did you revert back to stock or anything? Also for those with the lens scratch issue, does your lens flex?

I sent mine in S-off and unlocked and it came back that way. Just make sure you have stock recovery and splash screens.

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

To all the people who said we need to be more careful with our phones...poo on you. Lol

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

Good luck, and don't pay anything!

Only paid the $20 for shipping...had no choice on that unfortunately...

Also for those with the lens scratch issue, does your lens flex?

Maybe a bit, but I didn't really pay to much attention to whether it did or not.

I talked to HTC and was advised that I can send the phone in for repair and be without a phone for some time or I can pay 20 dollars and have a 600 hold charge on my credit card to have a phone sent to me and then send the damaged phone in. Neither proposal is acceptable. I am asking for a fair resolution to this issue.

-One was a $20 shipping charge and be without a phone.
-Another option was a $30 shipping charge (not $20) with a $600 hold.

These are the most fair resolutions you are going to get. Either way, you're getting a new phone free of problems. If you go any other route besides those two, you're going to have to pay up, so I'm not really sure what your complaint is.

dnewell

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
So I went to my local ATT store today and after the rep looked at the scratches she arranged for a warranty replacement which should arrive next week. In the meantime I continue to accrue scratches almost hourly for no apparent reason. I am starting to think that tiny hairline scratches are exposing this film to air causing oxidation which makes the scratches more noticeable and causes even more oxidation. That would explain why the scratches seem to come out of nowhere.

I also ordered some lens protector things from slickwraps.com which I will immediately install on the new phone. If I think about it I'll post back to this thread later with my impressions of the protectors.

dyphx

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

Are you getting a new phone or a refurbished? I think if the choice was removing the film, or getting a refurbished phone I would choose the former.

So I went to my local ATT store today and after the rep looked at the scratches she arranged for a warranty replacement which should arrive next week. In the meantime I continue to accrue scratches almost hourly for no apparent reason. I am starting to think that tiny hairline scratches are exposing this film to air causing oxidation which makes the scratches more noticeable and causes even more oxidation. That would explain why the scratches seem to come out of nowhere.

I also ordered some lens protector things from slickwraps.com which I will immediately install on the new phone. If I think about it I'll post back to this thread later with my impressions of the protectors.

dnewell

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

Are you getting a new phone or a refurbished? I think if the choice was removing the film, or getting a refurbished phone I would choose the former.

I disagree. My concern about trying to remove the film is voiding the warranty in the process. I'm not putting nail polish remover on my phone unless all other options are exhausted.

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

In my case I had the almost perfect phone except for the lens. I went with the warranty cover replacement because I wanted to ensure I got my otherwise perfect phone back.. plus I didn't want to deal with unlocking again.

dnewell

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I disagree. My concern about trying to remove the film is voiding the warranty in the process. I'm not putting nail polish remover on my phone unless all other options are exhausted.

I just checked and verified it is a new unit. And there's no shipping charges either way. Can't beat that

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

I just checked and verified it is a new unit. And there's no shipping charges either way. Can't beat that

I tried to get a replacement under warranty from my carrier (Verizon). I explained the issue, and they stated that it is not currently a known issue, nor is there anything specific about this issue under the warranty. The only way I could have received a replacement from the warranty was for HTC to come right out and say that this was a known issue, which they didn't. Thus, I had to go back to HTC in the end to get the device swapped under the Advantage plan.