Wanted to love the HTC One m8, but too many issues

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I have been a big promoter and advocate of the HTC One M8. I got it on launch day however noticed the following issues over the last week.

1. Top of the screen was not flush and you could see a thin line of white glue at the top
2. Speaker grills at top and bottom had some white glue in them. Some holes were punched through all the way with many on the right side not.
3. Loose volume rocker
4. Scratch on back camera lens. Always had the phone in a case and treated and handled it with a lot of care.

I called HTC to inquire on if the rocker should at all be loose. It felt firm when I first got it and they said the rocker should be firm and that it should not create any sort of rattle. I told them out of the 10 phones I have seen in various stores all but one were loose and rattled so I figured it was by design. They were firm in saying absolutely not. The overall customer service experience with them was horrible. First guy was brutal so I called back and the second wasn't any better. Needless to say I traded it to a friend for an iPhone 5s and will use that until I can have a good look at the Sony Z2.

Really wanted to love the phone but the build issues and really poor customer service held me from continuing to.

For those who have a solid build without issues, you have an amazing phone. Could be the phone of the year.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
The speaker grills are designed that way. If that bothered you you should read up on it and you'll find plenty of threads explaining that.

Pretty sure the loose volume rocker is also designed like that. Seen so many people complain about it. Mine is also loose...big deal, it still changes the volume when I need it to.

The other two flaws just sound like manufacturing defects that come with new phones. Sorry you had to be one that dealt with that.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I just called HTC again out of curiousity and they confirmed the speaker grill should not show glue and the volume rocker should be firmly in place without loose movement or rattle.

As I said in my original post I wanted to love the phone a lot and those without these issues have an amazing phone.

The speaker grills are designed that way. If that bothered you you should read up on it and you'll find plenty of threads explaining that.

Pretty sure the loose volume rocker is also designed like that. Seen so many people complain about it. Mine is also loose...big deal, it still changes the volume when I need it to.

The other two flaws just sound like manufacturing defects that come with new phones. Sorry you had to be one that dealt with that.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I just called HTC again out of curiousity and they confirmed the speaker grill should not show glue and the volume rocker should be firmly in place without loose movement or rattle.

As I said in my original post I wanted to love the phone a lot and those without these issues have an amazing phone.

Well OK then.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site

My volume rocker is firm and not loose in the slightest.

All of the issues the original poster mentioned that bothered him are not present on my phone with the exception of the speaker grills, which are designed that way.

Sounds like he got a bad M8. I can tell you that my M8 is perfection, so it does sound like he got a defective device.

Posted via Android Central App

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
My volume rocker is firm and not loose in the slightest.

All of the issues the original poster mentioned that bothered him are not present on my phone with the exception of the speaker grills, which are designed that way.

Sounds like he got a bad M8. I can tell you that my M8 is perfection, so it does sound like he got a defective device.

Yeah he definitely did. And it sucks. And I'm sure the bad customer service just made everything suck even more.

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Haha yeah, it did not help.

I am a tech lover and know there are duds and lemons. Those who have a "proper" M8 have an amazing phone.

Yeah he definitely did. And it sucks. And I'm sure the bad customer service just made everything suck even more.

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Is it really hard to exchange it for a other m8? Sounds like an easy fix to me

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Yikes. You didn't notice any of these flaws until you were past your exchange period. Seems like things you would have noticed day one. I went over my phone top to bottom for the first few days I owned it. No flaws on mine. That just sucks.

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Just checked mine. Definitely does not have the issues the OP indicated. Seems like a lot of the m8 that have issues are from launch day or that time period. I got mine just 2 days ago and it's been wonderful.

OP did you purchase insurance on it? Not sure if insurance covers these but you probably could've tried to get a replacement phone. Since the phone is so new I doubt you would get a refurbished one, instead they'll probably give you a brand new one. Again you probably just got one from a bad batch

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, lesson learned. It went into a case in store and I noticed the screen not flush when I took it out of the case after the return period was up. I started to look up M8 issues on the forums to see if others had noticed the same and through that realized the other issues with it too. No worries here though, like I said those with a good build have an amazing phone.

I know this can happen, especially with launch day phones.

Yikes. You didn't notice any of these flaws until you were past your exchange period. Seems like things you would have noticed day one. I went over my phone top to bottom for the first few days I owned it. No flaws on mine. That just sucks.

- - - Updated - - -

No insurance, I never opt to buy it.

Just checked mine. Definitely does not have the issues the OP indicated. Seems like a lot of the m8 that have issues are from launch day or that time period. I got mine just 2 days ago and it's been wonderful.

OP did you purchase insurance on it? Not sure if insurance covers these but you probably could've tried to get a replacement phone. Since the phone is so new I doubt you would get a refurbished one, instead they'll probably give you a brand new one. Again you probably just got one from a bad batch

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
No issues on mine and I feel for you man. It sucks getting devices that have build issues. It's cool that you understand this and aren't irrationally pissed off at HTC.

I will warn you though that the z2 has had just as many, if not more, build quality issues. Hopefully they fix them before releasing it in the states.

Last edited:

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I know this can happen, especially with launch day phones.
Which is why I never buy any tech device at launch. As news of flaws filter into the company, minor tweaks are done to the manufacturing process. Plus, if you wait, you may even get a software update after first boot up, fixing even more things.

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you to everyone else. I am not angered about what happened, just disappointed as I really wanted to love the phone. Still feel it will be the Android phone of the year.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That sucks! I would hate to have a phone that has some building defects :(.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Well I just settled into a Flex, and I'm keeping insurance because 1) it shouldn't need a case and 2) with flex battery and other strange ideas I'd rather be covered if something spontaneously fails.

For something like the M8 and these odd reports about the camera shield especially, I'd suggest keeping insurance for about two months as 'lemon protection'.