Double Tap to Lock Screen

TJGEsq

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Just thought some of you may appreciate this app named Knock Lock. It lets you double tap to lock the screen from anywhere, not just the home screen.

I mentioned it in a different thread, but thought it was useful enough to justify it's own thread.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Nice, good find. The app I use is called Screen Off and Lock. It allows me to swipe up from the home button, like you would to get to Google Now, and lock the screen. I don't use Google Now so when you install the app and swipe up, it will ask you if you want to use Google Now or Screen Off and Lock (always or just once, like a launcher). I don't even touch my power button anymore

Posted via Android Central App

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I just tested this app and there's one MAJOR flaw. The area you set to be able to lock the device, is completely unusable. If you position the red box over your app drawer icon, for example, you can't get into your app drawer. Nice idea but the implementation is a little flawed if you ask me

TJGEsq

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Skyway: You're correct, but I suspect there's no other way to implement it. How would the phone distinguish between a double tap to lock and a tap to open something on the screen unless one possibility is neutralized? Even on the LG, which has this natively, it only works on the status bar.

So I don't view it as a flaw. I just figure you need to put the box somewhere like the status bar (mine is over the clock).

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Skyway: You're correct, but I suspect there's no other way to implement it. How would the phone distinguish between a double tap to lock and a tap to open something on the screen unless one possibility is neutralized? Even on the LG, which has this natively, it only works on the status bar.

So I don't view it as a flaw. I just figure you need to put the box somewhere like the status bar (mine is over the clock).

You're right, I guess you couldn't really implement a double tap wake up like that. I didn't think of it like that.

You could do something else like a double tap home button, or like I do with the swipe up from the home button. I wish HTC would have figured out a way to turn the screen off with a gesture though, I feel like they could have. If a third party app can do it, surely HTC could have right?

TJGEsq

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I agree. It was an oversight.

As an aside, I like the idea of swiping the home button up. I'm just not sure that I want to give up that method of reaching Google Now. I'll give it a try, though.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree. It was an oversight.

As an aside, I like the idea of swiping the home button up. I'm just not sure that I want to give up that method of reaching Google Now. I'll give it a try, though.

Yea that's the only downside, you lose Google Now. I never used it so for me it was an easy and welcome addition.

TJGEsq

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Well, I like the simplicity of using Screen Off and Lock better than Knock Lock, but I don't like losing the same method of getting to Google Now. However, I found an app that provides the best of both worlds: Home Launcher

It lets the user choose what to launch when swiping up.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, I like the simplicity of using Screen Off and Lock better than Knock Lock, but I don't like losing the same method of getting to Google Now. However, I found an app that provides the best of both worlds: Home Launcher

It lets the user choose what to launch when swiping up.

I can't seem to find it on the play store?

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Found it, I think. Home button launcher, and there's another one called slide launcher

TJGEsq

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
You're right. It's "Home Button Launcher." I wrote it wrong because when it's installed, it just says "Home Launcher."

I'm enjoying using it. I have four apps in there: A flashlight, the camera, Google Now, and Screen Off and Lock.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
The app is called Screen Off and Lock.

Awesome app! I've replaced Google Now with this and now the swipe up from home button gesture activates Screen Off and Lock to turn off my screen.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Ha, if you're going to reach up that far you may as well hit the power button!

TJGEsq

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Ha, if you're going to reach up that far you may as well hit the power button!

It's uncomfortable for me to use my index finger on my right hand to reach the power button. It is not, however, uncomfortable for me to double tap the clock with my thumb. Accordingly, I'll have to disagree with you.

That said, Screen Off and Lock is even easier.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800