Which phone is better, GALAXY S5 or HTC ONE M8?

kingvanimal

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
The s5 and Nexus won't be able to recreate the same type of blur photos as good as the M8. Simply because they do not have the 2nd camera. It's just common sense. Not saying the Google blur doesn't look decent.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
The s5 and Nexus won't be able to recreate the same type of blur photos as good as the M8. Simply because they do not have the 2nd camera. It's just common sense. Not saying the Google blur doesn't look decent.

The whole background blur thing is all artifical. I don't know why the M8 has the extra camera. The same thing can be accomplished in PhotoShop.

Posted via Android Central App

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I love how the S5 loyalists keep bringing up the camera but it is still a smartphone and Samsung has never been great at that basic concept, call quality signal strength and maintaining a connection but yet you do not get much of a debate when someone mentioned that, but when lag and camera comes up the debate is on,both devices have there strengths and weaknesses,and anyone who claims either is perfect at everything is full of it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I just can't believe how a phone is so much better then another because of what someone says about the camera. I feel if you need that great of a picture then use a camera. I bought a phone not a camera. neither phones been out long enough for anyone to make judgement. Plus i feel unless you use both phones for a period of time you really don't know what heck you are talking about.

nrbeal12

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Both phones really aren't all that impressive compared to their predecessors. After using the M8 for awhile I traded it for a 5s with $150 lol.... it was a great phone, it just felt kind of awkward sometimes for different reasons. But i loved the M7 and even really enjoyed the M8. the s5 is ugly to me, and I'm not all that impressed with it. Then again Touchwiz has the tendency to make me want to gag. If I had to choose... I would tell a person to get the M8. But first I would tell them to look at the Note 3 or iphone 5s. Which are still the best phones out right now IMO

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
And people are complaining about lag (once again) on the S5. Every single complaint I have heard about both phones are nitpicking and overblown.

Although it's annoying in the forums, nitpicking might be a good thing now that you say it. It means our phones are getting better and better, and we're looking for things that are wrong instead of focusing on what is actually good with these phones.

Both phones are great devices, there's no denying that.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
The whole background blur thing is all artifical. I don't know why the M8 has the extra camera. The same thing can be accomplished in PhotoShop.

Because every phone has that built in or has a PC and photoshop... or even wants that bloatware on their PC.
The M8 has the effects built in can add the effects then upload to Face+ or whatever social media all within a few seconds of taking the picture - no Abode bloat required.
If you don't like ufocus effects, don't use them.
Simples.

cdaq

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen the google phone app yet but you can do more than blur the background with the M8. The pic I posted was showing the cartoon effect that also makes use of the depth of field info from the second camera.

cdaq

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
With the difference between the cameras being as big as it is, there's definitely a question.

Sent from my LG-D802 using AC Forums mobile app
This is kind of funny. If there's much difference at all in the cameras its certainly not big. Camera phone tech has come far enough that there are really no bad cameras anymore. One thing is true though, you WILL be able to get some shots with the M8 that you just can't with the S5. I'm talking low-light/moving subject.

lexfrancis

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Most of the reviews moan about the lack of megapixels which shows how little they know.
Seems to be fashionable more than informed to bash the M8 camera.

A lot do mention the megapixels, but the main basis on which most of them judge the camera is the quality of the pictures.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
And people are complaining about lag (once again) on the S5. Every single complaint I have heard about both phones are nitpicking and overblown.

I was impressed that a couple of sites doing the benchmarks for the S5 had to put it on an ice pack because the S5 overheats so badly that it will throttle its processor down. The M8 does not have this problem...

Source: http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-galaxy-s5/2/

It is under the performance section. The poor Galaxy S5 needs an ice pack up against it to run at full steam.

TouchWiz may lag because the phone has a hard time running at full speed because the processor is being throttled back to reduce the overheating.

joshwithachance

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
The M8 is the best Android phone on the market, bar none. The Note 3 is just as good but it falls into the phablet category, rather than smartphone. The S5 is just boring, and unimpressive. Sure, there's a heart rate monitor and fingerprint scanner, but they're more gimmicky than anything. The M8's new features (motion gestures, 25% louder & fuller speakers, Sense 6, Duo Camera, and 5 MP front facing camera) are all actually useful and enhance the experience of using the phone.

lexfrancis

May 25, 2013
Visit site
This is kind of funny. If there's much difference at all in the cameras its certainly not big. Camera phone tech has come far enough that there are really no bad cameras anymore. One thing is true though, you WILL be able to get some shots with the M8 that you just can't with the S5. I'm talking low-light/moving subject.

Right, the difference isn't really that big. I just mean it's relatively big, as far as flagship phones go. Big enough that you can be sure it will be the deal breaker for some people.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
The M8 is the best Android phone on the market, bar none. The Note 3 is just as good but it falls into the phablet category, rather than smartphone. The S5 is just boring, and unimpressive. Sure, there's a heart rate monitor and fingerprint scanner, but they're more gimmicky than anything. The M8's new features (motion gestures, 25% louder & fuller speakers, Sense 6, Duo Camera, and 5 MP front facing camera) are all actually useful and enhance the experience of using the phone.

The Note series pretty much invented the phablet phenomenon , and they do it well.

What's the definition of gimmicky? Everyone talks about all the gimmicks on the S5. How about the M8? Isn't knock on a gimmick? I mean you can't knock off, but you can knock on. Duo camera? Gimmick. Other phones and software have selective focus. Boom sound? Gimmick, it only makes the phone taller than it needs to be.

Now, I don't actually think any of those things are gimmicks on either phone, in fact I like them. They are features. Use them if you want, if not then don't. Anything other than making a call on a phone could be called a gimmick.

It saddens me that people can't see beyond their own use and personal tastes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams