Settings / tips / tricks for washed out background

hdradaza

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
The only thing bugging me is the washed out pics when background sky is bright.

Anyone have any settings that work? Or tips?

Ive tried HDR, ISO at different levels, exposure but still washing out. Share your tricks!

Posted via Android Central App

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
This has been covered a lot in the two camera sticky threads. Touch various areas of the screen to let the cam re-focus/re-calculate. You'll find that there is a wide range, depending of what you have it balance itself to (subject-wise). For example, your subject is wearing a white shirt and has black hair. If it's balancing on the white shirt and underexposing everything else, tap the hair to get it to open the exposure more. Additionally, some like to use HDR so that everything evens out. I prefer to have greater contrast.

hdradaza

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes ive read that thread too. Tapping on different parts of screen, HDR, etc is not getting the job done. Still washed out. Specially beach setting where we are in shaded area with beach as background. Purely white background

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
In bright light, you need to tap on a bright portion of the screen so the camera sets things based on that amount of light. This can sometimes cause your actual subject to darken somewhat, but that is fixable via editing afterwards, whereas a light blowout situation is pretty much screwed. This seems to be due to SO much light coming in to the sensor, and the flip side to taking indoor pics so nicely. Thus far, I have been able to compensate by forcing the camera to gauge light on a bright section. Sun on sand for example, instead of the faces of your subject. Even tapping the sky itself can be good enough depending on the pic.

svencux

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
i am using the following settings and feel pretty happy with the results.
- almost always have ISO set to 200
- set cloudy conditions
- set the focus between a bright area in the sky and a darker area (to do so you need to switch off take picture when touching the screen)

hdradaza

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Still washed out... Any other camera apps that might handle this?

How bout others? I thought everyone was having washed put pics..... Any suggestions?

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Still washed out... Any other camera apps that might handle this?

How bout others? I thought everyone was having washed put pics..... Any suggestions?

Post some photos. Based on what I'm seeing in the photo thread, not many are having this problem. If we can see what you're struggling with by viewing your photos, we can help you much better.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm actually suprised how quickly the phone adjusts exposure and white balance.
My young son was running backwards and forwards in front of me and the camera was going crazy trying to balance because of his white top.
Auto may be quick but unless you are sorting perfect lighting you'll be better off with manual spot balance not auto centre.
Even then there are limits to what the camera can do with a large sensor and lots of light.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Post some photos. Based on what I'm seeing in the photo thread, not many are having this problem. If we can see what you're struggling with by viewing your photos, we can help you much better.

+1000

I can't give you any tips if I don't have some examples.