04-19-2014 08:56 PM
102 ... 2345
tools
    Coming from years of iPhone I just can't stand the cheap plastic of s5 on a $600 device. It is one boring and cheap looking device to be held in your hands at all time.

Metal all the way for me. I find it funny most people who mock on HTC camera MP would hardly ever look at their photos outside of Facebook. LOL

HTC is one amazing phone. Loving it everyday. Just powerful and nothing you don't need. (Heart rate sensor, waterprold? LOL)
    04-18-2014 09:13 PM
    I am on the fence with these 2.... I have had the og htc evo, currently have the htc evo lte. both great phones. I was on the fence to try Samsung again....first android phone was the Samsung moment ( absolutely horrible phone) . really like the m8, and have heard about far less problems with it over the s5.
    now im hearing the usb door on the s5 breaks off after days, the camera lens breaks super easy, etc. etc etc...
    im about 90% ready to get the m8, but like everyone worry a little about the camera. I use cell cameras a lot.
    I really hope htc profits big on this phone as it seems lots are swapping their s5 out for it lately.
    may 1 I get to upgrade w/ sprint. I might be holding a shiney m8 by the end of the day !
    Do it!
    I upgraded from the EVO 4GLTE myself, and the M8 is so much better in every single way. If you're worried about the camera - don't. It's still a huge upgrade.
    stlrfan78 likes this.
    04-18-2014 09:28 PM
    May 1st. M8 here I come!

Posted via Android Central App
    04-18-2014 10:05 PM
    I bought a Galaxy S5 last Saturday and returned it for the HTC One M8 today. I keep my phones in a case, so I don't really care about the exterior styling and was only focused on "the guts" of the phone. I chose the GS5 first because of the "better" camera since most of the HTC One reviews were pretty rough on the ultrapixel camera. The GS5 is a fine phone, but there were far too many stutters and UI hitches for a flagship device. I tried using different launchers, but the performance just never felt right. It checks all the right boxes for me on paper, but something happened with the execution that I just didn't feel like living with (or waiting for a fix) - especially since I bought the phone outright.

I have only had the HTC for a few hours now, but the performance is significantly better and the build quality is top notch. Before the GS5, I was using an iPhone 5S and the HTC is the first phone that I think matches Apple on design. I am looking forward to putting it through it's paces over the next week.
    04-18-2014 10:53 PM
    I bought a Galaxy S5 last Saturday and returned it for the HTC One M8 today. I keep my phones in a case, so I don't really care about the exterior styling and was only focused on "the guts" of the phone. I chose the GS5 first because of the "better" camera since most of the HTC One reviews were pretty rough on the ultrapixel camera. The GS5 is a fine phone, but there were far too many stutters and UI hitches for a flagship device. I tried using different launchers, but the performance just never felt right. It checks all the right boxes for me on paper, but something happened with the execution that I just didn't feel like living with (or waiting for a fix) - especially since I bought the phone outright.

I have only had the HTC for a few hours now, but the performance is significantly better and the build quality is top notch. Before the GS5, I was using an iPhone 5S and the HTC is the first phone that I think matches Apple on design. I am looking forward to putting it through it's paces over the next week.
    Welcome to the HTC family! Glad you like your new phone, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Jefstead likes this.
    04-18-2014 11:08 PM
    This question reminds me of the opening of Donnie Brasco when the guys are arguing which is the better automobile, a Lincoln or a Cadillac. LOL
    04-18-2014 11:44 PM
    Which phone is better, GALAXY S5 or HTC ONE M8?

Yes.
    I think that covers it
    They are both great phones and you can't go wrong with either really.
    They do have different strengths and weaknesses like every phone.
    04-19-2014 02:28 AM
    Welcome to the HTC family! Glad you like your new phone, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I am trying to remember when I last had an HTC phone. It was probably a realllllly old "slider" that ran an ancient version of Windows Mobile. Gotta love the way technology has advanced
    04-19-2014 07:15 AM
    Right now, if I had to choose between the two, I would go with the M8. I like everything about it outside of the camera over the S5. You put the S5 camera on it and it is perfect.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    04-19-2014 07:48 AM
    They are both great phones. I've owned a few Galaxy models in the past and enjoyed them for the most part. The M8 just offers a better user experience in my opinion. Check out this video comparison of the UI performance.

04-19-2014 07:53 AM
    Thanks for the reasoning.
    I'll sell my M8 and buy an S5 now on your in-depth review!
    What do you want to her? Better camera, better battery life, less weight, replaceable battery, wireless charging, fingerscanner, brighter screen, most accurate colors on a smartphone ever, way easier to unlock and root, multi windowing, heart rate monitor, faster WiFi, download booster

VS

Better speakers
    04-19-2014 08:50 AM
    I also want a phone that does not LAG.... hence the video up top.
    04-19-2014 09:00 AM
    What do you want to her? Better camera, better battery life, less weight, replaceable battery, wireless charging, fingerscanner, brighter screen, most accurate colors on a smartphone ever, way easier to unlock and root, multi windowing, heart rate monitor, faster WiFi, download booster

VS

Better speakers
    You forgot the Metal. Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    04-19-2014 09:16 AM
    What do you want to her? Better camera, less weight, replaceable battery, wireless charging, fingerscanner, brighter screen, most accurate colors on a smartphone ever, multi windowing, heart rate monitor, faster WiFi, download booster

VS

The best speakers on any smartphone
    Easier to unlock and root
    Metal build
    Higher audio jack output voltage (better audio through headphones)
    Duo camera
    Better camera software
    Better battery life (reviews are wrong, check the forums here and you'll find that in real world usage, the m8 has slightly better battery life)
    Sense 6
    HTC advantage (free screen replacement in first six months of ownership, and 2 years of software updates)
    Fixed

If you're going to compare them, you can't be biased

karmamule, LCFC Tom and darkhan like this.
    04-19-2014 10:08 AM
    Fixed

Do it!
    I upgraded from the EVO 4GLTE myself, and the M8 is so much better in every single way. If you're worried about the camera - don't. It's still a huge upgrade.
    Coming from an EVO 4GLTE but not from an iPhone or any of the last 3 Galaxy devices or even most Windows phone cameras. It's fine but it's not good. It's a complete disappointment, IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    04-19-2014 02:12 PM
    Fixed

Forgot to add silly long looking, slippery, too heavy so when it slips out of your hand it breaks faster and bad camera that supposedly works great in the dark but bad during the day.....good for vampire?

04-19-2014 03:28 PM
    They are both great phones. I've owned a few Galaxy models in the past and enjoyed them for the most part. The M8 just offers a better user experience in my opinion. Check out this video comparison of the UI performance.

yep. can't argue with this! Very happy with my choice.
    04-19-2014 03:41 PM
    yep. can't argue with this! Very happy with my choice.
    Until you need a good picture

04-19-2014 03:45 PM
    Until you need a good picture

I already have. Took the picture I needed and moved on.
    Skyway and ffejjj like this.
    04-19-2014 03:49 PM

How can anyone cope waiting a millisecond long for a app to open

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    04-19-2014 04:40 PM

Has this been tested with ART on

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    04-19-2014 04:42 PM
    I just came from the ATT store where I was able to play with the S5 which honestly is a very nice phone.

I actually thought the S5 would be my next phone until I found out about the M8. Decided to look into the M8 since I did have a M7 at the time and loved what I saw.

I grabbed the M8 a day or two after its launched and have enjoyed it ever since. One can't go wrong with either or ...... it really amounts to preference so I'd suggest for anyone up in the air to go to the store and play with both and decide then ?!?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    karmamule likes this.
    04-19-2014 04:48 PM
    Forgot to add silly long looking, slippery, too heavy so when it slips out of your hand it breaks faster and bad camera that supposedly works great in the dark but bad during the day.....good for vampire?

As opposed to the crap plastic on the s5, ugly bandaid back cover, ridiculously gimmicky heartbeat sensor, horrible fingerprint scanner that won't work to unlock the phone one handed. I can play too

04-19-2014 05:29 PM
    I already have. Took the picture I needed and moved on.
    Probably while the S5 was still trying to focus.

Sorry couldn't resist
    James E1 likes this.
    04-19-2014 06:13 PM
    I was impressed that a couple of sites doing the benchmarks for the S5 had to put it on an ice pack because the S5 overheats so badly that it will throttle its processor down. The M8 does not have this problem...

Source: Samsung Galaxy S5 review - Page 2 - CNET

It is under the performance section. The poor Galaxy S5 needs an ice pack up against it to run at full steam.

TouchWiz may lag because the phone has a hard time running at full speed because the processor is being throttled back to reduce the overheating.

Galaxy s5 slows the phone when it heats like normal, the M8 still cheats and boosts CPU and turns down throttling for benchmark apps... Forgot that point
    04-19-2014 07:01 PM
102 ... 2345