Why HTC, why?

Bangkok Hound

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I live in Thailand where the M8 will finally be released next week. I've been waiting and planning on buying it. That is until the price was announced: 25,900 baht which is about US$800! Unbelievable! I can afford it, that's not the issue, but I don't know if I want it that bad. I could buy a decent laptop for that much. I think the M8 will be the most expensive phone in Thailand except for the 64GB iphone 5S. It will be even more expensive than the Note 3 was at its introduction. Anyway, I'm just venting. It looks like I'll be parting ways with HTC.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
You can buy a decent laptop here for the price of any of the "high-end" phones. By the time we pay taxes on it the price is nearer $700. Then you've to consider that here it's $100 ( 3239 baht ) per month to use it. How much there?

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
My new G Flex launched at nearly $1000usd depending the market, but I got it for less than 50 out the door and about 500 over two years. Including two years of service in the American market, plus insurance it will be almost $2000(!!)

Take your time and sort out what you need, the M8 is a powerful and efficient device after all.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
It's not like they're selling a necessity. It's a luxury to have a flagship phone soon after release. No shame in not being able to, or wanting to, afford it.

Bangkok Hound

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I think for me they passed the psychological price point that I'm comfortable with. I'm used to paying more for electronic devices here than I was in the west, but there has to be a limit. Anyway, I'm not 100% sure that I won't buy it, but I'm definitely leaning far in that direction. There is a mobile expo here that begins on the 8th so I might head down there and check out what is on offer. There are always promotions.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I think for me they passed the psychological price point that I'm comfortable with. I'm used to paying more for electronic devices here than I was in the west, but there has to be a limit. Anyway, I'm not 100% sure that I won't buy it, but I'm definitely leaning far in that direction. There is a mobile expo here that begins on the 8th so I might head down there and check out what is on offer. There are always promotions.

Can you buy a used one?

Posted via Android Central App

thatdennis

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I prefer new. It's not that I can't afford it. I can. The price (again, higher than virtually every other phone on the market) has left a bad taste in my mouth and has kind of turned me off of HTC.
Well really high-end phones at initial release in any market would be way more expensive, other than the U.S. or U.K. (who have contracts with the providers), so you shouldn't be surprised. If you're surprised, that would mean that you haven't seen a lot of high end phones. I also live in the Southeast Asia region, and high end phones are around $800-900.

I went to Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, all the high-end phones (Z2, M8) are around those prices. Previously even the M7, S4 and Z1 (if I remember correctly) on release was at around $800-900 USD. My Asus ultrabook (really good as I can play Skyrim heavily modded and Crysis 3 with no lag) costs about $950 USD. Not much difference right?

I know you can afford it, but if you say that it's really expensive then don't buy it, and don't compare phones and laptops. Both are different, and laptops are losing its price due to lack of demand.

Bangkok Hound

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Well really high-end phones at initial release in any market would be way more expensive, other than the U.S. or U.K. (who have contracts with the providers), so you shouldn't be surprised. If you're surprised, that would mean that you haven't seen a lot of high end phones. I also live in the Southeast Asia region, and high end phones are around $800-900.

I know phones are expensive, but this one is more expensive than every other one (except one) on the market now. So yes, I'm surprised that HTC is pricing themselves out of the market.

I know you can afford it, but if you say that it's really expensive then don't buy it, and don't compare phones and laptops. Both are different, and laptops are losing its price due to lack of demand.

I'm not asking for advice on whether to buy it or not. And I'm not comparing phones and laptops. I'm thinking of what else I could buy for that amount of money.

thatdennis

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I know phones are expensive, but this one is more expensive than every other one (except one) on the market now. So yes, I'm surprised that HTC is pricing themselves out of the market.

I'm not asking for advice on whether to buy it or not. And I'm not comparing phones and laptops. I'm thinking of what else I could buy for that amount of money.

Well then I misunderstood, my fault there. Just get the HTC M7? Well high-end phones are around that price, like Apple. The top companies are following Apple's tracks of selling high-end phones at a premium price, so don't be surprised in the future if HTC, Sony or Samsung sold phones with prices that high, it's the trend now.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Get a Nexus 5. For the price, you can't beat it. Sure, it's no longer the new kid on the block, but it still has high-end specs and will be a good phone for a long time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia