Which phone is better, GALAXY S5 or HTC ONE M8?

imnraged

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
This question reminds me of the opening of Donnie Brasco when the guys are arguing which is the better automobile, a Lincoln or a Cadillac. LOL

Jefstead

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the HTC family! Glad you like your new phone, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Posted via Android Central App

I am trying to remember when I last had an HTC phone. It was probably a realllllly old "slider" that ran an ancient version of Windows Mobile. Gotta love the way technology has advanced :)

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Right now, if I had to choose between the two, I would go with the M8. I like everything about it outside of the camera over the S5. You put the S5 camera on it and it is perfect.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

MasterElwood

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reasoning.
I'll sell my M8 and buy an S5 now on your in-depth review!

What do you want to her? Better camera, better battery life, less weight, replaceable battery, wireless charging, fingerscanner, brighter screen, most accurate colors on a smartphone ever, way easier to unlock and root, multi windowing, heart rate monitor, faster WiFi, download booster

VS

Better speakers

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
What do you want to her? Better camera, better battery life, less weight, replaceable battery, wireless charging, fingerscanner, brighter screen, most accurate colors on a smartphone ever, way easier to unlock and root, multi windowing, heart rate monitor, faster WiFi, download booster

VS

Better speakers
You forgot the Metal. Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
What do you want to her? Better camera, less weight, replaceable battery, wireless charging, fingerscanner, brighter screen, most accurate colors on a smartphone ever, multi windowing, heart rate monitor, faster WiFi, download booster

VS

The best speakers on any smartphone
Easier to unlock and root
Metal build
Higher audio jack output voltage (better audio through headphones)
Duo camera
Better camera software
Better battery life (reviews are wrong, check the forums here and you'll find that in real world usage, the m8 has slightly better battery life)
Sense 6
HTC advantage (free screen replacement in first six months of ownership, and 2 years of software updates)

Fixed

If you're going to compare them, you can't be biased

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Fixed

Do it!
I upgraded from the EVO 4GLTE myself, and the M8 is so much better in every single way. If you're worried about the camera - don't. It's still a huge upgrade.

Coming from an EVO 4GLTE but not from an iPhone or any of the last 3 Galaxy devices or even most Windows phone cameras. It's fine but it's not good. It's a complete disappointment, IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Fixed

Forgot to add silly long looking, slippery, too heavy so when it slips out of your hand it breaks faster and bad camera that supposedly works great in the dark but bad during the day.....good for vampire?

omgitsjoe

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I just came from the ATT store where I was able to play with the S5 which honestly is a very nice phone.

I actually thought the S5 would be my next phone until I found out about the M8. Decided to look into the M8 since I did have a M7 at the time and loved what I saw.

I grabbed the M8 a day or two after its launched and have enjoyed it ever since. One can't go wrong with either or ...... it really amounts to preference so I'd suggest for anyone up in the air to go to the store and play with both and decide then ?!?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Forgot to add silly long looking, slippery, too heavy so when it slips out of your hand it breaks faster and bad camera that supposedly works great in the dark but bad during the day.....good for vampire?

As opposed to the crap plastic on the s5, ugly bandaid back cover, ridiculously gimmicky heartbeat sensor, horrible fingerprint scanner that won't work to unlock the phone one handed. I can play too ;)

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I was impressed that a couple of sites doing the benchmarks for the S5 had to put it on an ice pack because the S5 overheats so badly that it will throttle its processor down. The M8 does not have this problem...

Source: Samsung Galaxy S5 review - Page 2 - CNET

It is under the performance section. The poor Galaxy S5 needs an ice pack up against it to run at full steam.

TouchWiz may lag because the phone has a hard time running at full speed because the processor is being throttled back to reduce the overheating.

Galaxy s5 slows the phone when it heats like normal, the M8 still cheats and boosts CPU and turns down throttling for benchmark apps... Forgot that point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC