Poor battery life and lag after Verizon M8 Software update

jnugglet

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I updated my M8 (Verizon) with the newest software update 3 days ago. Now my formerly incredible battery life is gone. I can literally watch it drop almost 1%/minute while using Chrome. Just as frustrating the smooth and snappy performance is now also gone. I now get a second or two lag when performing most tasks. I tried some suggestions from HTC support to no avail. Anyone else have this problem?

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Did you reboot after the update? Also check your settings, the update may have changed something.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

jnugglet

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yep I did that and CS walked me through a cache dump as well. No improvements unfortunately.

- - - Updated - - -

Same settings as well. It's really strange.

mmmcheesedanish

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Fellow Verizoner...I'm not enjoying my battery before and after update but after the update I did a hard reset then reset the battery logic by doing the following:

Charge at least 10 minutes
With device off hold volume up, down and power buttons for 2 minutes
Release and then charge to 100%

Also I turn off 4G when on WiFi and turn on 4G and WiFi off when that's weak. Still not amazing but I think it's Verizon's network killing it plus those lame turds still haven't given us power saving mode or the ability to use 3G only

jnugglet

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah there probably isn't any way around me doing a reset. I'll try that and the battery logic reset. If that doesn't work I'm just going to take advantage of the 6mth free replacement due to screen breakage and have HTC send me a new phone for $30 after I spike this one on the pavement.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Fellow Verizoner...I'm not enjoying my battery before and after update but after the update I did a hard reset then reset the battery logic by doing the following:

Also I turn off 4G when on WiFi and turn on 4G and WiFi off when that's weak. Still not amazing but I think it's Verizon's network killing it plus those lame turds still haven't given us power saving mode or the ability to use 3G only

Charge for 10 minutes with device on or off?
Also, charge to 100% with phone on or off?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Sadly I don't see Verizon ever allowing you to set it to 3g. They want people on their LTE.

Rooting is always a way around their restrictions though.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
OP go to the battery settings then usage and see exactly what's eating up your power before doing a factory reset.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Xosder

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Sadly I don't see Verizon ever allowing you to set it to 3g. They want people on their LTE.

Rooting is always a way around their restrictions though.

I have mine set to just 3g when I am at my office (4g is OK here but not great). Just set it to 3g (or CDMA) through the LTE OnOff app. I change it to 4g when downloading otherwise I leave it to 3g.

My battery seemed to get worse after the update as well and GSam seems to think my time remaining is about half of what it was reading prior to the update.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have mine set to just 3g when I am at my office (4g is OK here but not great). Just set it to 3g (or CDMA) through the LTE OnOff app. I change it to 4g when downloading otherwise I leave it to 3g.

My battery seemed to get worse after the update as well and GSam seems to think my time remaining is about half of what it was reading prior to the update.

Ah so the app works for it? I know some other phones it required root and the app to disable it.

Verizon I know by default doesn't have the menu like other phones since they want people on LTE.

Xosder

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Ah so the app works for it? I know some other phones it required root and the app to disable it.

Verizon I know by default doesn't have the menu like other phones since they want people on LTE.

Yep the app still works with this phone. I had it on my last phone and was carried over when i picked this one up. I have not yet tried to root this phone so it's completely stock.

mmmcheesedanish

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Awesome tip. I don't want to root my phone and this app enabled 3G only thanks. Question though...for Verizon did you set it to Evdo only for only 3G and what setting is the right one to get it back to the phones default setting?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Xosder

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I set it to the one with everything except lte auto, then when I want lte I just set it to that. I'm not sure what the default is but you can still change it back to stock with the phones settings.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang