You have lost data connectivity because...

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Sorry have I missed something here? How are you meant to make calls if you don't have a sim card in that will connect you to your chosen mobile network......

Sprint/Verizon versions can use CDMA which will give you basic connectivity (up to 3G) without a sim card. I thought this was common knowledge?

sel1965

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Everyone is always quick to blame Sprint's network, although it's not perfect it isn't always the problem either. I had the S5 that I got first and could not keep an LTE signal for anything. I also got the M8 and have not had any of the problems that I had with the S5. This just is an example of the issue not being the network. Samsung somehow dropped the ball when it came to Sprint and their new network.

CountryDevil

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Everyone is always quick to blame Sprint's network, although it's not perfect it isn't always the problem either. I had the S5 that I got first and could not keep an LTE signal for anything. I also got the M8 and have not had any of the problems that I had with the S5. This just is an example of the issue not being the network. Samsung somehow dropped the ball when it came to Sprint and their new network.

Another thing to consider it does not matter what devices you have. Some like Samsung, in my experience, have some minor issue with signal management in general. BUT ANY manufacture including HTC, LG, Sony.... even the fruit thing that seems to be popular with the hipsters... can have these issues. In this case with my HTC, I think it really boils down to signal management and signal priority which needs to be tweaked.

In my case currently, which I already have a replacement coming for and may not need now, I think it has to do with signal priority and and LTE.

Before I go on ,lets keep the Sprint sucks, their network sucks, LTE is not in my area, 3G speeds are horrible to blah, blah, blah out of this since I feel that THIS issue has nothing to do with the network at all. Now, for those of you that do NOT have LTE in your area or your are "going through network upgrades" an Sprint's solution was to set you phone to "CDMA Only" setting there may be a technical reason for that.

I am in a fringe area at my house and my signal is not all that great living out in the sticks anyway and the reason why I have an Airave as well. In my testing, just to confirm things, I have found that with my M8 when it is set to "Automatic" or "LTE/CDMA", I will acquire a CDMA signal but it will drop out (no bars with an "x" above it) every so often. This does not matter if I am using a tower signal or a connected to my Airave. BUT when on "CDMA Only" it is rock solid and does not drop when connected to and CDMA signal. This leads me to believe that it has something to do with signal priority on the device rather than a Sprint network or tower issue.

That said, I had the exact same issue with my EVO LTE when it was first released. And this was fixed with a software update.

If there is anyone that has a similar situation and can do some testing to confirm that would be great. But I am pretty sure that it has to do with the signal priority which can be tweaked. We just need to wait for HTC/Sprint to fix and send an update.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Here is the problem. It's not the phone. On Sprint, the "Spark" network is still being deployed. All new "Spark" compatible devices will have this issue in areas where the updates are not complete yet. Basically is an eCSFB issue (call switch fall back).
Because all these new devices (tri-band if you will) use a single transmission path, they cannot be on LTE and CDMA at the same time. When the phone is on LTE and you get a call, eCSFB on the network side switches your phone to CDMA so your call goes through. It all happens very quickly.
But if the tower on which your are connecting is not 3G AND 4G upgraded, chances are you will have connectivity issues with tri-band phones. It all depends on the area you are in.

sel1965

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Here is the problem. It's not the phone. On Sprint, the "Spark" network is still being deployed. All new "Spark" compatible devices will have this issue in areas where the updates are not complete yet. Basically is an eCSFB issue (call switch fall back).
Because all these new devices (tri-band if you will) use a single transmission path, they cannot be on LTE and CDMA at the same time. When the phone is on LTE and you get a call, eCSFB on the network side switches your phone to CDMA so your call goes through. It all happens very quickly.
But if the tower on which your are connecting is not 3G AND 4G upgraded, chances are you will have connectivity issues with tri-band phones. It all depends on the area you are in.

I'm in KC and we have been Sparked for some time now and it still happened with my S5 but not with my M8. So just saying.

CountryDevil

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm in KC and we have been Sparked for some time now and it still happened with my S5 but not with my M8. So just saying.

I am in KC too but in a fringe area to the East.

@sel1965 I am not debating your points. I completely understand the technology and how it works. (I use to work for Sprint, prior to LTE though.) My point is that being in a fringe area where 4G, LTE and Spark is available on the tower I connect to but no device that I own can connect to 4G period as far as I am from the tower. The Airave at my house will never be 4G. The devices I have are an EVO 4g (Not LTE), EVO 4G LTE, Samsung Nexus S (WiMax Tech) and now the M8. None of the devices have ever connected to 4G where I am. Other than the M8 none of the devices have ever has an issue holding a signal. Now things being as they are with how the the tri-band devices work I am never on LTE an on pure CDMA and nothing to switch from LTE to CDMA and back an forth since 4G/LTE is not accessible but available. My feeling is that, in this case, it is the M8 scanning for LTE signals when it does the phone drops the CDMA signal as well and becomes unavailable during the scanning and signal acquisition.You can test this for yourself (even on LTE) and switch your phone to CDMA only. I will drop all signals until it switches to CDMA only.

All that being said, when on LTE/CDMA there is always a scan going on for the preferred signal. In this case LTE since it will give you the best performance. Since it can't detect a 4G signal and lock, it will continual to scan until it can lock. Then once it does eCSFB then does it's job properly by switching to CDMA when a call is made or received. Without the presence of LTE it will always be doing the scan to try and lock on LTE.

This is why I am curious if some tweaking to the signal priority might be necessary in order to ensure it is not so intrusive when LTE is not present or too weak to lock onto. Again, the EVO 4G LTE had the same issues when it came out until they pushed a fix out for it for the same kind of behavior.

sel1965

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I am in KC too but in a fringe area to the East.

@sel1965 I am not debating your points. I completely understand the technology and how it works. (I use to work for Sprint, prior to LTE though.) My point is that being in a fringe area where 4G, LTE and Spark is available on the tower I connect to but no device that I own can connect to 4G period as far as I am from the tower. The Airave at my house will never be 4G. The devices I have are an EVO 4g (Not LTE), EVO 4G LTE, Samsung Nexus S (WiMax Tech) and now the M8. None of the devices have ever connected to 4G where I am. Other than the M8 none of the devices have ever has an issue holding a signal. Now things being as they are with how the the tri-band devices work I am never on LTE an on pure CDMA and nothing to switch from LTE to CDMA and back an forth since 4G/LTE is not accessible but available. My feeling is that, in this case, it is the M8 scanning for LTE signals when it does the phone drops the CDMA signal as well and becomes unavailable during the scanning and signal acquisition.You can test this for yourself (even on LTE) and switch your phone to CDMA only. I will drop all signals until it switches to CDMA only.

All that being said, when on LTE/CDMA there is always a scan going on for the preferred signal. In this case LTE since it will give you the best performance. Since it can't detect a 4G signal and lock, it will continual to scan until it can lock. Then once it does eCSFB then does it's job properly by switching to CDMA when a call is made or received. Without the presence of LTE it will always be doing the scan to try and lock on LTE.

This is why I am curious if some tweaking to the signal priority might be necessary in order to ensure it is not so intrusive when LTE is not present or too weak to lock onto. Again, the EVO 4G LTE had the same issues when it came out until they pushed a fix out for it for the same kind of behavior.

I'm just glad I don't have a problem connecting to LTE in KC using my M8 like I did with the S5.

bolo185

May 2, 2014
Visit site
A question from a newbie:
My wife and I have HTC EVO 4G phones which are about 3+ years old now. A few weeks ago our phones started losing connection without us knowing it; the weather wouldn't update and we couldn't receive emails or text. When we realize the connection is lost we take the battery out and replace it and the phones work fine again until the next time it happens. It happens up to several times a day in different areas and cities so it's not a location problem. I had an additional issue when my battery died and my phone went into an infinite power cycle loop and wont boot up, I just found a suggested fix for that I'm going to try. As for the dropped connection issues, is there a fix for that besides having to remove the battery each time? Thanks in advance for any advice.

CountryDevil

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Try flashing the stock ROM again.

No need since it was STOCK out of the box, never rooted or flashed to any other ROM. But I know what you are saying. Additionally, I had an exchange in the process of being shipped at the time of me writing this. The new phone does the exact same thing. Again, I still think this has to do with signal priority that a fix will have to be put in for. Should HTC/Sprint ever decide to do such a thing...

AhmadS3

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
No need since it was STOCK out of the box, never rooted or flashed to any other ROM. But I know what you are saying. Additionally, I had an exchange in the process of being shipped at the time of me writing this. The new phone does the exact same thing. Again, I still think this has to do with signal priority that a fix will have to be put in for. Should HTC/Sprint ever decide to do such a thing...
Did you purchase the phone from an online market such as Ebay?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae