HTC One M8 on AT&T - Ongoing adventure

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
For those of you that know me, I've had and used many devices in my time. But, mainly the BlackBerry, and lately the Z10 & Q10.
We're in the middle of a few company mergers at work (we've bought two companies thus far, and more to come apparently), and more and more we're being pushed to test various Android and iOS applications, in addition to developing new tools etc. for users. on the Android and iOS platform. Thus not having an Android device (I have an iPad Air; which thus covers iOS) causes an issue for testing, or even general support.

Anyway...

I've been on the fence between the HTC One M8 and the Samsung Galaxy S5 for a while now. Finally, I just got back from AT&T (it always takes over an hour at an AT&T shop for service etc, why on earth is that? I digress) and I have purchased the HTC One M8.

Currently the device is sitting on the charger. I didn't even let AT&T configure it for me. Seriously, who does that? It almost feels weird not receiving emails, or social media notifications for a few hours.

I'm going to have dinner, then, and only then am I going to start setting up the device. Ah, all those apps to install, settings to set; so much to do...

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
re: HTC One M8 on AT&T - Ongoing adventure

I hope so! I need to get a case for it. It feels so slippery in my hands. A bit difficult with one hand/finger use at the moment. I guess I simply need to get used to the bigger screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm

pootyash

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site

I hope so! I need to get a case for it. It feels so slippery in my hands. A bit difficult with one hand/finger use at the moment. I guess I simply need to get used to the bigger screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm

I wholly recommend the unicorn beetle.

Posted via Android Central App

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site

Enjoy the phone, you will love it. Go ahead and download the Google Keyboard or SwiftKey. They will make your typing experience 10 times better. YouTube SwiftKey Flow and you can see how one handed typing is a possibility from your M8.

Make sure you get Google's Now widget up and running. You will learn to love it. The widget will go through your email and notify you when your flights are coming up, and it will tell you how bad traffic is on the way home after it learns your route via passive GPS when driving.

You are going to see a whole new world of awesome. The Q10 is cool in all, but the M8 is way more awesome.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Nice choice.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Enjoy the phone, you will love it. Go ahead and download the Google Keyboard or SwiftKey. They will make your typing experience 10 times better. YouTube SwiftKey Flow and you can see how one handed typing is a possibility from your M8.

Make sure you get Google's Now widget up and running. You will learn to love it. The widget will go through your email and notify you when your flights are coming up, and it will tell you how bad traffic is on the way home after it learns your route via passive GPS when driving.

You are going to see a whole new world of awesome. The Q10 is cool in all, but the M8 is way more awesome.

You might like SwiftKey better, but you realize you can do the same thing as flow on the stock HTC keyboard right? It's called trace in the settings

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

I just played with trace. Not bad at all. Albeit, I'd hate to get used to it then start using another device that doesn't support it (gadget guy here, always swapping devices).

Now to figure out the 'Sleep Mode'.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Google keyboard is my favorite bar none

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

I actually really like the HTC keyboard. This is the first android phone where I haven't downloaded my paid swift key in years.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

The first app I installed was SwiftKey. Thus I've hardly played with the default keyboard. I guess I should at least try it.

I chose this device because of gestures (slightly similar to BB10), but, I don't like that when unlocking the device, it vibrates. I've been told that this is related to gestures. A shame one can't turn this off.

I actually really like the HTC keyboard. This is the first android phone where I haven't downloaded my paid swift key in years.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

I will try to keep this thread updated as my 'On going adventure' thread on this device. I stole that title from a CrackBerry member. He switched to a Q10 from a Z10, and it is certainly an adventure for him ;)

So far today, I'm monitoring:
Battery use
Notification LED's
Unlocking the device

I want to see how these play out in my daily use of the device. I have to say, thus far I'm not wowed by the device. It has a nice feel to it, albeit VERY slippery (need to get a case later), and I guess I simply need to use it to get used to it.
After using a BlackBerry for so long (I still have it, need to get a SIM card adapter), Android KitKat was rather overwhelming just to setup the device!

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

The first app I installed was SwiftKey. Thus I've hardly played with the default keyboard. I guess I should at least try it.

I chose this device because of gestures (slightly similar to BB10), but, I don't like that when unlocking the device, it vibrates. I've been told that this is related to gestures. A shame one can't turn this off.

Weird. Mine doesn't vibrate when I unlock it.
Haptic is the first thing I turn off on a phone...

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

Do you mean the tiny vibrate it does to show double tap registered? Mine does that...but I like that because it's hard to tell when the double tap registers through the dot matrix case sometimes.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Yes, Sir. And it will do this if you use the scroll up to unlock, too. I guess that makes sense to give tactile confirmation.

Do you mean the tiny vibrate it does to show double tap registered? Mine does that...but I like that because it's hard to tell when the double tap registers through the dot matrix case sometimes.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
You buy a device, and what normally comes next?

Accessories...

So, I popped down to Best Buy, and bought an Otterbox Commuter case. I've always been an Otterbox lover. Not sure why exactly, but...
I installed the case, and so far so good. One exception is this, I feel it too, is a little slippery. I guess we will see how it acts over the next few days.

The saga continues...

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
You buy a device, and what normally comes next?

Accessories...

So, I popped down to Best Buy, and bought an Otterbox Commuter case. I've always been an Otterbox lover. Not sure why exactly, but...
I installed the case, and so far so good. One exception is this, I feel it too, is a little slippery. I guess we will see how it acts over the next few days.

The saga continues...

I would highly recommend a glass screen protector. I bought the Zagg one at Best Buy. It's expensive ($40) but has a lifetime warranty and we'll worth every penny imo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae