Back to my iPhone 5s :/

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
All phones that have that aluminum drive me up the wall. They get these burrs in the metal, insane scratches, even discoloration. I'm selling my 5s because of it. =/

?Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk?

I have the HTC One M7 2/3 time with case and 1/3 time without and I don't have burrs' scratches or discoloration. Maybe it's not the aluminum but the user.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm talking screen real estate when searching the web, Facebook, etc - when the on screen buttons are visible on the m8. I don't see how the phone grew so much with such little screen growth from the last generation.

As for the case and it scratching - yes. The iPhone is aluminum and will scratch easily as well - but even putting the biggest and bulkiest safe case I can find for the iPhone (which I would never use anyway) it is still way more pocketable and comfortable than how big the m8 would be with a case that offers just as much protection.

The volume buttons really through me. 4/5 display models at AT&T had the loose buttons. As does my stepdads but unfortunately his can't be returned ( I don't think ?)

Fair enough. To each their own.

Posted via Android Central App

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I got both, the HTC One M8 and the iPhone 5S and I have to say the screen makes a massive difference.

The iPhone is smaller and fits better in the pocket, yes, but reading news, Facebook, Twitter, emails ... is just so much better in the One M8.

May I sit on this couch?

If you'd told me a month ago my gold 5S would be in a drawer and I'd be using an HTC I would have laughed. I adore my 5S. Lord almighty, HTC made a helluva phone.

Also, it's the first android phone in forever that I don't want to root. It's perfect for me as is. Unlike others I won't mention coughsamsungcoughtouchwizcough

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
The htc build quality is good. But one drop and it got all scratched up. The volume buttons were loose and the tiny screen real estate was not what I thought it would be. I went back to my 5s. The screen is only a little smaller and the phone is way smaller. It just seems so disproportionate. I really wanted to like it too. Dang.

Should have used a case, lol

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I think the op does make the point for a good case for any phone. I have the M8 and love it but do keep it in an Otterbox Defender. I have dropped mine a couple of times. I have never owned an IPhone but I would think that would be good to keep in a case also.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
All phones that have that aluminum drive me up the wall. They get these burrs in the metal, insane scratches, even discoloration. I'm selling my 5s because of it. =/

I have the HTC One M7 2/3 time with case and 1/3 time without and I don't have burrs' scratches or discoloration. Maybe it's not the aluminum but the user.

I have the M7 as well. For the most part, it's held up well and proved to be reasonably durable. That said, it's had two unfortunate run-ins with concrete and a marine engine room, and the aluminum did end up with burr-like indentations in the metal. Minor ones usually aren't noticeable, but as they get larger I could see them becoming irritating or uncomfortable in the hand. It's probably a relevant concern only for those who don't use cases or covers on the phone.

I don't have a better picture at the moment...

mu6ypumu.jpg

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the M7 as well. For the most part, it's held up well and proved to be reasonably durable. That said, it's had two unfortunate run-ins with concrete and a marine engine room, and the aluminum did end up with burr-like indentations in the metal. Minor ones usually aren't noticeable, but as they get larger I could see them becoming irritating or uncomfortable in the hand. It's probably a relevant concern only for those who don't use cases or covers on the phone.

I don't have a better picture at the moment...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/02/mu6ypumu.jpg

Very easy fix. Take a small file and file the damaged area a little bit. Takes away all the burrs and there you go. I've done it on my m7 and it worked very well.

Posted via Android Central App

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Very easy fix. Take a small file and file the damaged area a little bit. Takes away all the burrs and there you go. I've done it on my m7 and it worked very well.

Definitely. I don't use the M7 on a day-to-day basis anymore, so I haven't been bothered enough to clean it up yet. :)

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm talking screen real estate when searching the web, Facebook, etc - when the on screen buttons are visible on the m8.

Android devs still need to work with Immersive Mode in KitKat, but the stock HTC Browser (which is not included in certain M8 variants) does utilize the full screen, hiding the status bar and navigation buttons. I don't really care for it, but at least there's progress... hopefully.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The 5S is a fine phone. I actually considered getting an iPhone myself because current Android flagships are too large. I have also heard complaints that the M8 does get scratched easily, and the iPhone is much smaller compared to the M8. If I remember correctly the M8 is one of the tallest flagships.
Get the Moto X :D

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
The htc build quality is good. But one drop and it got all scratched up. The volume buttons were loose and the tiny screen real estate was not what I thought it would be. I went back to my 5s. The screen is only a little smaller and the phone is way smaller. It just seems so disproportionate. I really wanted to like it too. Dang.

Tiny screen real estate? Its an inch larger than the iPhone, so not exactly how its almost the same. I understand to each their own, but it almost just seems like you never wanted the phone in the first place. And any metal phone you drop once and it will be scratched lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01