Fast Boot?

robbski300

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Under the Power settings, there's an option called Fast Boot. Is there any reason to NOT having this option checked? I'm not turning my phone off very often, but why would I NOT want it to start back up as quickly as possible when I do? I just thought this was kind of a strange option.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
With FastBoot on you never actually shut down the device while rebooting and if your trying to fix something that is glitched it will rarely help to reboot with FastBoot on. If you don't reboot often just disable it.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
With FastBoot on you never actually shut down the device while rebooting and if your trying to fix something that is glitched it will rarely help to reboot with FastBoot on. If you don't reboot often just disable it.

I don't think this is accurate. If I shut my phone off, not just restart, it doesn't stay on. It shuts off completely. I might be wrong, but I don't think it keeps the phone on

Posted via Android Central App

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't think this is accurate. If I shut my phone off, not just restart, it doesn't stay on. It shuts off completely. I might be wrong, but I don't think it keeps the phone on

No it doesn't keep the phone on, it's meant to help power on your device quickly, usually from a cold-boot.

The main issue with it is for those who need somewhat regular access to the Bootloader/Fastboot Mode or Recovery, which isn't a ton of people, which is why it is checked by default.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering this myself. Seems that there must be some kind of disadvantage, otherwise fast boot would be regular boot. Seems like it kills all operations as all my apps are shut and restarted when I fast boot (as if they were force closed).

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
No it doesn't keep the phone on, it's meant to help power on your device quickly, usually from a cold-boot.

The main issue with it is for those who need somewhat regular access to the Bootloader/Fastboot Mode or Recovery, which isn't a ton of people, which is why it is checked by default.

Well the question is, why have it as an option at all. Why not just always make the phone "Fastboot" ... is there some reason you wouldn't want it to fastboot? What is different about the boot sequence?

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

It doesn't "keep the phone on" It keeps the RAM powered on so it can boot faster but you also retain all the errors in memory you might be trying to flush out.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Well the question is, why have it as an option at all. Why not just always make the phone "Fastboot" ... is there some reason you wouldn't want it to fastboot? What is different about the boot sequence?

There are several older HTC devices that it is just common knowledge to keep Fastboot off. It has been improved so it functions alot better now but there are still times you have to disable it to get a full reboot. Its a common power cycle process that their support service will ask you to do before returning for service.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering this myself. Seems that there must be some kind of disadvantage, otherwise fast boot would be regular boot. Seems like it kills all operations as all my apps are shut and restarted when I fast boot (as if they were force closed).

There are very few if any non-HTC apps that support Fastboot.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't "keep the phone on" It keeps the RAM powered on so it can boot faster but you also retain all the errors in memory you might be trying to flush out.

Keeping the Ram powered on would only apply to restarts. If you power the phone off, the Ram isn't going to be kept on.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, I know this. With fastboot on, my phone booted in 18.65 seconds and I had full control of everything, including my widgets. With fastboot off, the phone took 48.12 seconds to boot to the point where I could unlock it, and the widgets didn't full load until the 1:13.45 mark. So it does make big a difference, makes sense that it would be due to the ram being cleared out on a "slow boot". I just wonder why the setting is in the "Power" section... does it save power to have it unchecked? I would assume so, since it would mean no power is being used to keep ram powered on.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The power draw with Fastboot on and the device off is minimal to the tune of less than a 2% additional lose. It take so little power to maintain RAM.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
There are very few if any non-HTC apps that support Fastboot.
So, then many apps are being affected by fast boot, meaning it should have a good chance at fixing glitches. Your first statements was perhaps a bit too broad is all I'm saying.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
So, then many apps are being affected by fast boot, meaning it should have a good chance at fixing glitches. Your first statements was perhaps a bit too broad is all I'm saying.

Here is where it gets complicated. An app can benefit from Fastboot without supporting it like widgets because the system elements handling the widget are saved through reboot.

Basically Fastboot saves everything in RAM through reboot but Android only keeps what it needs to boot disregarding what is beyond that but doesn't flush the memory either.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Here is where it gets complicated. An app can benefit from Fastboot without supporting it like widgets because the system elements handling the widget are saved through reboot.

Basically Fastboot saves everything in RAM through reboot but Android only keeps what it needs to boot disregarding what is beyond that but doesn't flush the memory either.
That makes sense. So, I'm gathering that normal boot is left as an option for completely flushing the RAM for situations in which it's necessary (glitches, etc)?

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Exactly Its great to use for fastbooting but always consider if your having a problem disabling it and rebooted might help and if you don't reboot much than it is not of much use for you.

robbski300

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Wow. This thread sure got interesting! Thanks for all the discussion, guys. It's definitely WAY faster to leave the Fast Boot on. Hopefully I don't run into this phone bogging down anytime soon, and I won't have to worry about powering it down in order to speed things up. My Moto Razr Maxx got to the point where I was turning it on and off 3 times a day. I'll keep it on Fast Boot, but maybe completely power it down once a week to "flush" it out. Thanks again!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc