Gunmetal Gray vs. Silver slippery-ness

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone with a gunmetal gray model every compared to the silver model to see if it felt as slippery? I've heard that the silver model has more of a texture on it as opposed to the smoothness of the gunmetal gray. Just curious if the two models felt any different. I have the gunmetal gray, but haven't played with the silver yet.

quicksilver53

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a silver m7 and it is too slippery. I keep a tpu case on it because I am afraid of dropping it.

Sent from my One X using AC Forums mobile app

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
The Silver and the Gold are both slightly less slippery. More traction due to the matte vs brushed and polished texture.

Sent from my 831C using AC Forums mobile app

kingvanimal

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I have the gun metal and after you use it for a few days it feels WAY less slippery than new or if you clean it. Using it all day your natural hand oil and finger prints supply plenty of traction. I've noticed that. The gun metal color is just too beautiful.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I have the gun metal and after you use it for a few days it feels WAY less slippery than new or if you clean it. Using it all day your natural hand oil and finger prints supply plenty of traction. I've noticed that. The gun metal color is just too beautiful.

^This.
Also, I ended up putting a $4 "skin" on the back and not only does it offer wonderful grip, but it makes the brushed aluminum look even better with a slight glossy sheen. Gives an already gorgeous phone a real "wow" factor. Tried a clear case and it made the phone look plastic whereas the skin still keeps the metal look.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the tip. I guess I just need to stop swapping my SIM to other phones and use it for a few days in a row.

For the first time EVER, I'm using a case.

I can't bring myself to use a case yet. Although I saw a thread here that someone had a case that snapped on the back and it looked exactly like factory minus the HTC logo.

Last edited:

kingvanimal

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I guess I just need to stop swapping my SIM to other phones and use it for a few days in a row.

I can't bring myself to use a case yet. Although I saw a thread here that someone had a case that snapped on the back and it looked exactly like factory minus the HTC logo.

Yes most deff. I clean my screen often but wipe the back every few days. You can't even see finger prints unless you hold it in a bright light and inspect. The phone is far less slippery. Now of course it could slide out of your pocket if you are on the couch etc...

Why use a case for the first 6 months if HTC will send you out brand new M8 if you crack your screen. :)

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Haven't used a case since I got it 2 weeks ago and haven't been close to dropping it. I will order a diztronic soon probably

Posted via Android Central App

AussieAndroid

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I instantly noticed the gunmetal grey M8 was LESS slippery than my silver M7.

I think it's the surface of the gun metal grey that lets my fingers feel somewhat tacky when there's any moisture which is more often than not.

Transcendence

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I noticed it immediately that it was going to be an issue to hold onto this phone. That said, the Diztronic Matte Black TPU case fixed that for me. It's much easier to grip, has a nice matte finish, and adds very little bulk or weight to the device. I'm not a case guy by any stretch, but this solved the issue for me.

kingvanimal

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I must have sweaty hands. I can put the gun metal version on my hand and almost hold my hand and the phone vertical and it won't slip out, maybe like a 75% slope. With finger prints on the back of course which are hardly noticeable.

Transcendence

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I must have sweaty hands. I can put the gun metal version on my hand and almost hold my hand and the phone vertical and it won't slip out, maybe like a 75% slope. With finger prints on the back of course which are hardly noticeable.

I feel like I could use it without a case, but the fact that there's times when my hands are dry and I could easily drop it makes me not want to take the chance. Gorgeous phone and feels great in the hand when you can get a good grip on it, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair