Should I get the M8 or wait?

abastuba99

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
So I am 14 and have had a $100 "smartphone" (Didn't even run android :eek:" but I am finally able to get a new phone. I am 14 but have enough money to get any flasgship phone, so price isn't an issue.

I was going to get the HTC one M8 in a few days but I heard something about a M8 "Prime". As far as I know, there isn't much details but ti probably will be much better as it probably be officially waterproof and have other things the S5 has but the One M8 doesn't.
So now I don't know if I should get the HTC one M8 or wait for a better version.
Right now I have a cheap "smartphone" so really anything will be a major upgrade.
So Should I get the M8 or wait for a better version? Any other phone recomendations? I would get the M8 if I had to get a phone right now, and there are a lot of good reviews, but there are a lot of negative customer reviews too. Also the Samsung S5 has 2x more reviews in the Verizon store, so I am guessing that it is a more popular phone.

TL;DR : 1. Should I get the HTC one M8 or wait for a better version?
2. Should I get the HTC one M8 or a different phone?

ChrisGonzales90

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
The prime is just a rumor and it may or may not be true.

Both phones have their good and bad sides. Both have negative and positive reviews. (some are from ones who don't even own the phone)

I'd get the m8, but keep in mind, its not gonna be like your old phone. its a true to life smartphone and not a toy.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
If you are asking is the M8 a worthy upgrade to your current $100 phone - Hell yes!
Is the M8 as good as a phone that hasn't officially been announced and might not exist - I would say a real phone you can buy today is more of a phone than one that doesn't exist yet.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Never wait on technology. Start enjoying it now and then you'll be upgrading again not long after the people who waited finally got their device.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
If you wait till the next best device, as said, you'll always be waiting.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I think the prime is probably the next max phone, so unless you want a giant phone I would say its safe to get the M8.

Are you paying full price or contract price? If your getting on contract, then I would definitely get the M8, if your paying full price I would say a Nexus 5 or Moto X would be better value, and you could get like a PS4 or Xbox with the money left over.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
This is how the smartphone frenzy starts you know. Get the device you want now, when the newest thing comes out, get that, too :)

No, seriously, as my Mum would say, "Time waits for no man". Thus get the device you want, when you want it. As others have already stated, there will always be something new, and 'apparently' better...

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
you'd be a leader with the m8 for a 14 year olds..... all the kids want the s5 even if it's sucky.....

it's what kids do these days!

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
When I was 14 I had an old fashioned analog watch. Timex - Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Don't wait around for a rumored device. The M8 is here, it's real and it's the best Android device money can buy. You won't regret it I can assure you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Get the M8 and enjoy it. I you wait to have the newest and the best, you will be waiting forever. There will always be something better and newer around the corner.

tippmann15

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I have an s5 now and love it, this possible s5 prime kind of made me think what the Frick.... However that's technology, phones are replaced within 6 months and that's the way it is.

Pull the trigger on that M8 mate! Get the phone you deserve!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Wow. A fourteen-year old with the cake to get a $650 phone.
When I was fourteen I was working for minimum wage and could barely afford pizza and a coke on Saturday night.
I suppose if mom and dad have cash and are fronting the whole thing and paying the monthly bill...wow.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I just saw that M8 is $99 with contract on Verizon. If you can get this deal, go for it.

Lilshaq65

May 27, 2013
Visit site
The M8 is definitely worth getting. Don't get the S5 it's horrible in my opinion I had it. I usually like Samsung phones but that one was bad and way to laggy and buggy.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

abastuba99

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey! Thanks for all the replies guys.
I went to Best Buy today and saw the HTC one M8 for real. It just screams quality. One question though. Does Samsung pay to be all over the place? In best buy the there was a gient S5 booth in the middle of the store while the M8 was on the side next to all the other phones. I started talking to an employee that was by the booth and asked him what phone he would get, and he started talking about all the amazing things about the S5. Then he started to compare the S5 to the iPhone and a bunch of other stuff. After I realized he was probably paid by Samsung to love a phone so much.

One thing that that he talked about was how the battery on the S5 was removable. I started to have my doubts about the M8 so I was wondering: How well is the battery on the M8? Will it die before my 2 year contract?
Also, how usefull is the waterproof on the S5? I really wish that HTC made it an easy choice and made the camera at least 8 Megapixels , waterproof, and somehow added a removable battery. Then the choice would be so easy. :/

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Battery on the M8 is very good and should be fine for 2 years, the camera is fine for most people taking average everyday snapshots, waterproofing is only important if you plan on dunking your phone in water. A few raindrops won't bother the M8 at all.

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The wait game is a never ending game..... And you very rarely win:).
My advice is get what suits you and move on.. (easier said than done) I upgraded to the s5 and still question my decision!! It Sucks.. I always come across a deal on c/l or something.. It Always works out...

Sent from Portland Oregon using my Samsung galaxy s5 on Verizon