Which phone is better, GALAXY S5 or HTC ONE M8?

Jeff Harris

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I am on the fence with these 2.... I have had the og htc evo, currently have the htc evo lte. both great phones. I was on the fence to try Samsung again....first android phone was the Samsung moment ( absolutely horrible phone) . really like the m8, and have heard about far less problems with it over the s5.
now im hearing the usb door on the s5 breaks off after days, the camera lens breaks super easy, etc. etc etc...
im about 90% ready to get the m8, but like everyone worry a little about the camera. I use cell cameras a lot.
I really hope htc profits big on this phone as it seems lots are swapping their s5 out for it lately.
may 1 I get to upgrade w/ sprint. I might be holding a shiney m8 by the end of the day !:cool:

adam13141

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Thats like saying if you want to go on the internet, use a tablet or a computer, because it gives you a better experience. Of course the camera on a phone isn't going to be as good as a regular camera, but the best camera is the one you have with you. I don't know how many great random pictures I have of my kids in situations where there is no reason for to have my camera with me. Everyone has different levels of importance on the different features of a phone, and for you its clear that the camera isn't that important, but that isn't the case for others who use their phones camera to take important pictures.

adam13141

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I just can't believe how a phone is so much better then another because of what someone says about the camera. I feel if you need that great of a picture then use a camera. I bought a phone not a camera. neither phones been out long enough for anyone to make judgement. Plus i feel unless you use both phones for a period of time you really don't know what heck you are talking about.

Thats like saying if you want to go on the internet, use a tablet or a computer, because it gives you a better experience. Of course the camera on a phone isn't going to be as good as a regular camera, but the best camera is the one you have with you. I don't know how many great random pictures I have of my kids in situations where there is no reason for to have my camera with me. Everyone has different levels of importance on the different features of a phone, and for you its clear that the camera isn't that important, but that isn't the case for others who use their phones camera to take important pictures.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Depends on how you use your phone. Assess your needs and proceed from there. I personally value smoothness of the OS over the camera as I don't take a lot of pics.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reasoning.
I'll sell my M8 and buy an S5 now on your in-depth review!

yve6eda6.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Because every phone has that built in or has a PC and photoshop... or even wants that bloatware on their PC.
The M8 has the effects built in can add the effects then upload to Face+ or whatever social media all within a few seconds of taking the picture - no Abode bloat required.
If you don't like ufocus effects, don't use them.
Simples.

Install it on your phone.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Don't need to, phone does the same thing quicker and in hardware.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

And I can skip the crappy 4mp resolution and just do it with software, while still enjoying the objective advantages of the higher resolution camera.

Ufocus is a dumb reason to buy that phone. Nokia phones have that same app, with the fast shutter, with OIS, with superb low light performance.

When the competition is out class in you in almost every other way, those things you people act like don't matter suddenly start to become true deficits.

That's the issue with this phone.

They added gimmicks, didn't fix the obvious issues, and even screwed the design somewhat.

The One was almost flawless but for that camera resolution, which they ignored in this one. The S4 needed better low light and a faster shutter with slightly better design and software. Samsung addressed all their obvious issues while HTC left theirs out to ferment.

That's frustrating to see as a consumer. It's as if they don't even care to sell a phone to you.

I was thinking about these phones but since Windows Phone 8.1 is addressing a lot of the issues I had with that platform I may mix it up and grab an Icon.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
And I can skip the crappy 4mp resolution and just do it with software, while still enjoying the objective advantages of the higher resolution camera.

Ufocus is a dumb reason to buy that phone. Nokia phones have that same app, with the fast shutter, with OIS, with superb low light performance.

When the competition is out class in you in almost every other way, those things you people act like don't matter suddenly start to become true deficits.

That's the issue with this phone.

They added gimmicks, didn't fix the obvious issues, and even screwed the design somewhat.

The One was almost flawless but for that camera resolution, which they ignored in this one. The S4 needed better low light and a faster shutter with slightly better design and software. Samsung addressed all their obvious issues while HTC left theirs out to ferment.

That's frustrating to see as a consumer. It's as if they don't even care to sell a phone to you.

I was thinking about these phones but since Windows Phone 8.1 is addressing a lot of the issues I had with that platform I may mix it up and grab an Icon.

4mp.... Again ...sigh... Really?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Lumia Icon is soooo thick. I played with one at a Verizon store and couldn't believe how much thicker it was compared to pretty much every smartphone on the market. The screen wasn't that big and with the added bulkiness it seemed like a horrible phone to handle daily. All my opinions, obviously

sent from my HTC One M8

cdaq

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes, Really.

Eh, we need ignorant consumers too. The only time more pixels are needed is when a crop is necessary or a large print. I can count on no fingers how many times I've needed to do in the last year with a phone picture. If you often need to highly crop your pics then this phone is not for you.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree, But some will say how this phone is the best and blows all others away only because they read a review or 2.

CY07

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Coming from years of iPhone I just can't stand the cheap plastic of s5 on a $600 device. It is one boring and cheap looking device to be held in your hands at all time.

Metal all the way for me. I find it funny most people who mock on HTC camera MP would hardly ever look at their photos outside of Facebook. LOL

HTC is one amazing phone. Loving it everyday. Just powerful and nothing you don't need. (Heart rate sensor, waterprold? LOL)

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I am on the fence with these 2.... I have had the og htc evo, currently have the htc evo lte. both great phones. I was on the fence to try Samsung again....first android phone was the Samsung moment ( absolutely horrible phone) . really like the m8, and have heard about far less problems with it over the s5.
now im hearing the usb door on the s5 breaks off after days, the camera lens breaks super easy, etc. etc etc...
im about 90% ready to get the m8, but like everyone worry a little about the camera. I use cell cameras a lot.
I really hope htc profits big on this phone as it seems lots are swapping their s5 out for it lately.
may 1 I get to upgrade w/ sprint. I might be holding a shiney m8 by the end of the day !:cool:

Do it!
I upgraded from the EVO 4GLTE myself, and the M8 is so much better in every single way. If you're worried about the camera - don't. It's still a huge upgrade.

Jefstead

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Galaxy S5 last Saturday and returned it for the HTC One M8 today. I keep my phones in a case, so I don't really care about the exterior styling and was only focused on "the guts" of the phone. I chose the GS5 first because of the "better" camera since most of the HTC One reviews were pretty rough on the ultrapixel camera. The GS5 is a fine phone, but there were far too many stutters and UI hitches for a flagship device. I tried using different launchers, but the performance just never felt right. It checks all the right boxes for me on paper, but something happened with the execution that I just didn't feel like living with (or waiting for a fix) - especially since I bought the phone outright.

I have only had the HTC for a few hours now, but the performance is significantly better and the build quality is top notch. Before the GS5, I was using an iPhone 5S and the HTC is the first phone that I think matches Apple on design. I am looking forward to putting it through it's paces over the next week.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I bought a Galaxy S5 last Saturday and returned it for the HTC One M8 today. I keep my phones in a case, so I don't really care about the exterior styling and was only focused on "the guts" of the phone. I chose the GS5 first because of the "better" camera since most of the HTC One reviews were pretty rough on the ultrapixel camera. The GS5 is a fine phone, but there were far too many stutters and UI hitches for a flagship device. I tried using different launchers, but the performance just never felt right. It checks all the right boxes for me on paper, but something happened with the execution that I just didn't feel like living with (or waiting for a fix) - especially since I bought the phone outright.

I have only had the HTC for a few hours now, but the performance is significantly better and the build quality is top notch. Before the GS5, I was using an iPhone 5S and the HTC is the first phone that I think matches Apple on design. I am looking forward to putting it through it's paces over the next week.

Welcome to the HTC family! Glad you like your new phone, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer