Previous HTC One was outsold four times over by Galaxy S4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobbyRob

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

People buy Samsung for the name. Can't argue sense anymore because it is technically less intrusive to stock android than touchwiz.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Since the GS5 outsold the GS4, yup... you can expect the same or even more. After all, the new HTC One does seem to be doing a little better than the One did. No matter what the reviews say (or said), they still haven't been able to translate into actual sales, and THAT'S what's hurting poor underdog HTC.

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

People buy Samsung for the name. Can't argue sense anymore because it is technically less intrusive to stock android than touchwiz.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Agreed. They will of course outsell HTC again. It's a no brainer when you have David vs. Goliath in terms of monetary availability. It's not because of better quality but because of name recognition and dollars spend on advertising.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Agreed. They will of course outsell HTC again. It's a no brainer when you have David vs. Goliath in terms of monetary availability. It's not because of better quality but because of name recognition and dollars spend on advertising.

Could be both, you can't sell millions of dollars worth of a low quality product no matter how you market it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Samsung outsold HTC four times last year: HTC One sales revealed at 5 million within 2 months, while Galaxy S4 got 20 million

Pretty ridiculous, do you guys think we will see the same thing this time around?

I do. Samsung has pumped out tons of phones in the last few years. They've made their name some what synonymous with android. That and you can't argue that they make a good phone's

For me i like htc more but that doesn't mean i have to hate Sammy too like htc. Htc and LG put out fantastic phones but i think Samsung is what the majority thinks of when they consider android. .02$

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

Probably. Like many of you have said, Samsung is the king of android right now. When people think of an android device, the galaxy series is probably the first thing that comes to their mind.

Posted via Android Central App

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

Samsung outsold HTC four times last year: HTC One sales revealed at 5 million within 2 months, while Galaxy S4 got 20 million

Pretty ridiculous, do you guys think we will see the same thing this time around?

Nope. THis time the HTC M8 has a microSD slot.
That is the only reason I got an S4.
HTC M8 has microSD this time. Not even considering an S5.
If the LG G3 has microSD, then it will also be on the map for me.

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

Could be both, you can't sell millions of dollars worth of a low quality product no matter how you market it.

I didn't imply Samsung is low quality, I'm talking about a comparison between the Ones and Galaxys. They are both recognized as high end devices with great features. It all comes down to what I said in the last post, IMO of course.

If HTC made TV's, refrigerators, etc...you could see a much closer competition in the phone sale battle because people would feel more comfortable with purchasing a brand they know. Unfortunately it takes word of mouth for the most part to get the M8 sold and it's not wholly their fault. I actually commend them for deciding to take on Apple, Samsung and LG in the phone market.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably. Like many of you have said, Samsung is the king of android right now. When people think of an android device, the galaxy series is probably the first thing that comes to their mind.

Actually I would think of 'DROID' :p

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

I didn't imply Samsung is low quality, I'm talking about a comparison between the Ones and Galaxys. They are both recognized as high end devices with great features. It all comes down to what I said in the last post, IMO of course.

If HTC made TV's, refrigerators, etc...you could see a much closer competition in the phone sale battle because people would feel more comfortable with purchasing a brand they know. Unfortunately it takes word of mouth for the most part to get the M8 sold and it's not wholly their fault. I actually commend them for deciding to take on Apple, Samsung and LG in the phone market.

- - - Updated - - -

I hate that word sooooooooo much, because some people call every Android a Droid when Droid is a brand of Android, lol

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

That's a pretty good point. First, Samsung DOESN'T make bad phones, even if they're 'plastic', they're not bad phones. They're great (I've stuck to the Galaxy line for 4 phones now) but that doesn't mean that HTC's isn't great or the other way around. But Samsung, besides the gazillion dollars it can spend on Marketing, has another trick up its sleeve: cross-device compatibility.

Why do iGuys have iEverything on their gadget list? Because they work well together. If I own a Samsung TV, BluRay player, and Sound System, I'm more likely to stick to the brand when I get a new phone (same thing goes for the reverse... that's why I chose Samsung for my SmartTV over another brand, because I already had an S4). Same thing with tablets. I chose a Galaxy Note tablet because of what I already own from Samsung (that and the fact that it IS the best tablet available, even with the aging Nexus 10 available).

Brand recognition goes a long way, but like some else said, this recognition doesn't come from crappy phones. They make great devices (even if you choose to 'hate' Sammy, they do). HTC makes great devices, too, but their past is too heavy on them and stellar reviews do not translate into stellar sales.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

Again, it's just marketing power. If you think quality dictates sales, take a look at the boxoffice rankings. Personally, I like owning the "cool" phone that fewer people know about. Over the last couple years I've had several Samsung flagship owners tell me they wish their phone could do some things the way my One does and they've taken a genuine interest in the phone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Again, it's just marketing power. If you think quality dictates sales, take a look at the boxoffice rankings. Personally, I like owning the "cool" phone that fewer people know about. Over the last couple years I've had several Samsung flagship owners tell me they wish their phone could do some things the way my One does and they've taken a genuine interest in the phone.
I'm completely the opposite. I tried the One before getting the Note 3 and absolutely felt appalled by the on-screen buttons and crappy camera. This time around, even though I'm not uber-impressed by the S5, the same goes for the New One, except the crappy camera is back, with dual lenses to make things more head-scratching. Plus, the S5 is waterproof. Still, I'm waiting to see how the Note 4 turns out and even what Apple comes out with (the latter hasn't impressed me AT ALL since the original iPhone, though) before I make a decision for my next phone.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

I'm completely the opposite. I tried the One before getting the Note 3 and absolutely felt appalled by the on-screen buttons and crappy camera. This time around, even though I'm not uber-impressed by the S5, the same goes for the New One, except the crappy camera is back, with dual lenses to make things more head-scratching. Plus, the S5 is waterproof. Still, I'm waiting to see how the Note 4 turns out and even what Apple comes out with (the latter hasn't impressed me AT ALL since the original iPhone, though) before I make a decision for my next phone.
To each is own. I partially bought it for the camera and it can do a lot of things the S5 cam can't. I never had a problem understanding what the dual lenses were about. I don't swim w/ my phone so the high water resistance of the M8 is more than I'll ever need. The S5 was unacceptably laggy for me so my preference is obvious.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Just to clarify, I DID understand what the dual lenses were about ??' What I meant is that even with the dual lenses, the pictures came out (again, like you say, to my taste) so crappy when compared to a Note 3, an S5, an iPhone 5S, and a Nokia can'trememberthefrigginnumber. And to avoid the 'but this is a 4MP camera, you can't compare it to higher ones' remark, I set the resolution on all phones to the lowest possible setting (I seldom use the full resolution anyway, so that didn't put me off). But just the same, even though the iPhone has an exceptionally good camera, I wouldn't get one because I get so frustrated by the software and the single-button operation.

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

I wonder if Samsung will switch all their devices to their Tizen OS soon. Might be a huge mistake if they do.

But yeah, why should anyone be surprised about this? Samsung is a marketing powerhouse and now has a name people know and trust. They are the Apple of Androids.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

Although I would love for HTC phones to sell better, I have to admit I love having a phone that not everyone else can say they have.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Are you saying you tried last year's One? The m7 didn't have on screen buttons, it had two capacitive buttons. Only the new m8 has on screen buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis