is it okay to leave your phone charging overnight ?

AlejandroPH

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi, simple question. I apologize since this is the first time in my whole life I've actually owned a smartphone (until a week ago I was still using that legendary Nokia 3310 seriously)

So yes, is it okay to leave the charger on even if the phone's already 100% fully charged ? Or will it result in overheating ?

Also, is it normal that battery life for me typically lasts only a day ? I've done some energy-conserving techniques like WiFi only and reducing brightness but admittedly I use a lot of energy-consumptive apps all throughout the day

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Charging overnight is completely safe. The phone will never let it overheat from charging. Once the battery gets almost full, it trickle charges to keep it topped off, but never overdoes it. Completely safe.

Also, I get through a whole 15-16 hour day easily with heavy usage. That's with about 6:30-7:30 hours of screen on time.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Geezerb

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I plug mine in before bed & take it off when I wake. Lasts all day. No harm with modern chargers.

Sent from my HTC One M8

ahdez

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Ive wondered about this too.. I use to keep my old phone plugged in all night while sleeping but now I dont like too thinking it cant be good for the battery.. guess Its ok tho

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been doing it for years with zero adverse effects...

Sent from Portland Oregon using my Samsung galaxy s5 on Verizon

ChrisGonzales90

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
its fine. Thats the way everyone should be doing it. - while they sleep -

as for a days worth of battery life. thats great. it seems to be the norm now,compared to even last year when we still had phones lasting 4-6 hours.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's fine. I've done it with all my phones. :)

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
100% completely perfectly without a doubt fine to do this. Your phone cannot overcharge the battery cell.

Posted via Android Central App

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Hope so. Plug mine in every night.

Once every few months you should refresh the battery by running it down below 15%, turning it off, and letting it charge with the original charger. This has always helped me out when my battery stats start to fall.

adelcastillo78

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the smartphone world.

Just like everyone else said, yes it's fine.

Probably one of the biggest adjustments coming from a non-smartphone is charging it it daily. I remember my flip phone days where I could go 2 to 3 days without charging. But you gotta remember you basically have a pretty powerful computing device doing a million things more than your old Nokia.

I can tell you this; you won't miss playing snake!!!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, there is no problem. Also these cpu would have a sensor that stops charging once it gets over a certain temperature anyway and should shut down once it gets past a certain temperature.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
So yes, is it okay to leave the charger on even if the phone's already 100% fully charged ? Or will it result in overheating ?

Also, is it normal that battery life for me typically lasts only a day ? I've done some energy-conserving techniques like WiFi only and reducing brightness but admittedly I use a lot of energy-consumptive apps all throughout the day

You are fine leaving it on the charger. It reaches a certain point and stops applying any power to the battery. Same as the phone shuts down before it can drain the battery far enough to destroy it. (Yes lithium ion batteries can be destroyed if their charge drops too far)

Battery life depends on a lot of things. Double check that OS and System are not using a large share tho, because that would mean you are running into a Kit Kat software compatibility problem. Be aware that chat apps like Skype, Facebook and Steam are notorious huge power suckers.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
You are fine leaving it on the charger. It reaches a certain point and stops applying any power to the battery. Same as the phone shuts down before it can drain the battery far enough to destroy it. (Yes lithium ion batteries can be destroyed if their charge drops too far)

Battery life depends on a lot of things. Double check that OS and System are not using a large share tho, because that would mean you are running into a Kit Kat software compatibility problem. Be aware that chat apps like Skype, Facebook and Steam are notorious huge power suckers.

The m8 uses a lithium polymer battery, not lithium ion. Same charging practices though, just thought I'd clarify