HTC M8: Are your metal speaker covers wavy/bent?

cmilviper

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I noticed when looking at my phone at an angle... that the metal speaker covers at both ends, are wavy, and not straight like the glass.

Are yours like this?...Is this normal

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I noticed when looking at my phone at an angle... that the metal speaker covers at both ends, are wavy, and not straight like the glass.

Are yours like this?...Is this normal
Don't have the M8 yet but could you post a picture so when I get mine I will know what to look for.

cmilviper

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I can barely feel it in one area.....When looking at it normally, it looks perfect.

From an angle, especially in a well lit room, with the light reflecting off of the metal at an angle.....it's very easy for me to see the wavy metal.

I'll try to upload a pic...thanks guys.

clborden

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Mine is like that on the top right hand side of the screen, right by the camera. The plate is lifting slightly. I called HTC and they're sending me a new one...after some BS on the phone with customer service. I have always heard great things about their customer svc so I was pretty shocked. Could've just been lucky with the reps I spoke with.

boot loops

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue in the upper right hand corner, to the right of the camera. It came like that out if the box.

Sent from my 831C using AC Forums mobile app

TriBeard92

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
On my first unit, the bottom was like that. The second one though, is flat. I had some dust under the screen as well, which is why I swapped

Posted via Android Central App

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I believe the speaker grills are plastic. They don't get cold like the rest of the phone.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
That's interesting. Considering another user has also seen this perhaps it's just a production thing? At first I thought it could have been due to hitting another object, such as being in the front pant pocket and coming into contact with a corner or other object (just a thought).

RickB68

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed on the bottom speaker grill on mine a little waviness... however, I have to move it back and forth in the light to "see" it and I think it may just be an optical illusion. When I run my finger over it, it feels flat.

cmilviper

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed on the bottom speaker grill on mine a little waviness... however, I have to move it back and forth in the light to "see" it and I think it may just be an optical illusion. When I run my finger over it, it feels flat.

Yeah, that is how my bottom one is...Wavy in the right light when viewing at an angle....I can also feel mine a little with the finger going over it.

Since they are plastic, and since this is the only issue I have with the phone, I am ok.

I did see a M8 Tear-down video on Youtube. They removed the plastic speaker covers pretty easily. I figure when parts become widely available in the near future, that if it bothers me enough, I can replace them myself with replacement parts.

RickB68

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that is how my bottom one is...Wavy in the right light when viewing at an angle....I can also feel mine a little with the finger going over it.

Since they are plastic, and since this is the only issue I have with the phone, I am ok.

I did see a M8 Tear-down video on Youtube. They removed the plastic speaker covers pretty easily. I figure when parts become widely available in the near future, that if it bothers me enough, I can replace them myself with replacement parts.

I went ahead and looked at the bottom grill with a magnifying glass and a flashlight. Felt kind of silly, but it looks flat. No bend or curve in the plastic.

aramos87

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
IMO, it's just an optical illusion. ;)

I agree, mine is like that but only when in the right light, feels completely flat and flush with the screen though. Went to an AT&T store and both display models looked the exact same in the right light, but also felt flat.

TriBeard92

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Mine wasn't an optical illusion. If you ran your finger over it, you could feel a little bit of wave to it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2