M8 Google Hangouts MMS Screwery

mboon1985

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
i've been getting the following message in SMS chats using google hangouts:

Couldn't Download MMS. Touch to download again. Size: 1KB (seems awfully small) Expires: 4/30 1:53PM.

Pictures were coming through - as were emoticons. i don't know what MMS isn't coming through, or what could be just 1kb. Ideas? its annoying me.

pixelcoffee

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I've been having the same issue with my Galaxy Nexus 5.

I got two of these errors yesterday, one was a text from my boss (so frustrating), and the other was from an unknown sender. (My phone couldn't identify the sender because it couldn't download the text message at all.) I've been trying to download them since yesterday afternoon, but I've had no luck.

Does your phone automatically update apps? I received an update to Hangouts two days ago -- my version is: 2.1.076. The next day, I start getting these errors.
What version are you on?

I called my carrier's support line, and of course they have no idea what's going on. So I Googled for other reports of this happening, and yours has been the only example I've found. So, if this is a brand new problem, I wonder if it's somehow connected to the software update?

Rob Mackenzie

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I just got my Nexus 5 and have also been having this problem for the last couple of weeks. I keep getting the same message as the OP (original poster) every time someone tries to send me an MMS. Usually if I ask them to re-send it, it'll work the second time around. It's just annoying.

I'd rather keep using hangouts for sms but I'm contemplating switching to whatsapp for all messaging.

What gives Google?

I'm in Canada so I don't have T-Mobile.

lisarobs

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
This issue is driving me nuts. Both my partner and I have Nexus 5 phones with T-Mobile. In particular we notice this problem sending and receiving texts from iphones. ESPECIALLY pictures. I can usually get just straight text, but I cannot download pics. I can see complaints about this issue dating back 6 months now on the web. Is this a google hangouts issues or a t-mobile issue, or a nexus issue??

anon(2947110)

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Alright so I guess I'm not going crazy and I'm not the only one having these same problems with Google hangouts/mms. It's getting really annoying and frustrating with this issue. Same thing over and over, usually happens when i get a group text from iPhones. It will tell me to download the picture and sometimes it's not even a picture just words. I don't know if it's a Google hangouts issue or a T-Mobile issue. Anyway to solve this? My app is also up to date

Posted via Android Central App

Joey Schweke

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here. Tried changing to all the different APN's and still no joy. Hangouts has also been showing "Message not sent, touch to resend." However it sends duplicate messages out. This is way under the caliber of Google.

Sean Delevan1

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: MMS on hangouts gone WILD.

So, like many people, I was not able to send and receive MMS messages with any consistency. For the record, I am using a Galaxy 5 with AT&T.

I ran through all the threads and saw the following suggestions:

Mess with the APN

Shut off your wifi (really and get massive charges)

Call AT&T

Call Samsung

So today I decided to try the SHUT OFF THE WIFI OPTION.

Everything was pretty much the same. No one was getting my pictures that were sent in texts and videos, no matter how small, were too big to send.

Out of nowhere, my son sends me a message and tells me to stop sending the same picture over and over. I asked him to clarify what he was talking about and he told me he was receiving the SAME PICTURE FOR 4 HOURS STRAIGHT.

One hour later my girlfriend called me and told me she received a picture of our new puppy that I sent CLOSE TO 100 Times.

At first I laughed about this and then I remembered:

Wait a second. If all of these pictures are being sent over my data plan because it won't work on wifi, what are my charges going to be?

THAT is the big question right now.

Until I know that answer, HANGOUTS IS OUT!