HTC One M8 unlocking in pocket.

Robbie Dunlop

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Surely I can't be the only one who is experiencing this, my m8 keeps unlocking itself in my pocket and going on to random things such as camera, Google, Facebook and calling people etc. Not sure if it's the unlock button or that silly double tap feature. Anyone have any idea what is causing it and how it could be stopped? Cheers, Rob :)

Posted via Android Central App

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: HTC one m8 unlocking in pocket.

Surely I can't be the only one who is experiencing this, my m8 keeps unlocking itself in my pocket and going on to random things such as camera, Google, Facebook and calling people etc. Not sure if it's the unlock button or that silly double tap feature. Anyone have any idea what is causing it and how it could be stopped? Cheers, Rob :)

Thats happened to me too. You either have to turn off unlock gestures or when you put your phone in your pocket do it with the screen facing away from your body. I found its not the double tap to unlock, but the slide to unlock while the screen is off feature. So as you slide the phone into your pocket, if its facing your body its registers as a slide to unlock.

m3coolpix

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

First post....been lurking since I got my M8 last week (iOS since v1.0, but an Android convert now :).

I've tried all the settings...it's worst when there is no lock screen obviously...pocket dialing, starting music apps, all sorts of issues. When I put it on either a code or a pattern....I've gotten the message that I've entered the code/pattern wrong so many times....it locks me out of the phone for 15 minutes. Infuriating!

I do have the M8 in a Supcase Unicorn Beetle Pro case. The screen overlay I think was contributing to the issue (it is very responsive, but smears/gets oily immediately after cleaning it AND thoroughly washing hands). I've since removed the screen overlay (it just has a low tack adhesive holding it in)...pocket unlocking seems to be a bit better, but it's only been a day so far.

imnraged

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

The phone only uses the gestures when it's held a certain way. I keep mine in my pocket upside down and it doesn't unlock.

o2k

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

The phone only uses the gestures when it's held a certain way. I keep mine in my pocket upside down and it doesn't unlock.

that's right. The gesture motion control only works when you hold the phone upside up (i.e. the upside has to be higher than the bottom side). So when you put your phone in your pocket have the upside(power button) down. I have been doing it this way. The power button hasn't misfired.

m3coolpix

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

FWIW....I can activate the lock screen with the M8 when the top of the phone is lower than the bottom, consistently.

If the M8 is stationary, it usually doesn't activate, but if it is moving from a position where the top of the phone is being moved 'up', it works.

In my daily work, outdoor photography, this happens all the time as I change position.

I guess it just depends on what you are doing.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

Us I often pull my phone out of my pocket to find its running open apps.
I agree it's probably slide to unlock gesture.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, I haven't had a single issue with unlocking in my pocket. I put my phone in right side up (power button on top) and this hasn't happened once since I bought this phone. I have all motion launch gestures on and no issues whatsoever.

Last edited:

CaptainOne

May 30, 2012
Visit site

It would be great if I could keep the double tap but remove the others that I only use when I do them accidentally.

o2k

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

My M8 only launches gesture motion control when I hold the upside no lower than the bottom side. Anyways, I also found the motion control to be very sensitive (in a good way). I always place my phone on my desktop when I'm at work. I found that I can just touch the phone, have it slightly move then swipe the screen to unlock it (not just to check time and weather) w/o having to pick it up.

budlight-budlight

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

u must have some big pants to even get it in your pocket let alone not break it and worried about it turns on must be one of them dudes with his chit hanging down to his ankles thinking hes cool!! not

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

u must have some big pants to even get it in your pocket let alone not break it and worried about it turns on must be one of them dudes with his chit hanging down to his ankles thinking hes cool!! not

You can't fit your m8 in your pants pocket? I find this extremely hard to believe....

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

This is interesting. I'll have to pay attention to this. I got the HTC One M8 due to gestures. I'm used to it from my Z10. And that didn't have those issues.

AussieAndroid

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

I haven't had any real issues with this regardless of which way my phone is in my pocket.

The only time it's done something funny is when I've put it in my pocket and my thumb was touching the screen and unlocked it as I was putting it in.

Raymond Elliott

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

It's an issue with me, too. And I have the screen gestures turned off. It's got to be the power button being pushed as I notice it happening when I'm active; bending, squatting, etc. A solution as I see it would be a power button that requires more pressure to activate. Every Android phone I've had has had really easy to push buttons although the M7 wasn't bad. Didn't happen with iPhone. Its buttons were very firm.

Aggrajag

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site

When I'm out hiking I take my phone out my pocket to take a picture and find it's already taken 50+. I have pattern lock on my phone and I cannot fathom how it's doing this and how to stop it.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

When I'm out hiking I take my phone out my pocket to take a picture and find it's already taken 50+. I have pattern lock on my phone and I cannot fathom how it's doing this and how to stop it.
Sounds like a Screen Gesture problem. If I remember correctly, the Screen Gesture will allow a user to bypass the locks screen to use certain features such as the Camera, Phone, and Texting (basically most of the shortcuts on the bottom screen dock in the stock ROM)

I would suggest going into the settings and turning off the Screen Gesture/Motion Gesture features. I, myself, had to do that because I found that with it on, my phone was unlocking itself in the holster.

Axefire

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site

I created a thread previously because my phone wiped itself twice! I believe it was because I had gestures on and lock screen set to bypass and had it in my front pocket so it somehow was rubbing against my leg/laptop bag. I turned gestures off and set lock screen and so far all good.....

Richard Navarrete

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

This has been happening a lot to me. I have a pattern on, but it still unlocks. I believe this is because the phone doesn't immediately lock. The default is 10 min I think, but unless it is immediate, it won't need the pattern to unlock after you turn it off (not power down) and put in your pocket. I'm going to try this now with it at to lock on immediate. Hope it works.