Previous HTC One was outsold four times over by Galaxy S4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Previous HTC one was outsold four times over by Gs4

Just to clarify, I DID understand what the dual lenses were about ??' What I meant is that even with the dual lenses, the pictures came out (again, like you say, to my taste) so crappy when compared to a Note 3, an S5, an iPhone 5S, and a Nokia can'trememberthefrigginnumber. And to avoid the 'but this is a 4MP camera, you can't compare it to higher ones' remark, I set the resolution on all phones to the lowest possible setting (I seldom use the full resolution anyway, so that didn't put me off). But just the same, even though the iPhone has an exceptionally good camera, I wouldn't get one because I get so frustrated by the software and the single-button operation.

You set the resolution to the lowest setting on each phone and then compared the picture quality? Wouldn't you want to do the exact opposite?

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

You set the resolution to the lowest setting on each phone and then compared the picture quality? Wouldn't you want to do the exact opposite?

Not if I want to be truly fair. I've seen the reviews comparing 13MP shots with the 4MP of the M8 and keep thinking: well, of course they're gonna turn out 'worse' if you're comparing a newspaper ad to a Times Square billboard. So, I set the higher ones to the lowest resolution to have a more similar base of comparison (the Note 3, for instance, has a lowest setting of 6MP, so even then it's not quite the same). Again, I seldom shoot with the highest resolution on my phone just because it can handle it; I use a reasonable setting for what I'll be using the pictures for, and usually 4-6MP works fine for me.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Are you saying you tried last year's One? The m7 didn't have on screen buttons, it had two capacitive buttons. Only the new m8 has on screen buttons

My bad, you're right, M7 I hated capacitive buttons (and the HTC Black Bar). I'm a fan of the Home Button hehe, sorry, can't help it. And the M8 (and pretty much everything Android nowadays) have onscreen buttons, which I totally loathe. Screen real estate wasted IMHO. (Yeah, yeah, I know, 'Immersive mode' in KitKat... crap! You wouldn't need that with proper buttons).

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

Apple & Samsung will always/continue to dominate. This is why I think hTc didn't bother spending more for the Camera.

I can't remember where I heard but the S5 already broke early sales record the S4 had.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Apple & Samsung will always/continue to dominate. This is why I think hTc didn't bother spending more for the Camera.

I can't remember where I heard but the S5 already broke early sales record the S4 had.

Actually not that long ago, HTC was king and Samsung was the underdog, at least in the android world. HTC also created the first android phone.

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site

People buy Samsung for the name. Can't argue sense anymore because it is technically less intrusive to stock android than touchwiz.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I disagree. I bought the S5 because what it offered VS the HTC One M8 was better for me. I do new construction/remodel plumbing and a ton of tankless heater installs/repairs. I am around water just about everyday on the job. I FINALLY get to get rid of this ridiculously large and bulky lifeproof case and can go back to wearing my phone on my belt holster without being in fear that some water is going to take it out. I don't feel that the camera on the M8 is all that poor but if I have the opportunity to have a better camera on a phone that is also water resistant, I am going to go with that. For warranty purposes on certain items I service, I have to take detailed photos and send them to the manufacture and I would prefer those to be as crisp as possible while on the jobsite. The phone has worked great, is speedy and does everything that I need it to do. I took a look at the M8 on release date but felt that the elongated face was just more phone/screen ratio than I wanted and knowing what the S5 offered.

Simply buying for the name? Nah, I don't think so.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

I disagree. I bought the S5 because what it offered VS the HTC One M8 was better for me. I do new construction/remodel plumbing and a ton of tankless heater installs/repairs. I am around water just about everyday on the job. I FINALLY get to get rid of this ridiculously large and bulky lifeproof case and can go back to wearing my phone on my belt holster without being in fear that some water is going to take it out. I don't feel that the camera on the M8 is all that poor but if I have the opportunity to have a better camera on a phone that is also water resistant, I am going to go with that. For warranty purposes on certain items I service, I have to take detailed photos and send them to the manufacture and I would prefer those to be as crisp as possible while on the jobsite. The phone has worked great, is speedy and does everything that I need it to do. I took a look at the M8 on release date but felt that the elongated face was just more phone/screen ratio than I wanted and knowing what the S5 offered.

Simply buying for the name? Nah, I don't think so.

I've been wondering what the real-world use-case is for waterproofing (beyond novelty), and you nailed it.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

If they were spending less on a camera they wouldn't have put so much into developing the duo cam system, 2 flashes, and putting a 5 mp selfie cam. They spent a lot more on their cam, though not everyone has taken the time to understand the benefits, nor has HTC done a good job at explaining them.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

If they were spending less on a camera they wouldn't have put so much into developing the duo cam system, 2 flashes, and putting a 5 mp selfie cam. They spent a lot more on their cam, though not everyone has taken the time to understand the benefits, nor has HTC done a good job at explaining them.

I like the comment... I'm just hoping it don't push this thread into another camera thread.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

I like the comment... I'm just hoping it don't push this thread into another camera thread.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
Haha, exactly what I was thinking.. I think that dead horse has been beaten to oblivion.. lol

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Except the dual flash is nothing new, a 5MP 'selfie' cam is neat, but again, nothing new or technically radical, and the dual lens system, well, let's just say they could have invested a bit more time on it before releasing it. And by the way, Lytro made this kind of photography 'popular', not HTC.

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

Except the dual flash is nothing new, a 5MP 'selfie' cam is neat, but again, nothing new or technically radical, and the dual lens system, well, let's just say they could have invested a bit more time on it before releasing it. And by the way, Lytro made this kind of photography 'popular', not HTC.
Don't think he ever said HTC made this popular. He just said they DID spend a lot of time developing it for their device. And they did. And it shows.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Actually not that long ago, HTC was king and Samsung was the underdog, at least in the android world. HTC also created the first android phone.

Correct even as late as 2010, HTC sold more Android phones than Samsung.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I didn't imply Samsung is low quality, I'm talking about a comparison between the Ones and Galaxys. They are both recognized as high end devices with great features. It all comes down to what I said in the last post, IMO of course.

If HTC made TV's, refrigerators, etc...you could see a much closer competition in the phone sale battle because people would feel more comfortable with purchasing a brand they know. Unfortunately it takes word of mouth for the most part to get the M8 sold and it's not wholly their fault. I actually commend them for deciding to take on Apple, Samsung and LG in the phone market.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I would think of 'DROID' :p

LG sells tvs and refrigerators and others, but the name recognition hasn't really helped them.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
LG sells tvs and refrigerators and others, but the name recognition hasn't really helped them.

Also the same thing could be said about Sony. They make the almighty PlayStation, tons of cameras, tv's, headphones and speakers, computers, etc.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Name recognition makes a difference when one company has a big name and enters an industry where another company has no name entering in the same industry.

But a big name within an industry would mean more than a big name with no products in the industry. Apple doesn't make refrigerators and the like but they are a big name because of their reputation within the industry.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

And Nokia dominated for awhile in the past and we know how they are now :p.

Either way first doesn't mean much. He is talking about the current market.. Samsung does pretty much own it since they have cash from the sales and other departments.

HTC is trying and they do make a sexy looking phone.. That's for sure :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

This is very very sad. HTC makes fantastic phone. Samsung...not so much. Yet, because they spent hundreds of millions flooding the market with advertising folks will buy it "just because". Pathetic...:(

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

And Nokia was the pioneer or cell phones and we know how they are now :p.

Either way first doesn't mean much. He is talking about the current market.. Samsung does pretty much own it since they have cash from the sales and other departments.

HTC is trying and they do make a sexy looking phone.. That's for sure :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

I think HTC is doing more than trying, they are knocking it out of the park. Higher sales don't necessarily mean it's a better device, if that was the case then Miley Cyrus (or whatever popular music you young kids listen to) would be the best musician on the planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678