04-23-2014 09:14 AM
90 1234
tools
    Apple & Samsung will always/continue to dominate. This is why I think hTc didn't bother spending more for the Camera.

I can't remember where I heard but the S5 already broke early sales record the S4 had.
    Actually not that long ago, HTC was king and Samsung was the underdog, at least in the android world. HTC also created the first android phone.

Posted via Android Central App
    coronaboy10 likes this.
    04-21-2014 04:34 PM
    People buy Samsung for the name. Can't argue sense anymore because it is technically less intrusive to stock android than touchwiz.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    I disagree. I bought the S5 because what it offered VS the HTC One M8 was better for me. I do new construction/remodel plumbing and a ton of tankless heater installs/repairs. I am around water just about everyday on the job. I FINALLY get to get rid of this ridiculously large and bulky lifeproof case and can go back to wearing my phone on my belt holster without being in fear that some water is going to take it out. I don't feel that the camera on the M8 is all that poor but if I have the opportunity to have a better camera on a phone that is also water resistant, I am going to go with that. For warranty purposes on certain items I service, I have to take detailed photos and send them to the manufacture and I would prefer those to be as crisp as possible while on the jobsite. The phone has worked great, is speedy and does everything that I need it to do. I took a look at the M8 on release date but felt that the elongated face was just more phone/screen ratio than I wanted and knowing what the S5 offered.

Simply buying for the name? Nah, I don't think so.
    04-21-2014 04:55 PM
    I disagree. I bought the S5 because what it offered VS the HTC One M8 was better for me. I do new construction/remodel plumbing and a ton of tankless heater installs/repairs. I am around water just about everyday on the job. I FINALLY get to get rid of this ridiculously large and bulky lifeproof case and can go back to wearing my phone on my belt holster without being in fear that some water is going to take it out. I don't feel that the camera on the M8 is all that poor but if I have the opportunity to have a better camera on a phone that is also water resistant, I am going to go with that. For warranty purposes on certain items I service, I have to take detailed photos and send them to the manufacture and I would prefer those to be as crisp as possible while on the jobsite. The phone has worked great, is speedy and does everything that I need it to do. I took a look at the M8 on release date but felt that the elongated face was just more phone/screen ratio than I wanted and knowing what the S5 offered.

Simply buying for the name? Nah, I don't think so.
    I've been wondering what the real-world use-case is for waterproofing (beyond novelty), and you nailed it.
    04-21-2014 05:10 PM
    Apple & Samsung will always/continue to dominate. This is why I think hTc didn't bother spending more for the Camera.

I can't remember where I heard but the S5 already broke early sales record the S4 had.
    If they were spending less on a camera they wouldn't have put so much into developing the duo cam system, 2 flashes, and putting a 5 mp selfie cam. They spent a lot more on their cam, though not everyone has taken the time to understand the benefits, nor has HTC done a good job at explaining them.
    04-21-2014 05:13 PM
    If they were spending less on a camera they wouldn't have put so much into developing the duo cam system, 2 flashes, and putting a 5 mp selfie cam. They spent a lot more on their cam, though not everyone has taken the time to understand the benefits, nor has HTC done a good job at explaining them.
    I like the comment... I'm just hoping it don't push this thread into another camera thread.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    04-21-2014 06:08 PM
    I like the comment... I'm just hoping it don't push this thread into another camera thread.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Haha, exactly what I was thinking.. I think that dead horse has been beaten to oblivion.. lol
    04-21-2014 06:12 PM
    Except the dual flash is nothing new, a 5MP 'selfie' cam is neat, but again, nothing new or technically radical, and the dual lens system, well, let's just say they could have invested a bit more time on it before releasing it. And by the way, Lytro made this kind of photography 'popular', not HTC.
    04-22-2014 07:57 AM
    Except the dual flash is nothing new, a 5MP 'selfie' cam is neat, but again, nothing new or technically radical, and the dual lens system, well, let's just say they could have invested a bit more time on it before releasing it. And by the way, Lytro made this kind of photography 'popular', not HTC.
    Don't think he ever said HTC made this popular. He just said they DID spend a lot of time developing it for their device. And they did. And it shows.
    04-22-2014 09:21 AM
    Actually not that long ago, HTC was king and Samsung was the underdog, at least in the android world. HTC also created the first android phone.

Correct even as late as 2010, HTC sold more Android phones than Samsung.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    04-22-2014 09:49 AM
    I didn't imply Samsung is low quality, I'm talking about a comparison between the Ones and Galaxys. They are both recognized as high end devices with great features. It all comes down to what I said in the last post, IMO of course.

If HTC made TV's, refrigerators, etc...you could see a much closer competition in the phone sale battle because people would feel more comfortable with purchasing a brand they know. Unfortunately it takes word of mouth for the most part to get the M8 sold and it's not wholly their fault. I actually commend them for deciding to take on Apple, Samsung and LG in the phone market.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I would think of 'DROID' :P
    LG sells tvs and refrigerators and others, but the name recognition hasn't really helped them.

Skyway and cizzlen like this.
    04-22-2014 09:51 AM
    LG sells tvs and refrigerators and others, but the name recognition hasn't really helped them.

Also the same thing could be said about Sony. They make the almighty PlayStation, tons of cameras, tv's, headphones and speakers, computers, etc.

coronaboy10 likes this.
    04-22-2014 10:07 AM
    Name recognition makes a difference when one company has a big name and enters an industry where another company has no name entering in the same industry.

But a big name within an industry would mean more than a big name with no products in the industry. Apple doesn't make refrigerators and the like but they are a big name because of their reputation within the industry.

04-22-2014 10:44 AM

And Nokia dominated for awhile in the past and we know how they are now :P.

Either way first doesn't mean much. He is talking about the current market.. Samsung does pretty much own it since they have cash from the sales and other departments.

HTC is trying and they do make a sexy looking phone.. That's for sure .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    04-22-2014 10:45 AM
    This is very very sad. HTC makes fantastic phone. Samsung...not so much. Yet, because they spent hundreds of millions flooding the market with advertising folks will buy it "just because". Pathetic...
    04-22-2014 10:49 AM
    And Nokia was the pioneer or cell phones and we know how they are now :P.

Either way first doesn't mean much. He is talking about the current market.. Samsung does pretty much own it since they have cash from the sales and other departments.

HTC is trying and they do make a sexy looking phone.. That's for sure .

I think HTC is doing more than trying, they are knocking it out of the park. Higher sales don't necessarily mean it's a better device, if that was the case then Miley Cyrus (or whatever popular music you young kids listen to) would be the best musician on the planet.

coronaboy10 likes this.
    04-22-2014 10:50 AM
    This is very very sad. HTC makes fantastic phone. Samsung...not so much. Yet, because they spent hundreds of millions flooding the market with advertising folks will buy it "just because". Pathetic...
    A lot like popular music, just because it sells more doesn't mean it's better. There are obviously a lot of people with bad taste, or people who really don't care.

04-22-2014 10:51 AM
    I think HTC is doing more than trying, they are knocking it out of the park. Higher sales don't necessarily mean it's a better device, if that was the case then Miley Cyrus (or whatever popular music you young kids listen to) would be the best musician on the planet.

I didn't say better device did I? .

04-22-2014 10:53 AM
    A lot like popular music, just because it sells more doesn't mean it's better. There are obviously a lot of people with bad taste, or people who really don't care.

Bad taste in your opinion.. Just because they may not share your opinion doesn't mean they are wrong with their choice. I like the Note 3 for two main reasons.. Screen size and I like swapping my batteries so I'm always mobile... But that's my needs and not everyone needs that so those factors may be pointless to them... Doesn't make them wrong they just have a different opinion and different needs for their phone.

I did have the M7 and loved it. I would like an M8 as well. I love most phones.. Just the Note has my heart right now .

04-22-2014 10:58 AM

What an objective comment

/sarcasm

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    04-22-2014 11:14 AM
    What an objective comment

/sarcasm

I was referring to popular music, not phones. I am a musician and these "artists" today are not very good, musically speaking that is.

04-22-2014 11:54 AM
    I was referring to popular music, not phones. I am a musician and these "artists" today are not very good, musically speaking that is.

Music is subjective

04-22-2014 11:55 AM
    I personally don't like the UI and gimmick features on the S series. Since I got the M7 last year, I will keep buying HTC phones in the years to come as they really pay attention to what consumers want.
    04-22-2014 12:25 PM
    I personally don't like the UI and gimmick features on the S series. Since I got the M7 last year, I will keep buying HTC phones in the years to come as they really pay attention to what consumers want.
    What do consumers want in your opinion?

Sent from my Apple iPad Air using Tapatalk
    04-22-2014 01:06 PM
    What do consumers want in your opinion?

Sent from my Apple iPad Air using Tapatalk
    “None. It’s not the consumers’ job to know what they want.” -- Steve Jobs responding to whether he did market research for the iPad
    04-22-2014 01:09 PM
    I didn't imply Samsung is low quality, I'm talking about a comparison between the Ones and Galaxys. They are both recognized as high end devices with great features. It all comes down to what I said in the last post, IMO of course.

If HTC made TV's, refrigerators, etc...you could see a much closer competition in the phone sale battle because people would feel more comfortable with purchasing a brand they know. Unfortunately it takes word of mouth for the most part to get the M8 sold and it's not wholly their fault. I actually commend them for deciding to take on Apple, Samsung and LG in the phone market.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I would think of 'DROID' :P
    100% agree and most people I know also think of droid

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    ugxvibe likes this.
    04-22-2014 01:17 PM
90 1234